The Student Room Group

Can you appeal to student finance in-order to get more maintenance loan .

I’ve been supporting myself since after GCSEs. Just finished my Alevels and I was supporting myself all the way through right from meals, school resources, transport(my college was 2hours away so it was around 90ish a month), medications,everything. I even have my own fridge in the garage. Basically the only thing they have been providing is a place to stay. FYI I was working 12-36hours a week up until may before exams I obviously had to miss some lessons, so it was had to keep up with everything, I had zero social life because I was either studying, sleeping or working, nothing in between and I don’t wanna be in that situation again while at uni though I expect to work but not too much as it’s a full time course.

I haven’t applied for a student loan yet because am taking a gap year to save up some but I did some calculations and it turns out I will get approx 5000-6000 maintenance outside London. I totally not expecting even a £1 from my parents when I leave for uni because that never happened even when I had barely any transport to college and end up getting a credit card.

Btw I am 21, well I will 21 at the start of sept 2020, am I even a mature student? Though I had been in Education leading up to that time.
And also while calculating how much I was getting,(don’t remember which section and neither how it was stated) but I think it was something like household income plus yours if you 21+) I only put my parents because I am not expecting to work fulltime as am studying fultime
And I can’t apply for estranged/independent student because they require you not to have been in contact with your parents for a certain amount of time.

So lets say I apply, and get 5000ish , can I appeal for something more.
Reply 1
I don't think you'll be able to appeal, sorry.
Hi there,

this wouldn't be classed as an appeal so they wouldn't accept this. If you're under 25 we don't class you independent unless your have self supported for 3 years before the start of your course. If you have supported yourself for 3 years you can select this on your application and then send us 3 years worth of evidence i.e P60's. benefit letters etc. It needs to show an acceptable amount to show this is how you supported yourself and you would be best to put a covering letter with this with your name, customer reference number and short explanation explaining the above. Once received it will be up to the assessor if they will accept this or not.
Thanks,
Claire
Original post by Shish_bish
I’ve been supporting myself since after GCSEs. Just finished my Alevels and I was supporting myself all the way through right from meals, school resources, transport(my college was 2hours away so it was around 90ish a month), medications,everything. I even have my own fridge in the garage. Basically the only thing they have been providing is a place to stay. FYI I was working 12-36hours a week up until may before exams I obviously had to miss some lessons, so it was had to keep up with everything, I had zero social life because I was either studying, sleeping or working, nothing in between and I don’t wanna be in that situation again while at uni though I expect to work but not too much as it’s a full time course.

I haven’t applied for a student loan yet because am taking a gap year to save up some but I did some calculations and it turns out I will get approx 5000-6000 maintenance outside London. I totally not expecting even a £1 from my parents when I leave for uni because that never happened even when I had barely any transport to college and end up getting a credit card.

Btw I am 21, well I will 21 at the start of sept 2020, am I even a mature student? Though I had been in Education leading up to that time.
And also while calculating how much I was getting,(don’t remember which section and neither how it was stated) but I think it was something like household income plus yours if you 21+) I only put my parents because I am not expecting to work fulltime as am studying fultime
And I can’t apply for estranged/independent student because they require you not to have been in contact with your parents for a certain amount of time.

So lets say I apply, and get 5000ish , can I appeal for something more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending