The Student Room Group

Hiding 3 Goldfish at Uni

Any Ideas.

First year of uni didn’t really have many people of Uni workers come into my room. And if they do they email a day at least before they come in. Want to take to my fish. The tank is good size and they’re well looked after had them for years.

Mom just don’t want to look after them this year so willing to hide them on the odd occasion if Matience has to come in.

Don’t have cleaners come into our room. Only clean the kitchen.
i really don't know cos universities don't allow animals but this is such a cute thread I might actually cry at the title :frown: :hugs:
Rehome the fish if your mum won't keep them. It's not worth being caught violating the terms of your lease.
Goldfish require a large amount of space so I doubt you'd be able to fit a 200+ litre tank in a university room for fancy goldfish (you would need a much larger tank than that for single tail goldfish).
It's up to you really, am not encouraging you to break your lease however I have a hamster in my uni room that isn't meant to be there. What I would say though is compared to something like a hamster a fish tank is a lot harder to transport when you have to go home and personally I would be worried about the tank breaking and soaking your room.
I simply put my hamster in the wardrobe if there is a risk of someone coming round (like you my accommodation emails beforehand) as they aren't allowed to go in your cupboards but I feel like a massive tank would be a lot harder to hide tbh. You also have to be conscious about water noise from the filter that anyone inspecting could hear, my hamster just sleeps in the day so there is no risk of him making any noise.
For me personally the small risk of getting caught (small in my case) is offset by how good my hamster is for my mental health however personally I think fish would be a lot harder to keep hidden...
Original post by Demzypie
Any Ideas.

First year of uni didn’t really have many people of Uni workers come into my room. And if they do they email a day at least before they come in. Want to take to my fish. The tank is good size and they’re well looked after had them for years.

Mom just don’t want to look after them this year so willing to hide them on the odd occasion if Matience has to come in.

Student rooms (in halls or in student houses) are known for being spacious, so if the tank is too large to fit, you're stuck.

As CoolCavy said, transport, water damage, and noise will be your biggest issues. If you get caught with them, your tenancy could be voided and you'd be out with nowhere to live. It doesn't seem worth the risk tbh.
One thing to think about is how you're going to sneak them by reception. This is some next level mission impossible stuff!
Jokes aside, I would advise you not bring your pets to university. You may just have to tell your mum to give them to a friend for a while. They're only goldfish, it's not hard for someone else to keep them and feed them.

Best of luck in your sweet goldfish endeavours,
Joshua :smile:
Original post by CoolCavy
It's up to you really, am not encouraging you to break your lease however I have a hamster in my uni room that isn't meant to be there. What I would say though is compared to something like a hamster a fish tank is a lot harder to transport when you have to go home and personally I would be worried about the tank breaking and soaking your room.
I simply put my hamster in the wardrobe if there is a risk of someone coming round (like you my accommodation emails beforehand) as they aren't allowed to go in your cupboards but I feel like a massive tank would be a lot harder to hide tbh. You also have to be conscious about water noise from the filter that anyone inspecting could hear, my hamster just sleeps in the day so there is no risk of him making any noise.
For me personally the small risk of getting caught (small in my case) is offset by how good my hamster is for my mental health however personally I think fish would be a lot harder to keep hidden...

OMG you rulebreaker. Its like a support Hamster? Do all your flatmates know?
Original post by hallamstudents
One thing to think about is how you're going to sneak them by reception. This is some next level mission impossible stuff!
Jokes aside, I would advise you not bring your pets to university. You may just have to tell your mum to give them to a friend for a while. They're only goldfish, it's not hard for someone else to keep them and feed them.

Best of luck in your sweet goldfish endeavours,
Joshua :smile:

I think that would be easy especially during moving in. They could just be in a box in a closed container.
Any Ideas.

awwhhh :frown: I know a couple of people that have animals in their UNI rooms e.g geckos lol. I would agree with others and say is it worth risking your lease? Because you never know they might do a surprise visit and change their terms. It's not like fish are messy but that's the rules. Also, if I was in your situation I would be stressing nearly every day about whether someone would find out. How far is the journey as well and will it stress the lil guys out? Goldfish are often rehomed as people always want them which could be a good suggestion or try asking your Mum again? Hope you can figure it out!
Any Ideas.

The tank is a bigger problem than the fish. Hard to hide that or cover it up.
Find out the hall you are in and ask a few tenants what its like. Cant decide if uni accommodation would be more strict than private.
You should get fined the first time? Maybe £50? Its not like it's a hamster or anything.

Quick Reply

Latest