The Student Room Group

Gap Year

Hi, I am in year 12 and considering taking a gap year, after year 13 and completing my a levels, before I apply to medicine. I have a few questions such as: how beneficial is it to take a gap year? Am I at a disadvantage taking a gap year? What should I be doing in year 12 if I will take a gap year? Should I apply in year 12 and after year 13? What should I be doing in the gap year?

I know these are a lot of questions and some may sound dumb but thanks for your time!
Original post by GymBeast31
Hi, I am in year 12 and considering taking a gap year, after year 13 and completing my a levels, before I apply to medicine. I have a few questions such as: how beneficial is it to take a gap year? Am I at a disadvantage taking a gap year? What should I be doing in year 12 if I will take a gap year? Should I apply in year 12 and after year 13? What should I be doing in the gap year?

I know these are a lot of questions and some may sound dumb but thanks for your time!

Hello GymBeast31, :hello:

I personally took a gap year after year 13 and before I started my university course and would completely say it helped me make my decision in terms of the right university and course.

You are in no rush to complete your education, and if you believe that a gap year is something you would benefit from, then I would say go for it. Gap years can help you travel, or gain work experience and both are really important when it comes to a career. From past experience at many job interviews the topic of the conversation tends to focus on my gap year and the experience that I got up to during it.

I would say if you are certain on where you want to study, there would be no harm in making the application in Year 13 and then if you are accepted defer the offer for a year. I would check first to see if the university accepts deferrals.

I hope this helps,
Tom :hat:
(edited 4 years ago)
I never did a gap year but have a lot of friends who did and there were plenty on my course at uni as well. No one I know has ever been at a disadvantage.

There are a couple of ways you can go forward; you can either apply normally like everyone else and request to defer your place, or you can wait and apply a year later. Just bare in mind you may have to complete various amounts of work whilst you are on your gap year if you choose the latter.

the gap year is yours to do what you want. As long as you can justify it, you're golden. If you stay at home and do nothing all year because you don't want to do any work, then that may not play in your favor. But doing something such as travelling or working in industry have a higher chance to work in your favor. Saying this, it all depends on the university. Red brick unis may care, but others may not be bothered at all.
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
:bird:

you just called him crazy haha :giggle:
Original post by Kangaroo17
you just called him crazy haha :giggle:

Not at all, I mistook this for fist cheer. Anyway changed it to a wave to avoid confusion :five:.

Quick Reply

Latest