The Student Room Group

Other drivers getting frustrated with me however I am sticking to the speed limit?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1338
The highway code states you should pull over if you're going significantly under the speed limit, this is aimed at vehicles like tractors. Even HGV's aren't expected to pull over doing 50 in a 60, let alone a car doing 30 in a 30.

Also, call it petty all you want but I'd rather scare someone now who's unnecessarily close to me to put them off in the future rather than have them run into me when I really need to brake in an emergency.

The advice is for dealing with tailgaters too, you're not legally required to but it is the best course of action.

What exactly is so hard about pulling over?
Reply 61
Original post by J0n3zviper
Passed my test last week and doing my best to stick to speed limits. I notice drivers cursing and driving up close because I am not going fast enough.. The thing is the road signs say 30pmph and I am doing 30.. So not sure what the problem is. There's a road I take to work which is a 30 and even has speed camera warnings (I believe they are mobile ones and I've yet to see any police activity in the area) people often do 50 on the road, one guy must have been hitting 80 at one point. Am I living in a dream world by obeying speed limits? I feel at danger by doing so! I don't want to lose my license.

For the sake of your own sanity and those stuck behind you, just forget about bloody speed cameras and drive at a sensible speed with your wits about you.
Reply 62
Original post by the beer
Because that is the considerate and right thing to do.

God damn absolutely. Thank god someone here gets it. The roads are a shared space, its up to all of us to be considerate with each other, regardless of whether or not their driving style is different from ours. Live and let live.
Reply 63
Original post by 1338
The highway code states you should pull over if you're going significantly under the speed limit, this is aimed at vehicles like tractors. Even HGV's aren't expected to pull over doing 50 in a 60, let alone a car doing 30 in a 30.

Also, call it petty all you want but I'd rather scare someone now who's unnecessarily close to me to put them off in the future rather than have them run into me when I really need to brake in an emergency.

The highway code doesn't specify vehicle type. If you're needlessly causing a queue to form behind you, then you could be found guilty of driving without due care and attention if you don't pull over and let them pass. This applies even if you're only going 1mph under the speed limit.

HOWEVER this is all irrelevant, because on the road, civility and good manners matter more than anything else. Don't pull over because the law obliges you to, pull over because you're not a ********.

Unless you are a ******** of course, in which case carry on.
Reply 64
The advice is for dealing with tailgaters too, you're not legally required to but it is the best course of action.

I don't understand why anyone would pull over when they're doing the speed limit. Plus without getting too much into the moral hazard you'd just be encouraging the tailgaters to bully others off the road in the future
Reply 65
Original post by desou
The highway code doesn't specify vehicle type. If you're needlessly causing a queue to form behind you, then you could be found guilty of driving without due care and attention if you don't pull over and let them pass. This applies even if you're only going 1mph under the speed limit.

HOWEVER this is all irrelevant, because on the road, civility and good manners matter more than anything else. Don't pull over because the law obliges you to, pull over because you're not a ********.

Unless you are a ******** of course, in which case carry on.

So you're telling me the police would pull you over for doing 29 in a 30 just because there's a queue behind?
Reply 66
Original post by 1338
I don't understand why anyone would pull over when they're doing the speed limit. Plus without getting too much into the moral hazard you'd just be encouraging the tailgaters to bully others off the road in the future

a) its the safe thing to do. Better let them pass then have them overtake on a blind bend and someone gets killed.

b) its the moral thing to do. You don't know why they're in a rush, maybe their child is bleeding to death in the back seat. Don't judge when you don't know.

TBH if you don't consider safety and consideration of others to be your two overwhelming obligations when behind the wheel, you shouldn't be driving.
Reply 67
Original post by 1338
So you're telling me the police would pull you over for doing 29 in a 30 just because there's a queue behind?

I've literally been in the car when this has happened.
Reply 68
Original post by desou
a) its the safe thing to do. Better let them pass then have them overtake on a blind bend and someone gets killed.

b) its the moral thing to do. You don't know why they're in a rush, maybe their child is bleeding to death in the back seat. Don't judge when you don't know.

TBH if you don't consider safety and consideration of others to be your two overwhelming obligations when behind the wheel, you shouldn't be driving.

I'm not forcing anyone to overtake me on a blind bend...

I also think it's safe to say during day to day driving that there most likely isn't a kid bleeding to death in the back seat, and if there was they'd probably be beeping rather than just tailgating me...
Original post by desou
I've literally been in the car when this has happened.

Oh how convenient. Can I just ask how you know that's why they pulled them over? (if you did happen to see someone pulled over)
Reply 69
Original post by 1338

I also think it's safe to say during day to day driving that there most likely isn't a kid bleeding to death in the back seat, and if there was they'd probably be beeping rather than just tailgating me...

Oh how convenient. Can I just ask how you know that's why they pulled them over? (if you did happen to see someone pulled over)

No, my mate (who was a terrible driver) was pulled over for doing 35 in a 40 whilst I was a passenger. I think the copper had been stuck behind us for about 2 miles and eventually got fed up.

He sarcastically asked "having engine problems are we sir?"

He didn't give him a ticket, just told him that if he wanted to admire the scenery in future, he should pull over to do so.
Original post by 1338

Are you one of those people that never leave the middle lane on a motorway?
Reply 71
Original post by desou
No, my mate (who was a terrible driver) was pulled over for doing 35 in a 40 whilst I was a passenger. I think the copper had been stuck behind us for about 2 miles and eventually got fed up.

He sarcastically asked "having engine problems are we sir?"

He didn't give him a ticket, just told him that if he wanted to admire the scenery in future, he should pull over to do so.

Fair enough if you say so, sounds a bit odd though, I learned to drive off an ex-traffic cop and couldn't imagine him doing that over a measly 5mph

No I am not
Reply 72
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Yeah, but they could easily make the reading spot on accurate with new fully pumped tyres. But they don't.

And no manufacturer is going to admit to such a cheap marketing trick, are they? Not when alomost everyone else is at it too.

As the tyres wear down, the inaccuracy also comes about. Can't fix that without putting brand new tyres on.
Reply 73
Original post by OddOnes
You're awfully hostile just for being called out.

Those people are speeding. They should slow down to the correct speed. Now on a duel carriageway, yes you need to drive fast to be safe. On a 30 mile an hour road through a town with a lot of bends? No, keep it slow or you risk causing an accident like the speeders.

Double standards much?

The area is irrelevant when you're doing the same percentage increase...
Reply 74
Original post by shnac99
i’m driving safe then I can go whatever speed I feel most comfortable and if that happens to be 25 in a 30 zone then so be it.

That's not safe, and you would fail a driving test for not making due progress.

If the conditions permit, you should be treating the limit as a target. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand traffic flow.
Reply 75

Middle lane hoggers 😤😤😤

What might make it hard, and contradict your grossly optimistic idea that it is always possible, would be if you were on a stretch of single carriageway with a double white line.

Personally, I would never pull over for a tailgater. They are universally idiots, and letting them get away with bullying would not sit well with me. I would rather have them behind me than doing unpredictable things ahead of me. If they continued to tailgate I would slow down.

If I were driving relatively slowly I certainly would pull over for a sensible, non-tailgating, person following me who clearly wanted to overtake and needed help to do so.
the speed limit is a limit not a target! ignore everyone else if your Speedo says 30 you are in the right and everyone else will have to get over it. everyone in too much of a hurry and that causes accidents.
Original post by mrbean522
Other people are in the wrong for driving over the speed limit.

The best advice is to aim to drive at around the limit under normal conditions but to remember that if your speedo is indicating 30 mph then you are probably only doing 27 mph. Find out, using GPS, how much your speedo over-reads at the speed limits (20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70mph) and drive accordingly.

If you are on the open road and want a relaxed, slow, drive (say 50mph on a 60mph road) then feel free to do so but be aware of other road users.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
They are universally idiots, and letting them get away with bullying would not sit well with me.

Get a rear facing dash cam and send footage off to the police then.

Quick Reply

Latest