The Student Room Group

Second degree finance architecture

Hi, I wonder if you could help me by clarifying this matter. I have read that Architecture is included in the exception subjects. So I have phoned SFE this afternoon. They said yes, I can get a loan but not for fees, just maintenance, and only for a full time course. I am confused as I keep reading in TSR that it is only for part time studies.
Could you confirm either way?
How about Interior Architecture and Design?
These are the courses I am interested in, both in Leeds Beckett:
1. BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design. UCAS code: W251 Institution code: L27
2. BA (Hons) Architecture. UCAS code: K100 Institution code: L27

Would it be too late for me to apply for finance if I were to enter uni through Clearing and start in September this year, 2019?
Many thanks.
Original post by Edirus1
Hi, I wonder if you could help me by clarifying this matter. I have read that Architecture is included in the exception subjects. So I have phoned SFE this afternoon. They said yes, I can get a loan but not for fees, just maintenance, and only for a full time course. I am confused as I keep reading in TSR that it is only for part time studies.
Could you confirm either way?
How about Interior Architecture and Design?
These are the courses I am interested in, both in Leeds Beckett:
1. BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design. UCAS code: W251 Institution code: L27
2. BA (Hons) Architecture. UCAS code: K100 Institution code: L27

Would it be too late for me to apply for finance if I were to enter uni through Clearing and start in September this year, 2019?
Many thanks.

Hello,

Architecture is classed as an exception course which means if you currently hold an equivalent level qualification you’re eligible to receive the Maintenance Loan and any supplementary grants if you’re studying full time. Do you already hold a degree?

Interior Architecture and Design will depend on the course content for it to be classed as a true architecture course. It would need to be accredited by RIBA. You’ll need to speak to the university if that’s the case.

You have up to 9 months after the start of the academic year (01/09/19) to apply to us for the funding. The easiest way is online - http://ow.ly/sh2830oBbfT

Warm Regards, Dean.
Reply 2
Hi Dean, many thanks for your answer.
I do already hold a BA degree.
The Interior Architecture and Design course is not accredited by RIBA, so it is not an exception course. That is sorted then.
About Architecture, being an exception course, you are assuring me that I would be eligible to receive MAINTENANCE loan if studying FULL TIME.
Please, forgive me for insisting, but I have seen in so many different websites, including TSR, that people have been adviced to study PART TIME to be eligible for the loan, that I would like your reassurance on this matter.
I beg to ask three more questions:
. After applying for a loan for maintenance for the full time course, if I get a negative answer, could I immediately ask for the part time course?
. Would it be possible to get a tuition fee loan?
. There is a 4 year course in Beckett Leeds that would get me a BA Architecture qualification (approved by RIBA), but this one includes a foundation year. It is called "Art, Architecture and Design with International Foundation Year | BA (Hons)". The foundation year prepares you for the three subjects and for the rest of the three years I would continue with my chosen subject, Architecture. Would you kindly be able to check if I would be eligible for a loan with this course?

Thank you again Dean, I greatly appreciate your help and patience.

Kindest Regards, Edi
Original post by Edirus1
Hi Dean, many thanks for your answer.
I do already hold a BA degree.
The Interior Architecture and Design course is not accredited by RIBA, so it is not an exception course. That is sorted then.
About Architecture, being an exception course, you are assuring me that I would be eligible to receive MAINTENANCE loan if studying FULL TIME.
Please, forgive me for insisting, but I have seen in so many different websites, including TSR, that people have been adviced to study PART TIME to be eligible for the loan, that I would like your reassurance on this matter.
I beg to ask three more questions:
. After applying for a loan for maintenance for the full time course, if I get a negative answer, could I immediately ask for the part time course?
. Would it be possible to get a tuition fee loan?
. There is a 4 year course in Beckett Leeds that would get me a BA Architecture qualification (approved by RIBA), but this one includes a foundation year. It is called "Art, Architecture and Design with International Foundation Year | BA (Hons)". The foundation year prepares you for the three subjects and for the rest of the three years I would continue with my chosen subject, Architecture. Would you kindly be able to check if I would be eligible for a loan with this course?

Thank you again Dean, I greatly appreciate your help and patience.

Kindest Regards, Edi

Hi there,

Can you please confirm what is the highest qualification that you hold? Have you had any Higher Education study previously? Do you reside in the UK?

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 4
Hi Nihad,
. Highest qualificaion BA English
. Residing in UK for the last 7 years
Regards,
Edi
Original post by SFE Nihad
Hi there,

Can you please confirm what is the highest qualification that you hold? Have you had any Higher Education study previously? Do you reside in the UK?

Regards,
Nihad
Hi,

Architecture is only an exception when studied full time. As you hold a degree currently we would be able to assess you for Maintenance Loan and applicable supplementary grants. We wouldn't be able to assess you for Tuition Fee Loan.

The course you have listed above for Leeds Beckett is not a RIBA course and therefore wouldn't count as an exception. You would only be entitled to DSA for this course if that was applicable to you.

Thanks, Tégan
Reply 6
Hi Tégan,
Thank you for your reply.
When you say "the course you have listed above for Leeds Beckett is not a RIBA course and therefore wouldn't count as an exception", do you mean Art, Architecture and Design with International Foundation Year | BA (Hons) course?. This course comprises a foundation year and then you jump to the first year of the BA (Hons) of the chosen subject, in my case Architecture. The final qualification would be BA (Hons) Architecture. Leeds Beckett offers only one BA (Hons) Architecture course and it is a RIBA course.
I assume it would be considered an exception course. Is that correct?
Regards,
Edi
Original post by SFE Tegan
Hi,

Architecture is only an exception when studied full time. As you hold a degree currently we would be able to assess you for Maintenance Loan and applicable supplementary grants. We wouldn't be able to assess you for Tuition Fee Loan.

The course you have listed above for Leeds Beckett is not a RIBA course and therefore wouldn't count as an exception. You would only be entitled to DSA for this course if that was applicable to you.

Thanks, Tégan
Hi Edi,

That's correct, we wouldn't be able to fund you for the Art, Architecture and Design with International Foundation Year, even if your plan is to change course after this.

If the Architecture course is full time and confirmed to be a RIBA course then this would be an exception and you could receive funding.

Thanks, Tégan
Original post by Edirus1
Hi Tégan,
Thank you for your reply.
When you say "the course you have listed above for Leeds Beckett is not a RIBA course and therefore wouldn't count as an exception", do you mean Art, Architecture and Design with International Foundation Year | BA (Hons) course?. This course comprises a foundation year and then you jump to the first year of the BA (Hons) of the chosen subject, in my case Architecture. The final qualification would be BA (Hons) Architecture. Leeds Beckett offers only one BA (Hons) Architecture course and it is a RIBA course.
I assume it would be considered an exception course. Is that correct?
Regards,
Edi
Reply 8
Hi Tégan,
Thank you for you prompt response!
This course would the same BA (Hons) Architecture, but with foundation, without changing courses, thus a RIBA course. Still not an exception course?
Thanks,
Edurne
Hi Edi,

That's correct, we wouldn't be able to fund you for the Art, Architecture and Design with International Foundation Year, even if your plan is to change course after this.

If the Architecture course is full time and confirmed to be a RIBA course then this would be an exception and you could receive funding.

Thanks, Tégan
Hi Edurne,

On our course database the Architecture course at Leeds Beckett is not confirmed to be a RIBA course. However, if your university confirms that it is and is able to clarify this to us we would be able to assess you for Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants.

The course database doesn't show an architecture degree which includes the foundation year. Please could you check this with them?

Thanks, Tégan
Original post by Edirus1
Hi Tégan,
Thank you for you prompt response!
This course would the same BA (Hons) Architecture, but with foundation, without changing courses, thus a RIBA course. Still not an exception course?
Thanks,
Edurne
Reply 10
Many thanks Tégan. I will certainly check that with the university, they are advertising it as a RIBA course.
Regards,
Edurne
Hi Edurne,

On our course database the Architecture course at Leeds Beckett is not confirmed to be a RIBA course. However, if your university confirms that it is and is able to clarify this to us we would be able to assess you for Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants.

The course database doesn't show an architecture degree which includes the foundation year. Please could you check this with them?

Thanks, Tégan
Hi Edume,

That would be great 😊.

Thanks, Angela.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending