The Student Room Group

Referencing missing quotation marks

Hi guy, I recently completed a resit coursework lab report, and now that I look back at it I forgot to add quotation marks on direct quotes. I’ve done the in text citation and a really good list of references however no quotation marks. Is this considered plagiarism?? Is it really serious that they’ll kick me out?? Also my turnitin score is 34%, a lot of the data is highlighted which came from the brief so I don’t know if this is high.

Thanks
You only need to worry if the text highlighted is someone else's work that you are passing off as yours- it will highlight commonly referenced material by design, as well as things like data and questions as they will also appear in many people's submissions.
Reply 2
So the text highlighted is likened to a text from another uni but my reference is likened to a different uni, does that show that my work is more genuine and the guy from the other uni probably copied it with incorrect referencing?? As well do quotation marks make a big difference ??

Thanks
I'm not sure what you're asking. It should be clear from the context that you were quoting/referencing as long as you've mentioned the source nearby.

The score is just to highlight areas of your report that are the same as other sources- high scoring submissions get checked for plagiarism.

34% does sound high although it depends on the amount of setup data common to all the reports. For comparison a 20,000 word group report came back 2% for three of four contributors and 36% for someone who copied and pasted from wikipedia.
Reply 4
I’m saying that as part of Harvard referencing quotation marks are required for quotes or paraphrased texts, in this case i haven’t used them thus I’m asking if they will mark it as plagiarism or simply deduct marks. In text reference has been made and also included in the list. Sorry for the confusion.
No, I would say on its own missing " marks from a quotation/reference does not constitute plagiarism. When you read it is it still clear that it's not your work because you mention the source inline.

Plagiarism would be copying and pasting sections/sentences/paragraphs in the middle of your report with nothing to indicate it's from another source.
Reply 6
The sources are written and after the source in brackets I write the authors name/website name and date.
Eg
Applications
Petrol can be used as fuel for vehicles (Richard P, 2002).

The source was used for the “Applications” section in my lab report so I guess the lecturer should realise that the whole thing is referenced.

In regards to turnitin I believe that since I included the given data from the brief in my report, others may also have included it so it increases my score.

FF3C03E0-0C02-48E2-B892-C49537E4893E.jpg.jpeg
Original post by Adi_help

Eg
Applications
Petrol can be used as fuel for vehicles (Richard P, 2002).

You don't need to reference common knowledge.

That's an important use for petrol and you've done the correct thing mentioning it where appropriate... but you don't need to reference common knowledge... sometimes it can be a difficult judgement call, but that use of petrol is extremely well known. I estimate 100% of people have seen a petrol station and know what it's for.

https://integrity.mit.edu/handbook/citing-your-sources/what-common-knowledge

often assignment briefs will tell you what audience you're writing for and the reason is so you can decide what technical language can be used without explanation and what information needs to be referenced... if it's not stated you can ask a lecturer

if you had some source that gave the %age of petrol that was used as vehicle fuel (or something) then that more detailed and non-obvious information would need to be referenced though.
Reply 8
The example was made up, the actual text is more detailed however I appreciate the help, and you are right common knowledge does not need to be referenced.

My final question for the thread is, I am a first year student at Coventry university and I’m doing a resit coursework. Previously I had emailed my lecturer saying ‘would I get penalised if my new report is unknowingly similar to my originally submitted report?’ He replied ‘possibly’.
In my turnitin report I can identify areas where it is similar to my report, these texts are not common knowledge and are quite experiment specific, however they don’t completely take over my report.
Also my original report had a quote from a book not referenced at all, which didn’t get picked up.
So my question is based on his response and the fact that I’m a first year student will there be much leniency towards self plagiarism?
Original post by Adi_help
The example was made up, the actual text is more detailed however I appreciate the help, and you are right common knowledge does not need to be referenced.

My final question for the thread is, I am a first year student at Coventry university and I’m doing a resit coursework. Previously I had emailed my lecturer saying ‘would I get penalised if my new report is unknowingly similar to my originally submitted report?’ He replied ‘possibly’.
In my turnitin report I can identify areas where it is similar to my report, these texts are not common knowledge and are quite experiment specific, however they don’t completely take over my report.
Also my original report had a quote from a book not referenced at all, which didn’t get picked up.
So my question is based on his response and the fact that I’m a first year student will there be much leniency towards self plagiarism?

Might be worth asking a subject librarian about it if you're still in coventry, they've usually got a masters (meaning they're quite experienced at academic writing) and they should have got a decent idea about what the department will expect.

Obviously you'll want to make it differ from the first report by quite a bit anyway if the first one got you a fail.
Reply 10
It is problematic, but it is a relatively slight offence and I'd be surprised to see any serious comeback from it.
Reply 11
So it’s only a slight offence, thank god. I thought they would be like you have used some phrases from your last report which is self plagiarism and therefore you shall be expelled from the uni, begone”
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest