The Student Room Group

grandparents

this'll seem like an unusual post but I'm almost 17 and none of my grandparents have died yet, I'm grateful for that obviously and will be devastated when any of them die but the few people I've spoken to about this have said that it's going to hurt me a lot because I'll remember every moment of when each of my 4 grandparents die. My oldest grandparent is almost 84 and I worry so much about when one of them will die , I don't want it to happen but I know sadly it will, i don't know how I'd cope, I struggle hugely with mental health and things get to me each day and I'm worried that when my family and my life is changed forever that it'll affect me even more than it should do, my nan is 79 and has had cancer 2 or 3 times throughout her life and it's fair to say I'm scared of the next few years, in 2015 she had a brain tumour and that year took a toll on me hugely and has scared me about everything as I was first to notice anything wrong with her and it was horrible. I'm so scared for the future that I know I'll have to lose 4 people I've grown up with being in my life :frown: I know everyone will tell me to stop thinking about it and enjoy things now but I can't help it as I said I struggle with my mental health and my head gives me thoughts and worries about it all. it's going to affect me hugely and honestly I'm already so lost with how I'll cope, I've thought of all the worst scenarios and everything and it messes with me more everyday, the worry has been brought back today as my grandad (my Mums dad and my oldest grandparent) Was talking about how he hasn't been feeling good for a while and how he doesn't feel all there and his head is weird and stuff, he had a blood test and is at the doctors tomorrow, I know it's probably nothing but It's really bothering me. Any advice on any of the things I've just discussed? :frown:( thank you.
I know mental health can be tricky to deal with but when someone passed, it’s natural not to be okay. If your struggle mentally it might take you longer for you to grieve but I wouldn’t worry about it (I know easier said than done) just enjoy the time you have with them now. I’ve only got one grandparent left. One passed before I was born and the other two died 10 years ago when I was 8. So I’d say make the utter most of it while you can
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I know mental health can be tricky to deal with but when someone passed, it’s natural not to be okay. If your struggle mentally it might take you longer for you to grieve but I wouldn’t worry about it (I know easier said than done) just enjoy the time you have with them now. I’ve only got one grandparent left. One passed before I was born and the other two died 10 years ago when I was 8. So I’d say make the utter most of it while you can

Thank you for responding! I'll continue to make the most of the time I have left with them. especially now as im starting to get a nagging feeling that I'll lose one of them soon and I'm not prepared, I'll keep cherishing every moment with them.
My granddad (non biological) died last year and although I don't have his blood, he was the closest thing I had to a granddad, and I found it tough. Time heals all and death is just unfortunately a horrible part of life. Enjoy the time with them now :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by yzanne
My granddad (non biological) died last year and although I don't have his blood, he was the closest thing I had to a granddad, and I found it tough. Time heals all and death is just unfortunately a horrible part of life. Enjoy the time with them now :smile:

Thank you for responding ! I'll spend as much time as possible with them now, I'm so sorry he passed away last year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending