The Student Room Group

Instagram to ask 'are you sure' to users writing offensive posts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48916828

Instagram is using AI to ask people who are displaying bullying or offensive behaviour in their posts if they 'are sure' they want to post it - offering them the chance to retract their comment if they change their mind.

Instagram have been plagued with concerns around tackling online bullying behaviour, and this new tool is an attempt to give users a second chance to evaluate the impact their words have before the intended user sees them.

What do you think? Would something like this popping up make you think about the words you are using? Or would it not bother you?

Scroll to see replies

I got 'are-you-sured' for calling someone numbnuts :rofl:
Pretty low bar for "bullying or offensive behaviour" no?
Reply 2
It'll have an impact, sure. Obviously someone who intentionally wants to attack someone will ignore it, and those who are more 'advanced' bullies won't use such obvious words, but two people caught up in the heat of an argument are more likely to calm down.
Safe space culture gone mad. Millenials will be overjoyed.
I think it's a good idea. I've gone to post things (not offensive) and I've asked myself why I'm actually posting it, like, am I just posting for the sake of it, kind of thing. I think this would make me and many people think twice about the impact of their comment. It certainly won't stop people from bullying, but it could potentially reduce it. A reminder that what they post online could come back to haunt them one day and the pointlessness of their hurtful comment would likely be a good deterrent too. It's a shame people feel the need to bully people online.
Original post by StrawberryDreams
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48916828

Instagram is using AI to ask people who are displaying bullying or offensive behaviour in their posts if they 'are sure' they want to post it - offering them the chance to retract their comment if they change their mind.

Instagram have been plagued with concerns around tackling online bullying behaviour, and this new tool is an attempt to give users a second chance to evaluate the impact their words have before the intended user sees them.

What do you think? Would something like this popping up make you think about the words you are using? Or would it not bother you?
If their AI is clever enough to detect this and/or behaviour that contradicts their guidelines then the user in question should be immediately penalised and the comment should never be submitted, i.e. automatically deleted by the AI. It won't stop people, they will ignore it completely as it's a very lazy deterrent.
I'm partially for it since the quality of comments made on forums and Instagram can be quite low. People on this website do not know how to debate and go straight to being rude or entirely dismissing someone else's argument without making a valid counter argument.
Original post by ThomH97
It'll have an impact, sure. Obviously someone who intentionally wants to attack someone will ignore it, and those who are more 'advanced' bullies won't use such obvious words, but two people caught up in the heat of an argument are more likely to calm down.

While that may be true I would imagine the measure was intended to curb the first kind of comment you mentioned, not the latter
Reply 8
I think it's a smart move. There was another platform that implemented the same feature a while back - can't remember the name - and in a lot of cases people did say 'no'. I wouldn't mind seeing this implemented elsewhere too. Lord knows how many people on this site need to think twice before they post anything...
Everything is offensive nowadays so how are they going to judge it?
Mixed feelings.
On the plus side, this measure would give instagram users an opportunity to stop for a moment and think twice before posting harsh words/insults or something worse.
Will probably be helpful for helping to prove poster intent when it comes to legal proceedings in relation to online harassment and breaches of criminal laws.
But it is appalling that the levels of human online aggression, anti-social behaviour and illegal conduct have become so endemic in social media that AI computer programs have to play a part in attempting to reduce the scale of the problem.
unlikely to make much difference but don't see the harm.
Original post by somerandomkid
Everything is offensive nowadays so how are they going to judge it?

Probably by AI comparing post attempts against a list of profanities, racial slurs and other most popular insulting phrases.
If it deters even person from being mean, then I guess worth it?

Of course, how well the AI would work and how annoying it might get is up for speculation.

I mean I call my friends "*****" "slut" "hoe" and the likes so if I am being consistently questioned, I might get sick of it but hey, you gotta lose some to win some right?
Reply 14
Original post by londonmyst
Probably by AI comparing post attempts against a list of profanities, racial slurs and other most popular insulting phrases.

I imagine that would end up backfiring, i mean simply look at any old song lyric and its quite liberally laced with racist and/or offensive remarks :lol:
It sounds a good idea unless they're going to start asking "are you sure?" when I try to upload a photo of myself in a bikini

Well boys we did it bullying is no more
I actually think this is a really good idea. It encourages people to take responsibility for and manage their own behaviour which should help reduce the number of offensive comments posted. It's a method of prevention which might reduce the burden on moderators, while still protecting freedom of speech (i.e. the initiative seeks to encourage self-censoring rather than the moderators being heavier on censorship and bans, etc.).
I didn’t even know you could post comments on instagram.
Original post by Andrew97
I didn’t even know you could post comments on instagram.

sigh Get with the times old man :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending