The Student Room Group

Will Brexit be like the collapse of the Soviet Union?

This sounds stupid but the economy will go down, and the vibes will change. Will it be similar?

Scroll to see replies

Probably not.
The Soviet Union was about building walls. The EU, and Britain's participation in it, is and was about building bridges. We have shot ourselves in the foot.
I certainly hope so. Unfortunately things need to get a lot worse before they can get better which is usually the case with anything meaningful
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
The Soviet Union was about building walls. The EU, and Britain's participation in it, is and was about building bridges. We have shot ourselves in the foot.

Yawn

The USSR (for all its flaws) was a successful bastion of anti imperialism, mass wealth redistribution and a technological superpower. The EU is none of those things and is instead a neoliberal asset stripper, mass immigration and other social ills. More people miss the USSR than will ever miss the EU
No, no where near to the same levels of the chaos that was the 90s for the in the post soviet nations
(edited 4 years ago)
Doubt it.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony

Some of you guys really need to pull our head away from the EU funded education system that have given you a distorted version of the EU! Leaving the EU is not right wing, it's not building walls, it's not racist. The mirror oppersite is more accurate in reality
Original post by Alt Tankie
Yawn

The USSR (for all its flaws) was a successful bastion of anti imperialism, mass wealth redistribution and a technological superpower. The EU is none of those things and is instead a neoliberal asset stripper, mass immigration and other social ills. More people miss the USSR than will ever miss the EU

Such trash I hardly know where to start.

Technology - the EU countries wildly exceed the USSR in every sphere of technology apart from perhaps the development of hydrogen bombs and possibly some aircraft, although the latter is doubtful.

Immigration - people were always desperate to escape the Soviet system, especially people who lived in the satellite countries of the Warsaw Pact in E. Europe. You yourself admit that the big pressure on the EU is inward migration, not people desperate to leave. Perhaps you aren't able to tell the difference between leaving and coming in?

Neoliberalism - a global phenomenon. The EU is one of the few great powers in the world that attempts to challenge unbridled capitalist extremism in some areas, for example, monopolistic practises and labour exploitation. The specific thing you mention, asset stripping, appears to be a major motive of the people behind Brexit - it is what they plan for the UK on leaving.

More people miss the USSR - don't be so ridiculous. Only a handful of people even in Russia would want to return to it.
Original post by Ratchet Hoe
This sounds stupid but the economy will go down, and the vibes will change. Will it be similar?

In short no I don't think so, because I don't think we we will in a meaningful way. However losing our contribution entirely would be a disaster for the EU but not a death sentence.
Reply 10
Yawn

The USSR (for all its flaws) was a successful bastion of anti imperialism, mass wealth redistribution and a technological superpower.

Seriously...?
Original post by Burton Bridge
Some of you guys really need to pull our head away from the EU funded education system that have given you a distorted version of the EU!

You do see the irony in your statement right? Considering you're peddling a distorted vision of the EU as well.
no, Brexit will be far less orderly :h:
The UK is the only country that is ever leaving the EU. It is unprecedented. The UK will be going into uncharted territory.
Does this mean we get to occupy Berlin and have satellite nations?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Such trash I hardly know where to start.

Technology - the EU countries wildly exceed the USSR in every sphere of technology apart from perhaps the development of hydrogen bombs and possibly some aircraft, although the latter is doubtful.

Immigration - people were always desperate to escape the Soviet system, especially people who lived in the satellite countries of the Warsaw Pact in E. Europe. You yourself admit that the big pressure on the EU is inward migration, not people desperate to leave. Perhaps you aren't able to tell the difference between leaving and coming in?

Neoliberalism - a global phenomenon. The EU is one of the few great powers in the world that attempts to challenge unbridled capitalist extremism in some areas, for example, monopolistic practises and labour exploitation. The specific thing you mention, asset stripping, appears to be a major motive of the people behind Brexit - it is what they plan for the UK on leaving.

More people miss the USSR - don't be so ridiculous. Only a handful of people even in Russia would want to return to it.

Technology- well of course they do now lol. But it has taken us far longer. The USSR turned a inpoverish backwater into a world class superpower in fifty years. The EU has seen no way near that level of change. The USSR has changed the world what the hell has the EU achieved that remotely compares ???

Immigration: life was often tough under the USSR don’t get me wrong. I would also agree that life was better under the liberal west. A few things though.

The era if the baby boomers was not real capitalism, it was a facade that was far closer to the soviet model (look at the tax rates of the US under Eisenhower (a republican!) they essentially took out a huge and unsustainable loan to bribe their people and keep them from revolting due to their fear and constant pressure of the USSR and after having been thrown into a deeply unpopular world war.

After the USSR fell the US showed capitalism in its true colours. Capitalism fundamentally cannot be reformed.

Some of the people fleeing the USSR like Ayn Rand and Irving Kristol, well good riddance is all I can say. Maybe one of the biggest failures of the ussr is not shooting these people. A lot of innocent people might have been spared.

Neoliberalism: ha ha ha! What is this half baked blairite drivel ? Did peter mandelson tell you this? The EU is and always has been (amongst other things) a capitalist racket. That is why the true left have consistently voted against it- including the current leader of the Labour Party- in addition to its undemocratic nature.

Sure Tories of all stripes are asset strippers and scum. They’ll do it anyway under the EU or out. So what? At least you can vote them out! Would the EU stop them from this? Of course not, they’ll even help facilitate them.

Tell me how are you going to nationalise key industries under EU law when it is forbidden? Are you going to join the Lib Dem’s and help Ed Davey reform capitalism? 😂😂😂
Reply 15
Original post by Andrew97
Does this mean we get to occupy Berlin and have satellite nations?

Only half of it...
Original post by Napp

You do see the irony in your statement right? Considering you're peddling a distorted vision of the EU as well.

No I don't see any irony, what is my distorted veiw you believe I hold and why is it distorted in your eyes?
I certainly hope so. Unfortunately things need to get a lot worse before they can get better which is usually the case with anything meaningful

What a ridiculous thing to say. Why wreck all that is good. It has taken us several hundred years to get to this point. Wrecking it in the hope of something better isn't going to happen in your time. Just look at Zimbabwe, Syria and now Venezuela. All once thriving societies now decimated. Is that what you want?
Clicked on this thread thinking you meant something different, that the EU will eventually evolve into a single large state like the USSR. (something which would be positively horrible)

But no, despite popular belief brexit will not lead to the dead rising and roaming the Earth. It's a bit of weird idea anyway considering how poor a lot of the USSR was.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 19
Scotland will leave the union and Northern Ireland will probably have a border poll to rejoin the Republic, undoubtedly leading to violence.

England and Wales will collapse into a deep recession. Leavers and remainers will blame each other. London and the South will be hit hard, but it will be nothing compared to the carnage in the North, the Midlands and Wales. Unemployment will sky rocket, the NHS and public services will basically collapse, violence, crime and homelessness will become an epidemic, living standards will fall dramatically, millions will become unemployed, thousands upon thousands will die unnecessarily.

Curfews will be put in place and the military will be placed on the streets. The Tory/Brexit Party coalition government will permanently prorogue parliament and indefinitely suspend elections as they are undemocratic. Undesireables, such as ethnic minorities, communists, homosexuals, remain voters and other degenerates will be designated as having views contrary to the "WILL OF THE PEOPLE" and placed into "protection camps" for their own safety, where they will be kept in cages. A thousand years of darkness will descend across the world.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending