The Student Room Group

3 hours notice before shifts

My work place is quite unprofessional we’re understaffed and overworked and tons of new workers have come and gone in the past months Iv been there. The staff barely respect me and worst off I don’t get told my shifts until the week of. In some cases there are times I don’t get told until 3 hours before like today and I’m going to be working until about 12 probably. Isn’t this a bit unprofessional and out of order. I had made plans for tonight and told a couple days ago I was working on Sunday and heard nothing since. I want to quit honestly, what should I do?
Original post by cameronx
My work place is quite unprofessional we’re understaffed and overworked and tons of new workers have come and gone in the past months Iv been there. The staff barely respect me and worst off I don’t get told my shifts until the week of. In some cases there are times I don’t get told until 3 hours before like today and I’m going to be working until about 12 probably. Isn’t this a bit unprofessional and out of order. I had made plans for tonight and told a couple days ago I was working on Sunday and heard nothing since. I want to quit honestly, what should I do?

Find another job obviously and enjoy handing your notice in. Not sure what you want its obvious they dont think about you or it doesnt suit, which means people would look for an alternative.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Find another job obviously and enjoy handing your notice in. Not sure what you want its obvious they dont think about you or it doesnt suit, which means people would look for an alternative.

Thanks, I just needed that push and to know I'm not overreacting or anything. No job, especially part time, is going to be perfect but it'll probably be a lot better than what I have now

Definitely find another job! What does it say in your contract about notice for shifts?
Reply 4
Original post by DrawTheLine
Definitely find another job! What does it say in your contract about notice for shifts?

The notice period is two weeks so not too bad
Thanks, I just needed that push and to know I'm not overreacting or anything. No job, especially part time, is going to be perfect but it'll probably be a lot better than what I have now

Check with the new job it is less random and more predictable. Obviously a lot of jobs especially for students are 0 hour.
The notice period is two weeks so not too bad

Sorry, I wasn't clear! I meant does your contract say anything about how much notice your company has to give you regarding when you are working?
Reply 7
Original post by DrawTheLine
Sorry, I wasn't clear! I meant does your contract say anything about how much notice your company has to give you regarding when you are working?

It doesn't really mention anything which I know means they're technically doing nothing wrong but in the past they have messaged me at least a couple days before shifts so they're capable of doing so
In both my old jobs, the latest I'd be told about a shift was 2 days. Generally you're told a week-ish early.
Absolutely unprofessional. Sometimes my work rota doesn't get posted until the Saturday afternoon for shifts starting on the Monday which gives none of the staff any chance to make plans for the week ahead. It's ridiculous how much of a double standard these situations end up being - staff are expected to give plenty of notice when they want to book holiday or time off yet we're expected to wait around for rotas. We're expected to respect the company's needs but are shown little respect in return.

If you've got things planned and they suddenly notify you of a shift with 3 hours notice, tell them you can't work it. They're not going to like it but you need to start standing up for yourself otherwise you'll get taken advantage of time after time. Your whole life shouldn't be put on hold for a part time job.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10

Original post by bones-mccoy
Absolutely unprofessional. Sometimes my work rota doesn't get posted until the Saturday afternoon for shifts starting on the Monday which gives none of the staff any chance to make plans for the week ahead. It's ridiculous how much of a double standard these situations end up being - staff are expected to give plenty of notice when they want to book holiday or time off yet we're expected to wait around for rotas. We're expected to respect the company's needs but are shown little respect in return.

If you've got things planned and they suddenly notify you of a shift with 3 hours notice, tell them you can't work it. They're not going to like it but you need to start standing up for yourself otherwise you'll get taken advantage of time after time. Your whole life shouldn't be put on hold for a part time job.

If it's 3 hours notice then presumably you're being told by text or email or something.

Personally I would just claim that I didn't see it, and if they started making a fuss I'd say you should have sent it with more than 3 hours notice as not everyone is glued to their phones or has their email open 24/7
Original post by ANM775
If it's 3 hours notice then presumably you're being told by text or email or something.

Personally I would just claim that I didn't see it, and if they started making a fuss I'd say you should have sent it with more than 3 hours notice as not everyone is glued to their phones or has their email open 24/7

This is what I do hahaha my manager tried to phone me twice yesterday and I just ignored it
Reply 12
Original post by bones-mccoy

Thank you for this I've definitely taken on your advice. They tried to ask me to come in for a shift I would normally never do and I just said I couldn't make it and thankfully there were no consequences.
Reply 13
Original post by ANM775

This actually happened and I didn't see the message or the calls until when they wanted me to start so there was nothing they could do other than accept the fact I couldn't make it!
Reply 14
This actually happened and I didn't see the message or the calls until when they wanted me to start so there was nothing they could do other than accept the fact I couldn't make it!

I made the mistake today of picking up the phone to a mobile number I did not recognise.

It was someone from the agency I work at trying to push me into coming in later, she was like "would you be able to come in tonight?"

I was like "No, sorry"

then she's like "There's absolutely no way you could possibly work tonight!?"

I was like "No, sorry I can't"

then she's "There's no way at all??!, there's no way you could come in?!"

me: "No there's not sorry"

Her "but you're in tommorow night, right?"

me " Yes"

*then she stops trying and eventually puts the phone down. probably to try and rope some other sucker into coming in.

Sorry but I value my days off, and don't enjoy working there. I'm not doing more hours than I have to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending