The Student Room Group

Why do people lie?

So many of my classmates say that they failed and that they don't study at all but then get As and A*s. Of course one does not get such grades by not studying! And they stick to their lie the ENTIRE TIME, this one girl who goes tuition with me says that she doesn't understand anything and that she's going to fail but then gets good marks- she purposefully acts dumb, you would be surprised. One day my tutor asked me ' is _____ actually smart?' and I told him about her grades, 'then why does she act like that?'
'it's in some people's nature'

Why do they play such a stupid game? And they love it when you get less on the test. That's a bit toxic, because she'll take all your notes.
I think because it would be embarassing for you to proclaim that you're oh so smart and do 25 hours of revision a day to get mediocre or bad grades
Reply 2
Attention is all it is.
And they want people to think they put no effort in to get the grades to make out they are naturally clever or something. Grades are made by studying and that's it.
Loads of people do it.
I've always disliked people like that so I am brutally honest with how much I study and the fact that I put the effort in because I don't want to give the illusion to others that you can slack and still get what you want.

Original post by blacksheep123
So many of my classmates say that they failed and that they don't study at all but then get As and A*s. Of course one does not get such grades by not studying! And they stick to their lie the ENTIRE TIME, this one girl who goes tuition with me says that she doesn't understand anything and that she's going to fail but then gets good marks- she purposefully acts dumb, you would be surprised. One day my tutor asked me ' is _____ actually smart?' and I told him about her grades, 'then why does she act like that?'
'it's in some people's nature'

Why do they play such a stupid game? And they love it when you get less on the test. That's a bit toxic, because she'll take all your notes.
This happens to me as well. A lot of people lie on purpose because they don't want you to revise either, but I often think about this. I always feel like I'm never good enough or that something bad is going to happen and I'm going to fail even though I try my best, so I say "I revised..etc but I think I'm gna fail" and I somehow end up with good grades. then I feel guilty for saying 'I think I'm gna fail' when I didn't. I wish I had a higher self esteem sometimes, because it makes me look toxic.

edit: also my friend told me I'm "academically talented but stupid af in general", so I basically have no common sense, mess up a lot, am clumsy and clueless but work and studying I'm good at. that doesn't make any sense to me.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Yeah that's the thing though. These people are clearly putting effort in and getting grades but giving the illusion they didn't work hard.
At least you say you revised.

You should have higher self esteem and confidence in yourself. :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Glimmerz
This happens to me as well. A lot of people lie on purpose because they don't want you to revise either, but I often think about this. I always feel like I'm never good enough or that something bad is going to happen and I'm going to fail even though I try my best, so I say "I revised..etc but I think I'm gna fail" and I somehow end up with good grades. then I feel guilty for saying 'I think I'm gna fail' when I didn't. I wish I had a higher self esteem sometimes, because it makes me look toxic.

edit: also my friend told me I'm "academically talented but stupid af in general", so I basically have no common sense, mess up a lot, am clumsy and clueless but work and studying I'm good at. that doesn't make any sense to me.
thank you, but at the same time bad things happen to me a lot. if I said 'I might do well' and mess up I'll look like a clown.

I always try to help my friends as much as I can and tell them what websites I use, how I revise, how I get good marks, what parts of the mark scheme they need to focus on...etc but half the time they don't listen. then I feel dumb for trying to help and think 'who do I think I am anyway, the moderator?' and then stop. then I later feel bad again for not helping and try to help again, then it makes me look like I'm acting better than then so I stop again, and the cycle just goes on.

I had a friend at the start who I would send pictures to of my work, but when I asked her one day for a picture of her work when I was unwell and hadn't come in, she told me 'just google it lol' and started ignoring me. after that, I stopped sending her pictures of my work even if she asked. I gave her the same treatment she gave me. I felt so betrayed lol
Original post by -Quava-
Yeah that's the thing though. These people are clearly putting effort in and getting grades but giving the illusion they didn't work hard.
At least you say you revised.

You should have higher self esteem and confidence in yourself. :h:

Spoiler

Reply 6
I fully understand what you are saying but maybe try not discussing the exam after you've done it :dontknow:

I only give them help after I've got my mark and they meaningfully ask me about it, try that. :h:

I've been through the same thing when you talked about the work thing :s-smilie: people are *******s :colonhash:

Original post by Glimmerz
thank you, but at the same time bad things happen to me a lot. if I said 'I might do well' and mess up I'll look like a clown.

I always try to help my friends as much as I can and tell them what websites I use, how I revise, how I get good marks, what parts of the mark scheme they need to focus on...etc but half the time they don't listen. then I feel dumb for trying to help and think 'who do I think I am anyway, the moderator?' and then stop. then I later feel bad again for not helping and try to help again, then it makes me look like I'm acting better than then so I stop again, and the cycle just goes on.

I had a friend at the start who I would send pictures to of my work, but when I asked her one day for a picture of her work when I was unwell and hadn't come in, she told me 'just google it lol' and started ignoring me. after that, I stopped sending her pictures of my work even if she asked. I gave her the same treatment she gave me. I felt so betrayed lol
Thanks to reality programs, it's actually a bit fashionable to be a bit dumb these days.
Original post by -Quava-
I fully understand what you are saying but maybe try not discussing the exam after you've done it :dontknow:

I only give them help after I've got my mark and they meaningfully ask me about it, try that. :h:

I've been through the same thing when you talked about the work thing :s-smilie: people are *******s :colonhash:

yh next time I'll help them only if they ask.
good point, love island and **** :tongue:
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Thanks to reality programs, it's actually a bit fashionable to be a bit dumb these days.
OMG that is so true, you summed it up very clearly :smile:
Original post by -Quava-
Attention is all it is.
And they want people to think they put no effort in to get the grades to make out they are naturally clever or something. Grades are made by studying and that's it.
Loads of people do it.
I've always disliked people like that so I am brutally honest with how much I study and the fact that I put the effort in because I don't want to give the illusion to others that you can slack and still get what you want.
Before, it was to carry on a conversation and to look more interesting. I guess i lie to be less awkward and more interesting. That’s it. I made a vow to myself now that i’ve turned 19 to stop lying (obv i’ll lie at times not perfect) but turn the volume down a bit ya know :smile: I lie/exaggerate. more exaggerate tbh...
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending