The Student Room Group

Where do Muslim women shop?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -Quava-
*cries*

I've shopped there ages ago and bought blue jeans and it rained and when I took my jeans off the blue color of the jeans had gone on my legs... never shopped there again.

Do you work there? Is that why you're offended? :biggrin:

Nope, never worked there and never shopped there.
Modanisa is the perfect place
Reply 42
Just googled it, good shout
Original post by CHANELDIAMONDS
Modanisa is the perfect place
(edited 4 years ago)
Zara especially always have long kimono style garments that basically reach your ankles. You should definitely look there esp now it’s summer they have more dresses in
Original post by -Quava-
Thank you :h:
In hindsight the question in itself must seems slightly dumb to others but I've been bought up in a non-practicing family so I have always worn whatever I liked through high school and sixth form but now as I am changing my lifestyle and I am consciously looking for "modest wear" when I shop it seems really difficult because I've never put thought in to it before.
Reply 44
I really appreciate the help x :h:
Original post by Fermion.
Zara especially always have long kimono style garments that basically reach your ankles. You should definitely look there esp now it’s summer they have more dresses in
I’ve always just shopped the usual high street brands. Mango and Zara are great for dressy pieces, and H&M have recently been doing quite a few suitably modest designs. New Look is also a good option. Basically most places! The only thing you may have to shop around for a bit more is jeans (assuming you want them) as it can be hard to track down the perfect, not tight but still flattering pair.
Reply 46
Thank you so much xx :h:
Original post by CookieMonsterxox
I’ve always just shopped the usual high street brands. Mango and Zara are great for dressy pieces, and H&M have recently been doing quite a few suitably modest designs. New Look is also a good option. Basically most places! The only thing you may have to shop around for a bit more is jeans (assuming you want them) as it can be hard to track down the perfect, not tight but still flattering pair.
I've posted before, but thought I'd add something:
If you're looking for just more modest clothing as opposed to traditionally Islamic, Zara is good. If you want a mix of both, Inayah is good but it's quite expensive so you should look at the sale bit:wink:

Strangely enough, it's nice to see this many Muslim women on TSR that aren't completely either radical or wayyy too liberal. No offence to those that fit in those categories...
Reply 48
Thank you for the advice.
I have just checked out Inayah and it is the best shout so far. :biggrin:
Come one now, my I am not that broke :lol:
Original post by anonymous1231231
I've posted before, but thought I'd add something:
If you're looking for just more modest clothing as opposed to traditionally Islamic, Zara is good. If you want a mix of both, Inayah is good but it's quite expensive so you should look at the sale bit:wink:

Strangely enough, it's nice to see this many Muslim women on TSR that aren't completely either radical or wayyy too liberal. No offence to those that fit in those categories...

Please :colonhash:
I suppose that by praying 5 times a day and reciting qur'aan with an interest to dress within Islamic code, you could say I fit in to one of those categories you've kindly made to divide us women.
Original post by -Quava-
Thank you for the advice.
I have just checked out Inayah and it is the best shout so far. :biggrin:
Come one now, my I am not that broke :lol:

Please :colonhash:
I suppose that by praying 5 times a day and reciting qur'aan with an interest to dress within Islamic code, you could say I fit in to one of those categories you've kindly made to divide us women.

If that were the case, I’d be in one of those categories too. I mean the ones dm’ing me saying women should tolerate abuse because Islam apparently claims women should obey husbands, and that I’m crazy for not hating non-Muslims, or that I’m a sl*t for not covering my hair, face, and rest of my body. I didn’t mean offence obviously, it’s just frustrating getting such comments.
Reply 50
I have not always been practicing so don't worry I have had those comments to my face.
Technically, I have had a taste of both categories but it is wrong for you to be judged but then judge the other category.
I am sorry about your comments though, I understand they are not nice but you should only take on board the polite ones and dismiss the disrespectful ones.
You must know that, in the right manner, Muslims do have a duty to look out for each other. :h:
If that were the case, I’d be in one of those categories too. I mean the ones dm’ing me saying women should tolerate abuse because Islam apparently claims women should obey husbands, and that I’m crazy for not hating non-Muslims, or that I’m a sl*t for not covering my hair, face, and rest of my body. I didn’t mean offence obviously, it’s just frustrating getting such comments.
Original post by -Quava-
I have not always been practicing so don't worry I have had those comments to my face.
Technically, I have had a taste of both categories but it is wrong for you to be judged but then judge the other category.
I am sorry about your comments though, I understand they are not nice but you should only take on board the polite ones and dismiss the disrespectful ones.
You must know that, in the right manner, Muslims do have a duty to look out for each other. :h:

Of course I take on the board the actual helpful suggestions, but I don’t think I’ve received any unfortunately. If it makes you feel better, when I wasn’t practising I also received quite a lot of scrutiny which isn’t fair. And to clarify, I don’t *judge* other Muslims. I do however get frustrated at those who will go out of their way to be dismissive of me and how I believe/practice - ‘radicals’ I’ve explained, but other more I guess liberal or modern Muslims literally make fun of the act that I pray, don’t want to date and fast regularly. Perhaps I should check my frustration, but if you knew the regular scrutiny I receive on a *daily* basis I’m sure you’d understand.

I’m sorry you too have received negativity, and hope inshAllah it gets better.
Reply 52
Ah, I'm not sure about your categories then.
I have had a severely low Iman period which I have saved myself from so I guess I don't fit in to any of the categories.

I understand then, I guess I have also had scrutiny from either end of your spectrum so technically I have always been in the middle. :lol:
Inshallah it does get better x

Keep your head down and follow the teachings and just dismiss the horrid comments. :redface:
Of course I take on the board the actual helpful suggestions, but I don’t think I’ve received any unfortunately. If it makes you feel better, when I wasn’t practising I also received quite a lot of scrutiny which isn’t fair. And to clarify, I don’t *judge* other Muslims. I do however get frustrated at those who will go out of their way to be dismissive of me and how I believe/practice - ‘radicals’ I’ve explained, but other more I guess liberal or modern Muslims literally make fun of the act that I pray, don’t want to date and fast regularly. Perhaps I should check my frustration, but if you knew the regular scrutiny I receive on a *daily* basis I’m sure you’d understand.

I’m sorry you too have received negativity, and hope inshAllah it gets better.
Original post by -Quava-
Ah, I'm not sure about your categories then.
I have had a severely low Iman period which I have saved myself from so I guess I don't fit in to any of the categories.

I understand then, I guess I have also had scrutiny from either end of your spectrum so technically I have always been in the middle. :lol:
Inshallah it does get better x

Keep your head down and follow the teachings and just dismiss the horrid comments. :redface:

Sorry just to clarify: by radicals I meant literally people telling me I can’t leave the house because I’m a woman, and by those too liberal I mean those who drink and don’t pray (which I don’t judge, we’re all on different paths) but who mock those who are a bit ‘stricter’. I don’t mean those who pray vs those who don’t:smile:

I’m glad we sorted that out anyway. I think most people are in the middle, but I live in the whitesttttt area in London and often only meet people on either end.

Just out of curiosity, what’s your ethnicity?
Seen a few in Iceland.
Reply 55
Well I am definitely in the middle of the spectrum.
Either side gives me a headache :lol:

Pakistani. :h:
And you?
Sorry just to clarify: by radicals I meant literally people telling me I can’t leave the house because I’m a woman, and by those too liberal I mean those who drink and don’t pray (which I don’t judge, we’re all on different paths) but who mock those who are a bit ‘stricter’. I don’t mean those who pray vs those who don’t:smile:

I’m glad we sorted that out anyway. I think most people are in the middle, but I live in the whitesttttt area in London and often only meet people on either end.

Just out of curiosity, what’s your ethnicity?
Original post by Notoriety
Seen a few in Iceland.

You just have to insert yourself in situations that you really don’t belong in don’t you?:wink:
Original post by -Quava-
Well I am definitely in the middle of the spectrum.
Either side gives me a headache :lol:

Pakistani. :h:
And you?

Ah right, which bit you from?
Bengali ofc:smile:
Reply 58
LOOL if you read my description it said clothing but yes I'll consider if it is halal :lol:
Original post by Notoriety
Seen a few in Iceland.
Reply 59
Original post by -Quava-
LOOL if you read my description it said clothing but yes I'll consider if it is halal :lol:

There's always a few in the ASDA. Dunno if George do the stuff you require, like :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest