The Student Room Group

ideal grades for mathematics!!

I'm only getting a 5 at gcse in maths so ive taught myself some grade 7 content and I'm finishing the cgp book so i can self teach A level mathematics.
My three main school subjects would be chemistry, computer science and economics.
I think I'll get a 77 in combined science and an 8 in computer science.

Is there an ideal number of As or grades at gcse i would need to keep up with these subjects?
all depends on the entry requirements of you college/sixth form if you wanted to do them at A level
It depends what and where you intend studying at university. The vast majority of universities and courses dont have any expectations at GCSE other than you have English Language and Maths at grade C or above and at least 3 others. For medicine or other very competitive courses or at the select universities it may differ but for 95% of universities and courses it really doesnt matter. Some universities require a B in English and for some Science or Mathematical subjects a grade B or occasionally A is required in Maths. If you intend sitting Maths at A level a grade 7 is usually adviseable.

I take it as it isnt really clear that you intend taking Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics and Maths at A level. You only need 3 so dont make life more difficult for yourself. Some courses in CS or Economics require A level Maths but there are universities that dont require it.
Original post by Paolo3100
I'm only getting a 5 at gcse in maths so ive taught myself some grade 7 content and I'm finishing the cgp book so i can self teach A level mathematics.
My three main school subjects would be chemistry, computer science and economics.
I think I'll get a 77 in combined science and an 8 in computer science.

Is there an ideal number of As or grades at gcse i would need to keep up with these subjects?
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
It depends what and where you intend studying at university. The vast majority of universities and courses dont have any expectations at GCSE other than you have English Language and Maths at grade C or above and at least 3 others. For medicine or other very competitive courses or at the select universities it may differ but for 95% of universities and courses it really doesnt matter. Some universities require a B in English and for some Science or Mathematical subjects a grade B or occasionally A is required in Maths. If you intend sitting Maths at A level a grade 7 is usually adviseable.

I take it as it isnt really clear that you intend taking Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics and Maths at A level. You only need 3 so dont make life more difficult for yourself. Some courses in CS or Economics require A level Maths but there are universities that dont require it.

i need maths for uni but cant do it at school because i sat foundation paper. This is why i need to do 3 at school and 1 at home
Original post by Paolo3100
i need maths for uni but cant do it at school because i sat foundation paper. This is why i need to do 3 at school and 1 at home

I am concerned that you will be overloading yourself. Even with a grade 8 or 9 some find Maths A level difficult. For someone try to study Maths from a foundation level and self teaching it I suspect it will be a nightmare and the amount of time it will take you is likely to take away from your other A levels.

I know most leading universities require A level Maths for Economics and Computer Science courses but there are still many universities that dont. Both Nottingham and Lancaster are very keen on the Computing A level and dont require A level Maths. There are many others that dont. What is likely most of these universities will require a higher grade at GCSE Maths than 5 so you might be better taking the higher GCSE paper to get a better GCSE grade than trying for A level at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest