The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance at Cambridge postgrad?

I'm currently attending one of the 5 worst unis in the UK (according to league tables). It's ranked well for my subject (English combined) but overall it's among the worst unis and is pretty new with a poor reputation because of this.

I am currently at the end of my second year and working at a high 2:2. My average grade for this year is 59%. A 2:1 is 60% and my grades have been between 55-65, but I've had some extenuating circumstances this year and I'm sure that next year I can tip it over the edge into a 2:1.
At A Level, I ended up getting BBC overall, all in subjects related to English.
I've spent the last few years as an English tutor, and I've done work experience in a couple of high schools, maybe a month total split over 3 schools.

The entry requirements for the course I want to do, a PGCE in English at a secondary level, are a 2:1, 3 A Levels with an average grade of B, and at least 50% of my undergrad to be relevant to the postgrad.

So I have a 2:2 currently, but not far off a 2:1. I have BBC when they seem to want BBB. My undergrad is 100% relevant to their course.

I want to apply, but I'm worried about looking like an idiot. Are my grades too low to apply?
If you get a 2:1, you might as well try and apply, provided application costs aren't prohibitive (if applicable?). Worst case scenario you get rejected and do your PGCE elsewhere (they may be looking for a "good 2:1" though, which usually means more around an average of 65%). If you don't get a 2:1 then it's probably not going to be successful, even if you are on the margin (but again, worst case scenario they say no so if you really wanted to there's nothing to stop you; you don't have limited application choices like in undergrad applications).

I don't really think it matter so much where you do your teaching qualification, and depending on your interests and what you want to do, going elsewhere may be preferable; the Education Faculty at Cambridge is very focused on education research (as are all of their departments, to be fair), which may be less appealing if you're more interested in directly applicable teaching strategies etc.

@04MR17 might be able to offer some advice as well :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm currently attending one of the 5 worst unis in the UK (according to league tables). It's ranked well for my subject (English combined) but overall it's among the worst unis and is pretty new with a poor reputation because of this.

I am currently at the end of my second year and working at a high 2:2. My average grade for this year is 59%. A 2:1 is 60% and my grades have been between 55-65, but I've had some extenuating circumstances this year and I'm sure that next year I can tip it over the edge into a 2:1.
I've spent the last few years as an English tutor, and I've done work experience in a couple of high schools, maybe a month total split over 3 schools.

The entry requirements for the course I want to do, a PGCE in English at a secondary level, are a 2:1, 3 A Levels with an average grade of B, and at least 50% of my undergrad to be relevant to the postgrad.

So I have a 2:2 currently, but not far off a 2:1. I have BBC when they seem to want BBB. My undergrad is 100% relevant to their course.

I want to apply, but I'm worried about looking like an idiot. Are my grades too low to apply?

Your grades right now are a little on the low side and if you are rejected then it'll probably be for this reason. However, whether you'll be accepted or not is anyone's guess as I think you've probably within a shot and there's not much harm in trying provided you're happy with your other applications. :smile:

You can find the 2020 PGCE application thread here by the way. :wink:
Original post by artful_lounger
I don't really think it matter so much where you do your teaching qualification, and depending on your interests and what you want to do, going elsewhere may be preferable; the Education Faculty at Cambridge is very focused on education research (as are all of their departments, to be fair), which may be less appealing if you're more interested in directly applicable teaching strategies etc.

Pretty much this. Although the PGCE wouldn't focus much on research, that'd be MA Education or MRes Education or something similar. PGCE's always a lot more describable as "training" rather than "study" for this reason. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

You get three choices on your initial ITT application, so there's no harm in including one you're not sure that you'll get into. Although unis can/do set minimum standards to interview, getting through interview is a lot more about your potential as a teacher, rather than your existing grades.

However, for your PGCE, the uni you go to doesn't really matter that much- and there's lots of things to consider when choosing which uni you want to do your PGCE at.

Are you looking at Cambridge because you've got ties to the area and that's the area you want to work in when you qualify? If so, then it's worth applying and seeing what happens.

If you're purely interested in applying to Cambridge because you want to go to Cambridge, personally I wouldn't recommend this- the PGCE is a fairly standardised course across all providers, and when it comes to getting employment, it's much more useful to have contacts/experience in the local area, rather than having gone to a particularly prestigious university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending