The Student Room Group

Circumcision, what to expect.

Hello all, first post so hope it’s relevant and of some use to someone!

First off, I’m not going to include too much about the reason behind my circumcision. I’m sure everyone has their reasons, mine being medical, so the aim of this is to share my experience and feelings. If this helps anyone out, eases their mind or provides reassurance then... win!

I’m writing this within 24 hours after the op, so excuse the codeine induced ramblings.

*** Operation day **
I was asked to come into the day patient area at 1330. After about a hour and a half wait I was taken to my bed and given a gown and stockings to put on (DVT) prevention. Can’t fault the nurses etc, all super friendly and good at putting your mind at ease. I was given a few paracetamol and ibuprofen with a sip of water (relief after no liquids past 11.30). I was in a ward with 5 others and unfortunately told I was last on the list, oh well, didn’t exactly have much else planned for the day. During the wait the surgeon came in, introduced himself, gave me a quick look over and explained his intentions. Oh and commented on my fine ass stockings. As my time came round, I’m not going to lie, I was a little nervous. More so about the unexpected and the fact that a part of me (and in my opinion, a pretty well liked part of me) was about to be altered. But I had trust in the staff, and in the fact that it needed to be done.

I was wheeled through to the op-theatre and into the room where I would get my general anesthetic. A cannula was placed into my hand with no pain at all and a saline drip attached. The nurses explained every single step so it was super reassuring. Next came the fentanyl (no scientist but believe a hench painkiller) which gave a really pleasant head rush, followed by the anesthetic itself. Love to tell you more about that but I have zero recollection.

****Recovery ****
So I came round what must have been 30-45 min later in the recovery room. Super drowsy and kind of hungover, a bit confused if where I was but in zero pain. I’m the sort of person that wants to crack on with things so made an effort to sit up and shake off the sedative... don’t bother, ride it out.
After about 15 min I was wheeled back to the day patient ward, a few more checks of blood pressure and h/r were done and then all the machines were taken off. Still felt a bit groggy but a definite improvement. This is when I got my first look at the wound with the nurse. Basically the head of my penis was exposed with a white gauze wrapped around the top of the shaft. There was clearly some blood on the gauze but less than I imagined, I’d been given a local anesthetic to so everything was completely numb and pain free. Result, penis away and a bit more of a rest for about 30 min. At this point I was given a coffee (caffeine helps absorption of painkillers I’m told) and toast. I have absolutely no nausea or side effects from the anesthetic other than slight tiredness. After a few final checks the nurse got me up out of bed and changed into my normal clothes.
Side note - during the op, they used a duper sort of material above and below the penis, this was covered in a fair bit of blood however that’s completely normal, don’t freak out. The gauze was the only thing on my penis and did actually fall off when standing up. I just gently slipped it back on and put my boxers on, tight fitting, to hold it in place and offer some protection.
Still absolutely no pain. I was given a bag contained post op advice, and paracetamol, ibuprofen and codeine with instructions when to take. My partner picked me up and that’s it, home time, zero pain, zero fuss.

As soon as i got home I got into bed and chilled, the codeine probably helped this. I got another chance to look at what had been done. I could see the head of my penis exposed, the shaft below was swollen a fair bit and it covered where the cut and stitches must have been. I wasn’t brave enough to have a poke around and explore yet. I decided to leave the gauze on, it didn’t look like there was any fresh bleeding at all. I also managed to pee twice with no real issues (a little bit of a spray and higher pressure probably from the swelling and lack of foreskin) or pain. I settled into bed with a film and had a light snack and water, still no pain but I kept up with the painkillers because why not.
The first nights sleep wasn’t great, I thought I would be knocked out after everything but for some reason my mind was racing. Still got a bit of pain free sleep in and woke up feeling fine. At this point I decided to brave a shower, the dressing came off and no real change, still swollen and a tiny bit of bleeding but nothing too gruesome. I’ve not re applied any gauze or bandage, only a small bit of lubricating/ antiseptic/ anesthetic jell that I was provided by the hospital and a change of boxers.

This brings me as far as I can go, because this is now where I’m sat writing this. I plan to take the day easy and keep up with the pain meds. I’m really curious about the wound and my ‘new’ penis. How it’s going to look? Feel? How long to recover? Will I get any dreaded erections? Etc. all of these questions I hope to answer in due time.

Thanks for reading, I’d love to answer any questions about my experience and hear any tips of how it’s been for you. Especially what I can expect going forwards.

👍🏼👋🏼
Thanks for this - am half considering circumcision for reasons I won’t go into, so to hear someone’s experience is really useful. If you don’t mind me asking, which country did you have it done in?
This was done in the UK, got to say I’m really impressed with how I was treated. It’s still early days but things aren’t looking too bad down there, it’s swollen, it’s sore but I’m excited to see the outcome down the line. Have a good read online, be wary of the super against circumcision websites. There’s arguments for and against, all depends on your circumstance.
Hey, I was circumcised today under local anaesthetic (no general involved), how bad has the pain been for you post op? I’m drugged up and still numb at the moment but would be good to know what to expect (and how quickly you can get back to normal routine?)
Hey, I was circumcised today under local anaesthetic (no general involved), how bad has the pain been for you post op? I’m drugged up and still numb at the moment but would be good to know what to expect (and how quickly you can get back to normal routine?)
Hey!
Yep, first day I was completely numb so no pain at all. I’m 3 days in now, there has been a bit of swelling, especially around the stitch line but it generally looks pretty decent and neat. The pain for me has been absolutely fine. I’ve been taking paracetamol daily and this seems to have done the job. I really can’t feel any pain from the wound, and only slight discomfort from the head due to sensitivity on clothing.

I showered 24 hours after with no issues, I was up and walking/ seeing friends fine the next day too. Just take it easy for a few days, your body is recovering and needs the rest.

On night three I had a few moments of waking up with pain from getting an erection. I’ve read this is normal and does not effect the healing, it may even make it better by straightening out the wound and increasing blood flow. But use techniques to get rid of them / not encourage them if possible, too much stress too soon can’t be good.

I had been given some other pain meds (codeine) but these knocked me out and didn’t let me get on with my days so I’ve stopped them.
Original post by adollop
Thanks for the advice man :smile:

One other thing - did you remove the bandage yourself? (If so when?) or did you let it fall off?
Original post by Beachbum0026
Hey!
Yep, first day I was completely numb so no pain at all. I’m 3 days in now, there has been a bit of swelling, especially around the stitch line but it generally looks pretty decent and neat. The pain for me has been absolutely fine. I’ve been taking paracetamol daily and this seems to have done the job. I really can’t feel any pain from the wound, and only slight discomfort from the head due to sensitivity on clothing.

I showered 24 hours after with no issues, I was up and walking/ seeing friends fine the next day too. Just take it easy for a few days, your body is recovering and needs the rest.

On night three I had a few moments of waking up with pain from getting an erection. I’ve read this is normal and does not effect the healing, it may even make it better by straightening out the wound and increasing blood flow. But use techniques to get rid of them / not encourage them if possible, too much stress too soon can’t be good.

I had been given some other pain meds (codeine) but these knocked me out and didn’t let me get on with my days so I’ve stopped them.
It fell off literally hours after the op, think I slipped it back on for a few more hours / overnight. Wouldn’t worry about it too much unless it’s bleeding, tight boxers should help keep it still and in place.
Original post by adollop
Thanks for the advice man :smile:

One other thing - did you remove the bandage yourself? (If so when?) or did you let it fall off?
Do you know what kind of circumcision you got/asked for?
I was cut a couple of months ago and mine is high and VERY tight with no frenulum.

Quick Reply

Latest