The Student Room Group

Is dressing as cleopatra culturally offensive?

Thinking as dressing as cleopatra for a party- will wear the outfit and do my makeup in the same way. A few websites have said this is offensive, need opinions.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't know many ancient Egyptians to ask
Just don't do an accent. Always goes down badly.
Reply 3
Original post by blueamaraxx
Thinking as dressing as cleopatra for a party- will wear the outfit and do my makeup in the same way. A few websites have said this is offensive, need opinions.

Nobody will care honestly, and it's a minor issue. This cultural 'approproation' thing is mainly prevalent in the US, and most of these people that advocate it are hypocrites.
Well. It can't be offensive to egyptians, because she was a descendent of Ptolemy of greek origin, and the whole dynasty is very inbred.

Really though, you're dressing as a specific person, and so long as you know enough about that person, it's not offensive. It would be if you were "dressing as an egyptian" but you are dressing as an icon.
Don't think anyone will really care unless it is a party full of snowflakes who will most definitely get offended by it.
I wouldn't be offended. Cleopatra is a role model for me, and I always wear kohl round my eyes (plus have a cleopatra bobbed hairstyle)
Guaranteed to offend the ghost of Cleo's little sister Arsinoë.
If anyone complains about your makeup, just say you are dressing up as the 50s-60s hollywood starlet Liz Taylor.
Original post by Oxford Mum
Cleopatra is a role model for me, and I always wear kohl round my eyes (plus have a cleopatra bobbed hairstyle)

The actual Cleopatra or the Elizabeth Taylor movie portrayal?
The real one. She could speak 7 languages (I can speak a few). But the best thing, she was mega charming, and as sexy as *****.
I went to Egypt once and saw a real stone carving of her on a temple. Not sure if she could belly dance, but I even learnt that.
Original post by londonmyst
The actual Cleopatra or the Elizabeth Taylor movie portrayal?
The real one. She could speak 7 languages (I can speak a few). But the best thing, she was mega charming, and as sexy as *****.
I went to Egypt once and saw a real stone carving of her on a temple. Not sure if she could belly dance, but I even learnt that.

Cleopatra was highly ambitious, opportunistic and greatly valued books & learning.
But the entire Ptolemy dynasty gives me the shivers.
Plus a headache trying to keep up with all the family scandals and sagas.
Siblings marrying each other, murdering each other, plotting coup attempts nonstop, killing their own children to spite the spouse/half sister.
Like the first sentence, then it went a bit :s-smilie:
Original post by londonmyst
Cleopatra was highly ambitious, opportunistic and greatly valued books & learning.
But the entire Ptolemy dynasty gives me the shivers.
Plus a headache trying to keep up with all the family scandals and sagas.
Siblings marrying each other, murdering each other, plotting coup attempts nonstop, killing their own children to spite the spouse/half sister.
No but if I saw you I may fall head over heels for you as Cleopatra was supposedly an absolute beauty back in the day.
Actually, according to my guide, and the sculpture of her on the side of the temple, she was ugly. But she was charming enough to seduce Julius Caesar on a cruise up the Nile.
Original post by Themysticalegg
No but if I saw you I may fall head over heels for you as Cleopatra was supposedly an absolute beauty back in the day.
didn't realise ancient Egyptian was a culture
this whole cultural appropriation thing is absolute ********
Original post by Themysticalegg

Wouldn't advise it Cleo's relationship history included two murdered sibling husbands and two love affairs that brought chaos to the senate of ancient rome.
It's safer to fall head over heels for katie price when she's not singing or half the cast of love island. :biggrin:
Did Cleopatra wear makeup as well?
Original post by gjd800
Don't know many ancient Egyptians to ask

Cleopatra VII was Greek and most likely white as snow. She's not an ancient Egyptian.
Oh ffs, can't believe we even have to ask this now, these snowflakes really are ruining existence. No, it's not offensive. No one owns any culture or dress, you can wear whatever costume you like, just obviously don't pretend you're actually Egyptian etc.
(edited 4 years ago)
Actually, according to my guide, and the sculpture of her on the side of the temple, she was ugly. But she was charming enough to seduce Julius Caesar on a cruise up the Nile.

it's suspected that she charmed men with her intelligence and the whole aura of being a living goddess (she was also dressing up as Isis)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending