The Student Room Group

Are gold diggers happier?

Genuine question. I honestly feel like gold diggers are much happier people. They don't care about people usually and only care about money and having money instead of finding love, since love doesn't really give anything and money does.
yes, we are :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Genuine question. I honestly feel like gold diggers are much happier people. They don't care about people usually and only care about money and having money instead of finding love, since love doesn't really give anything and money does.

Coming back to the research on happiness being down to the following

1 A high self esteem

2 The expectation that good things will happen in the future

this indicates that 'gold digging' is highly compatible with being happy.

And besides, there's nothing wrong with setting high standards and only getting involved with someone that is nice and wise and financially stable, even if they are not perfect (eg age, looks).
In romantic relationships it is possible to have your cake and eat it.
The trouble with high status guys is they can get whoever they want. Equally they can ditch you once you fail to reach their very high standards. I was once married to a doctor, and it was all “if you don’t do this I’ll divorce you, if you do that I’ll divorce you”. I went and got cancer and so he left me , because he didn’t have to put up with it and other women were constantly throwing themselves at him. My friend lived with a multi millionaire. His attitude was it’s my way or the highway. The competition was models, rather than, in my case, nurses, receptionists etc. He ended up hitting her etc. He made her give up her fantastic job and instead he bought her a clothes shop, which again made her dependent on him.

It’s fine now whilst you’re young and beautiful, but when you’re not , he’ll move on. And if you want a good divorce settlement, a smart guy ( like my ex) will falsify accounts and hide money. Then you end up with next to nothing.

Looking back, I would have preferred a quiet life with someone who genuinely loved me , even if his means were more modest
Once they play with their toys they get bored of them and want new toys. The desire for material things is an endless loop that ends in you being unsatisfied and wanting more. Money can only make you happy up to a point where you're comfortable. Satisfaction and fulfilment comes from doing something meaningful and becoming better at it.
Think we're going to be hearing a lot of 'sugar daddy dating ruined my life' stories over the next 5 or 10 years
The thing is you give your best years to them, they spit you out. Then you look round and realise the nice guys have got married

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending