The Student Room Group

Uk id help needed

Hi guys, basically long story short. I am English, I was brought up in the UK but I also spent a portion of my life living in Dubai (UAE) and therefore I have a UAE driving license and not a UK one. I am wondering if when I go to Uni if bouncers are going to challenge this? I'm nearly 20 right now, but admittedly look young. Not to mention that I am quite obviously British so it may cause confusion when I use an Emirates ID instead and could lead them to not believe me. Is there any way I can get around this? Thanks
i cant see any reason they wouldn't accept it, but i'd apply for a British driving license, or a provisional is the license isnt transferable just to avoid any hassle
Thanks! Do you know if by any chance- because I don't have enough time to fly back and do a test if my license isn't transferrable and I obviously want to have it for freshers week- do you know if I apply for a provisional, if in the future when I try to transfer my license they will allow me to do so as I applied for a provisional when essentially I may not have needed to, if that makes sense!!!
Original post by sophielouiseok
i cant see any reason they wouldn't accept it, but i'd apply for a British driving license, or a provisional is the license isnt transferable just to avoid any hassle
Original post by Mollyfloor_1234
Hi guys, basically long story short. I am English, I was brought up in the UK but I also spent a portion of my life living in Dubai (UAE) and therefore I have a UAE driving license and not a UK one. I am wondering if when I go to Uni if bouncers are going to challenge this? I'm nearly 20 right now, but admittedly look young. Not to mention that I am quite obviously British so it may cause confusion when I use an Emirates ID instead and could lead them to not believe me. Is there any way I can get around this? Thanks

Entirely at the discretion of the club whether they wish to accept you or not. If you know the club then get confirmation in advance. maybe have some additional proof like letter from uni and a scan of your passport. You can also use a pass card, but if they dont want to let you in its up to them.
If its student friendly then it will probably be ok.
DONT use your passport as if that gets lost its a whole world of pain.
https://www.citizencard.com/
according to the Gov.uk website you can use your dubai license for 12 months as which point you will need to apply for a provisional and pass your theory and practical.
https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

so I'd imagine applying for a provisional wont make much difference, you can use your dubai for 12 months to drive (and provisional for ID), and then you would need to re-do your test (but obviously this can be done before the 12months is up)
Thanks! Do you know if by any chance- because I don't have enough time to fly back and do a test if my license isn't transferrable and I obviously want to have it for freshers week- do you know if I apply for a provisional, if in the future when I try to transfer my license they will allow me to do so as I applied for a provisional when essentially I may not have needed to, if that makes sense!!!

Highly doubt they will accept an Emirati ID. I've seen EU driving licences be rejected when EU member states have standardised formats. Your best bet is to use a passport, or British driving licence, or UK residence permit if you are not a citizen of an EU member state.
Thanks so much for the help, I'll probably just do that then!!!!!!
Original post by sophielouiseok
according to the Gov.uk website you can use your dubai license for 12 months as which point you will need to apply for a provisional and pass your theory and practical.
https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

so I'd imagine applying for a provisional wont make much difference, you can use your dubai for 12 months to drive (and provisional for ID), and then you would need to re-do your test (but obviously this can be done before the 12months is up)
I was considering taking my passport worst case scenario however I'm just not sure it's worth the risk if I lose it, especially as I need it a fair bit would just be a nightmare. I think I'll just apply for a provisional. I just thought that by law they weren't allowed to discriminate against foreign forms of identification, but as stated earlier it's clearly up to the place. Thanks.
Original post by super_kawaii
Highly doubt they will accept an Emirati ID. I've seen EU driving licences be rejected when EU member states have standardised formats. Your best bet is to use a passport, or British driving licence, or UK residence permit if you are not a citizen of an EU member state.
Also I should mention I have an Emirates ID and also a Dubai Driving License so I do have a few forms of identification, thanks.
I was considering taking my passport worst case scenario however I'm just not sure it's worth the risk if I lose it, especially as I need it a fair bit would just be a nightmare. I think I'll just apply for a provisional. I just thought that by law they weren't allowed to discriminate against foreign forms of identification, but as stated earlier it's clearly up to the place. Thanks.

Technically no, but it's a case of familiarity. Hence why British citizen cards are also regularly rejected. They just don't know how to identify a fake for foreign ID so just reject them across the board to avoid the fines and workers being fired for providing restricted items to underage people.

Foreign passports are accepted due to legal requirements for entering the country-if it was a fake, it would have been identified at the border and you would have been denied entry at the border.
Also I should mention I have an Emirates ID and also a Dubai Driving License so I do have a few forms of identification, thanks.

Please read above reply about not being able to identify fakes.
Please read above reply about not being able to identify fakes.

Thanks, I read the above yeah I will just use a provisional license until I can transfer mine, and if not use my passport (which is British obviously). Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending