The Student Room Group

want to leave job, but what's the best thing to do?adviceeee!!

i need to leave my job, it was never a permanent job for me as i didn't want to be a waitress my whole life but also some incidents at work ( nothing that i'm involved in) has made me want to leave even more i.e racial comments and abuse. I'm worried management seem to take a blind eye and tbh i don't want to work in a workplace that advocates behaviour like that towards one another and simply dismisses it.

Anyways i want to leave and have been searching when i have time but i've never wanted to leave more than i want to now, i want to leave in the next month or so but i have been finding it difficult to find a job/get accepted at a job related to my degree (design) i have applied to a fair few but i just need advice or that extra push in the right direction.

sometimes i contemplate just quitting and staying at home continuously applying for jobs daily, but idk.

any advice?? x
Reply 1
I've walked out of jobs without having another lined up twice in my life. One I had some money and was ok for a bit, the other I didn't but the kick-off was so big and my position so untenable (and I also knew it'd drop them in it for months, so spite was there, too) that I did the clichéd '**** yer job' thing and walked out.

Basically, if you don't have something lined up or you don't have some money to fall back on, try not to jib it. If you have either of those things, then the burden is less. But it's still not guaranteed you will get something else within a reasonable timeframe. be careful, consider everything. If it is that important to you to get out, then go. Just know what your position will be after.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
I would say if it is really unbearable get another waitressing job lined up and then search for something better.That way you are away from the awful job but still earning while you search for your real career move.
Original post by gjd800
I've walked out of jobs without having another lined up twice in my life. One I had some money and was ok for a bit, the other I didn't but the kick-off was so big and my position so untenable (and I also knew it'd drop them in it for months, so spite was there, too) that I did the clichéd '**** yer job' thing and walked out.

Basically, if you don't have something lined up or you don't have some money to fall back on, try not to jib it. If you have either of those things, then the burden is less. But it's still not guaranteed you will get something else within a reasonable timeframe. be careful, consider everything. If it is that important to you to get out, then go. Just know what your position will be after.

Original post by Anonymous
i need to leave my job, it was never a permanent job for me as i didn't want to be a waitress my whole life but also some incidents at work ( nothing that i'm involved in) has made me want to leave even more i.e racial comments and abuse. I'm worried management seem to take a blind eye and tbh i don't want to work in a workplace that advocates behaviour like that towards one another and simply dismisses it.

Anyways i want to leave and have been searching when i have time but i've never wanted to leave more than i want to now, i want to leave in the next month or so but i have been finding it difficult to find a job/get accepted at a job related to my degree (design) i have applied to a fair few but i just need advice or that extra push in the right direction.

sometimes i contemplate just quitting and staying at home continuously applying for jobs daily, but idk.

any advice?? x
It's cliche but it's true. It's easier to find a job when you have a job. It also stops you desparately grabbing for the first terrible offer. People will ask questions about why you left and you won't have a good reason which will make them question your judgement.
Original post by Anonymous

any advice?? x

Its easier to find another job whilst you already have a job. Plus money wise etc, it makes sense.
So if you can, stick it out until you find something else.
Try mcdonalds- they take on a lot of students and are very flexible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending