The Student Room Group

DSA Laptop - are they good

I basically just want to know if theyre practical for university - are they light and easy to carry around? Are they fast? Etc etc
Original post by s.aureus
I basically just want to know if theyre practical for university - are they light and easy to carry around? Are they fast? Etc etc

they can be quite basic spec wise but you need a decent processor to run a few of the AT programmes so it won't be too slow. they won't give you something you can't use :smile:
Maybe buy your own and get some money back from DSA.
Anyone have any idea of basic details such as RAM, model
Original post by Wellnowhe

It will have an i5 and 8gb ram. There are no one brand they adhere to, all providers merely follows a spec sheet set out by SFE.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Wellnowhe

the supplier will be able to tell you exactly what they can provide.
Reply 6
Original post by random_matt
Maybe buy your own and get some money back from DSA.

DSA dont reimburse unfortunately.
DSA dont reimburse unfortunately.

Yes they do, a small amount. I know because I have been in several conversations about this.
Reply 8
Original post by random_matt
Yes they do, a small amount. I know because I have been in several conversations about this.

Hmm, idk i asked my DSA advisor and needs assessor the same thing because i would much rather just do this, but they both said you can't do this because "DSA isn't a bursary"
My friend was given £400 towards a laptop of his choice providing his DSA officer agreed
Hmm, idk i asked my DSA advisor and needs assessor the same thing because i would much rather just do this, but they both said you can't do this because "DSA isn't a bursary"
They will give you a basic one but if you want a better one you can put money towards it to make up the cost
Reply 11
Original post by niteninja1
My friend was given £400 towards a laptop of his choice providing his DSA officer agreed

😭 thats not fair
I spoke to them again today and mentioned it but they said no😪 i think im okay with it though since atleast itll be completely free😂 its a Lenovo, ive used the model before theyre not too bad
😭 thats not fair
I spoke to them again today and mentioned it but they said no😪 i think im okay with it though since atleast itll be completely free😂 its a Lenovo, ive used the model before theyre not too bad

Are you sure it will be completely free? It should be that you pay the first £200 towards it! (Saying should as in that’s the rules as far as I know not shouldn’t as in making a statement over whether that’s right)

The basic one they offered was honestly a bit naff for me. I wanted to be able to actually run solidworks and matlab etc. So I paid extra to upgrade to a better one (in hindsight I should have got a better one but I had a bunch of problems with my supplier which messed things up so you should be luckier)
Reply 13
Original post by Snoozinghamster
Are you sure it will be completely free? It should be that you pay the first £200 towards it! (Saying should as in that’s the rules as far as I know not shouldn’t as in making a statement over whether that’s right)

The basic one they offered was honestly a bit naff for me. I wanted to be able to actually run solidworks and matlab etc. So I paid extra to upgrade to a better one (in hindsight I should have got a better one but I had a bunch of problems with my supplier which messed things up so you should be luckier)

Which is the one they offered you first?

And yes, there is the £200 contribution but my university have offered to pay that for me :smile:
Which is the one they offered you first?

And yes, there is the £200 contribution but my university have offered to pay that for me :smile:

Oh that’s good of the uni.

Honestly I can’t remember, I just knew I wanted ine with 8gb ram and preffereably an ssd, Tbf I’m not sure I ever ended up actually seeing the specs for the basic one as my supplier was randomly changed in the middle of the process.
Reply 15
Original post by Snoozinghamster
Oh that’s good of the uni.

Honestly I can’t remember, I just knew I wanted ine with 8gb ram and preffereably an ssd, Tbf I’m not sure I ever ended up actually seeing the specs for the basic one as my supplier was randomly changed in the middle of the process.

Ah right. I know nothing about laptops, but the one theyre offering has 8gb RAM and 500gb SSD - i hope thats good lol.
The upgrade options start at about 300 and id rather just save that money for my rent
Ah right. I know nothing about laptops, but the one theyre offering has 8gb RAM and 500gb SSD - i hope thats good lol.
The upgrade options start at about 300 and id rather just save that money for my rent

Well that sounds honestly pretty good, (I’m jealous, it definitely sounds better than mine) and yeh since the uni Is covering the £200, that definitely sounds worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending