The Student Room Group

Question for people living at university

Do you get many bugs in your room? I get so many, today I was shocked to see a gigantic spider crawling under my bed, had to get out the ol' obliterator (hoover) and chase after it. But usually it's lots of small ones, like little moths. This year I'm on the ground floor so I don't dare open my window lest my room get infested. But I've never once heard anyone mention such a problem which is weird. Can't be just me right?
Original post by Anonymous
Do you get many bugs in your room? I get so many, today I was shocked to see a gigantic spider crawling under my bed, had to get out the ol' obliterator (hoover) and chase after it. But usually it's lots of small ones, like little moths. This year I'm on the ground floor so I don't dare open my window lest my room get infested. But I've never once heard anyone mention such a problem which is weird. Can't be just me right?

its can be common with older buildings, you tried some insect repellent?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
its can be common with older buildings, you tried some insect repellent?

No, but might be a good idea. Then again might not be a good idea to breathing that stuff in all day.
No, but might be a good idea. Then again might not be a good idea to breathing that stuff in all day.

you can get electronic ones if thats a worry for you

I lived in halls that were a converted hotel, so I did see the odd spider and moth. Otherwise, it was pretty bug-free. My flatmate had it worse, as his room had an old fireplace in it (which wasn't blocked off properly), so he would get quite a few big black spiders crawling down.
In my final year house, I was the first person to move in and it was just me and 40 spiders! Throughout the year we constantly had spiders and woodlice. I lived in a victorian house this year for my masters and rarely had any spiders or bugs so it was great in comparison. Hoping my graduate/professional house doesn't have many too!

Hey! Maybe speak to your landlords about it and see what they say??
Sophia :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey! Maybe speak to your landlords about it and see what they say??
Sophia :smile:

It's halls on campus but idk, I can deal with it, I was just curious whether other people had the same problem.

Quick Reply

Latest