The Student Room Group

Two BTEC students achieved a 2.1 from UCL x UoN

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xarao
Did you just say you're busy on a TSR forum :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Stop it, you're making me laugh way too much.

Ye I don't just stay on tsr all day like you and pretend to laugh
Easy now, dont let it get to your head

You have done well

But it would be even better if you were not to disclose such a marvellous achievement and feat

Humility is good and beautiful trait
Original post by BlueSpikes
How about this for a comeback.
Yr12 BCCD
Yr13 AAA
2nd year medic in Sept.
💪😂💪
Reply 82
I thought this was going to be a nice thread, but sigh, everyone is just ******** on each other. Who cares what you did, A Levels or BTECs? None of it matters in the end. Christ.
Reply 83
Original post by searching123job
btec is alright if you want

Can make you do gud if exams not your thing

ppl have different abilities and ways they working well and suited toward

So it’s ok you shouldnt look down on ppl etc, i agree

But the qualifications are not equal in terms of rigour, that is all i wanna say

In terms of rigour, that's debatable.

But it's good to see that you finally agree that they are worth the same.
Did you do a Btex

Like i said, it’s alright, nothing to be ashamed of i think

Anyways yeah it doesnt matter

Just do what you gotta do to get where you wanna go is my motto

And for some that means btec and for others that mean a level

So all is good
No problem
Original post by Airmed
I thought this was going to be a nice thread, but sigh, everyone is just ******** on each other. Who cares what you did, A Levels or BTECs? None of it matters in the end. Christ.
I know everyone gets all defensive in this argument, but in STEM they are not equal.
Where i did my undergrad the failure & drop-out rate was higher in BTEC, and a lot of them just couldn't do the maths it didn't matter how many D*'s they had, they just couldn't do it. Now at the uni where i do my postgrad courses they don't even accept BTEC in my discipline (engineering).

BTEC might be fine for humanity & social science degrees, but for STEM & in particular math focused degrees, BTEC is not on par with A-level. This is not me applying my bias, or being a ****. It's just the way it is.
This thread is people trying to show off. So what if you've got a 2.1 from UCL? Your big head attitude will hold you back instead.

Go out and get jobs.

And for the record, I don't think they're us anything wrong with BTECs. They are easier, but the coursework side prepares you for a coursework based degree.

Original post by Afterlife?
This is the same logic as people who say 2:1 from Manchester metropolitan is the same as a 2:1 from Oxford. If they are the same why am I not doing a btec why doesn't everyone just so a btec

Yeah you're wrong there. Same grading system, not allowed to award the degrees if it's been made easier marking, external examiners make sure of that. And you all learn from the same academic papers. This isn't a developing country.
Umm no please dont twist my words

I never conceded they are the same

They are not same in more ways than one, from content to difficulty to workload to structure

Therefore their grades cant be compared like how you said triple d* is same as triple a*
Original post by Xarao
In terms of rigour, that's debatable.

But it's good to see that you finally agree that they are worth the same.
Reply 88
I'm glad to see everyone's coming together and seeing that 3 D* in BTEC is the same as 3 A* in A-levels.
Reply 89
No, I did A Levels. But they mean nothing now as I'm a graduate. Older you get, more worthless the qualifications become.

Did you do a Btex

Like i said, it’s alright, nothing to be ashamed of i think

Anyways yeah it doesnt matter

Just do what you gotta do to get where you wanna go is my motto

And for some that means btec and for others that mean a level

So all is good
No problem
Reply 90
Umm no please dont twist my words

I never conceded they are the same

They are not same in more ways than one, from content to difficulty to workload to structure

Therefore their grades cant be compared like how you said triple d* is same as triple a*

Facepalm.

I'm not the one that decided that 3 D* in BTEC is the same as 3 A* in A-levels. The governing bodies for education did.
Yeh same, i agree

In the workplace, it dont really matter tbh

And once you get some good work experience after graduating, that is what is going to help you in the world of employment
Original post by Airmed
No, I did A Levels. But they mean nothing now as I'm a graduate. Older you get, more worthless the qualifications become.
So is this like bullying for nerds mocking people about their grades instead of giving wedgies.😄

As long as you end up with the job you want at the end it does not matter.
You cannot deny though that btecs have a certain stigma and not everyone recognises them which is kind of important for a qualification.
Original post by Xarao
Facepalm.

I'm not the one that decided that 3 D* in BTEC is the same as 3 A* in A-levels. The governing bodies for education did.

Well then, they did a blunder isnt it

And it should be taken under review
Reply 94
@confuseddddd you do btecs whats ur ops

is btec d*d*d* = a*a*a*
Reply 95
Aim for those grad schemes bois
Yeh same, i agree

In the workplace, it dont really matter tbh

And once you get some good work experience after graduating, that is what is going to help you in the world of employment
Reply 96
Well then, they did a blunder isnt it

And it should be taken under review

I agree, I'm not sure how a D* in BTEC is an A* in A-level, when clearly D* is far more difficult to obtain.

Glad we finally agree on one thing buddy.
Reply 97
Original post by syrup.02
@confuseddddd you do btecs whats ur ops

is btec d*d*d* = a*a*a*

This isn't about opinions. We're talking from a factual perspective on whether or not they are equal, in which they are according to the governing bodies for education.
Original post by Airmed
Aim for those grad schemes bois

Yeah i try and aimed for them but i didnt get it

Sadly maybe i am not good enough. And recruitment process is very long

But yeh when you applying for grads schemes, a lot do not care about whether you got btec history or a level history to your name

what matters is online tests, interview skills, presentation skills, communication, confidence,, all that good stuff

This is what gets you the scheme and jobs
Reply 99
why do you think medicine universities dont acccept btecs ?
Original post by Xarao
This isn't about opinions. We're talking from a factual perspective on whether or not they are equal, in which they are according to the governing bodies for education.

Quick Reply

Latest