The Student Room Group

Please help! International Applicant to the UK

(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by jaxophonerennie
Hello all,

I’m a British expat living in Beijing attending a French high school, as I’ve always been in the French education system, and I’m planning on applying to Oxbridge this October and other universities a bit later for 2020 entry.

Do I include my high school transcripts, as in my coursework/regular test grades, in my UCAS form? If so, where? And if not, do I include them anywhere else, such as on Cambridge’s SAQ , or on Oxford’s equivalent, if it has one?

I’m asking because I don’t have GCSEs obviously, but I have a Brevet des collèges which I took in the same year which is an approximate equivalent, my first exam results from the Épreuves anticipées of the Baccalaureat (called AS in England if I’m not mistaken, taken in your penultimate year of sixth form?) and my predicted grades for my final Bac results. I’m just unsure as to what I should add to give them an idea of my academic achievement over the past year or two, as the UCAS form is designed primarily with English pupils in mind.

If anyone had any answers or suggestions I’d be very grateful.

Thanks

The UCAS form will have space to include your qualifications. Most international qualifications are included, but if they aren't, there's also an "other" option you can select. However, I'd expect French qualifications to be included.

You'll provide a referee who will be able to speak to your school performance more generally.

As your education has mostly been in French, it's likely you'll also need to provide some proof of your ability to speak English- often this is done in the form of an IELTS exam.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
The UCAS form will have space to include your qualifications. Most international qualifications are included, but if they aren't, there's also an "other" option you can select. However, I'd expect French qualifications to be included.

You'll provide a referee who will be able to speak to your school performance more generally.

As your education has mostly been in French, it's likely you'll also need to provide some proof of your ability to speak English- often this is done in the form of an IELTS exam.

(edited 1 year ago)
I’m British, English is my native language, both my parents are British journalists/writers, and as such I don’t think they require language certificates.

Thanks, I’ll look at the UCAS form in more detail.

Most unis will want some proof of your English ability- even for UK based students they set English GCSE requirements. You should definitely check with individual universities before assuming they won't want proof of your English ability.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Most unis will want some proof of your English ability- even for UK based students they set English GCSE requirements. You should definitely check with individual universities before assuming they won't want proof of your English ability.

(edited 1 year ago)
Just checked Oxford and Cambridge’s websites; they both state that only non-native English speakers require an English ability test.

Oxford and Cambridge are actually able to be less specific, as they have their own admissions tests and also interview. However, it's very likely that at least some of your 4 other choices will want some proof of your English language ability.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
I only included my Brevet and my Epreuves Anticipées grades in my UCAS application.

As for your "bulletins", most British universities won't require them. However, Cambridge does ask you to upload them as part of the SAQ. I don't know about Oxford.

The English language requirements for non-UK based applicants are usually very tricky. Many international applicants are in your situation (citizenship from an English speaking country, English spoken at home, etc.), and I know many of them who were still required to provide proof of their English abilities, because of being schooled in a non English speaking education system. As you mention you've always been in the French education system, I'd strongly recommend double-checking (in case you're taking the British/American OIB, it's widely accepted as a proof of English proficiency by itself).
(edited 4 years ago)
Your not fully understanding this...

You are a native speaker in your head and in fact in real life.

But you have to prove this to admissions departments. You have French education, which is taught in the medium of French not english.

You will risk alot of rejection by not having an IELTS.

Even citizenship doesn't matter, as a USA citizen... They made me take an English test to prove it despite having a US highschool diploma. Yes, exactly. (Dutch required it). Since they couldn't accept my education anyways which ended me up in foundation. Who also required it before accepting me.

You have to take the test. You are not a native speaker education wise.
Just checked Oxford and Cambridge’s websites; they both state that only non-native English speakers require an English ability test.
(edited 4 years ago)
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending