The Student Room Group

My older brother doesn't act like one?

My older brother doesn't act like one, for some reason he doesn't like me and dont know why. He always flight with me over little things. I can never hold a conversation with him. If I joke with him he just gets angry but when someone else says the same joke he's fine with it. I know his childhood was different to my. E.g my mom would never buy him new clothes she would just fix it. Now if I need new clothes I just go ahead and buy it. Do he think am spoilt or I have had everything that he didn't have when he was young. Btw there is 10 years age gap. When it comes to other family members who are the same age as me he acts like more a brother to them and not me e.g he went on a trip and he had 1 space left and I said I wanted to come but he said there was no space later I've found out he chosen my cousin who is the same age as me but the funny thing is they did have space but he answer was " leave him hes not going to be awake let's just go".
I’m sad to hear that. I can’t relate so I can’t really comment but I will anyway you could be right he may be jealous or envious of the treatment you get and instead of outright saying it chooses to act the way he does but another possibility is that you are full siblings so therefore doesn’t consider to full family which could have exaggerated the feels I’ve previously mentioned

How to solve this:
Talk. Just talk with your family explaining it have a honest and mature conversation with mum,dad and your brother to raise their awareness too

I hope I helped x
Original post by Tecboy234
My older brother doesn't act like one, for some reason he doesn't like me and dont know why. He always flight with me over little things. I can never hold a conversation with him. If I joke with him he just gets angry but when someone else says the same joke he's fine with it. I know his childhood was different to my. E.g my mom would never buy him new clothes she would just fix it. Now if I need new clothes I just go ahead and buy it. Do he think am spoilt or I have had everything that he didn't have when he was young. Btw there is 10 years age gap. When it comes to other family members who are the same age as me he acts like more a brother to them and not me e.g he went on a trip and he had 1 space left and I said I wanted to come but he said there was no space later I've found out he chosen my cousin who is the same age as me but the funny thing is they did have space but he answer was " leave him hes not going to be awake let's just go".
Original post by Tecboy234

My brother is similar, although our age gap is much smaller, only 15 months. I rarely talk to him even though we live in the same house, simply because anything I do say he will find a way to moan about something even if it is totally unrelated to the conversation. For example, when I came home from uni for the summer the first thing he said was "why have you not done the hoovering yet", and I had literally just stepped into the door.

My mum thinks it is because when they brought me home from the hospital after I was born, he asked when I was going to go back to the hospital. Obviously I never did go back, so she thinks he resents me because of that.

I just deal with it by not responding to his petty comments and only engaging with him when I really have to. I can see us being totally estranged in the future because of how he has treated me all my life.
Reply 3
Original post by DrawTheLine
My brother is similar, although our age gap is much smaller, only 15 months. I rarely talk to him even though we live in the same house, simply because anything I do say he will find a way to moan about something even if it is totally unrelated to the conversation. For example, when I came home from uni for the summer the first thing he said was "why have you not done the hoovering yet", and I had literally just stepped into the door.

My mum thinks it is because when they brought me home from the hospital after I was born, he asked when I was going to go back to the hospital. Obviously I never did go back, so she thinks he resents me because of that.

I just deal with it by not responding to his petty comments and only engaging with him when I really have to. I can see us being totally estranged in the future because of how he has treated me all my life.

That's how I feel we work in a family business and he just put all the work on so he can chill and one day I told him off he said " when I was young I did this etc..." Just an excuse so he can chill and I have to just Bite my tongue and get on with the work
Reply 4
I tired in the past to find out why he hates me so much and honestly he answer was I got a sliver spoon up my a***. When he was younger my mum and dad would always fix he clothes wouldn't by him things.
When I was younger I always asked for stuff and they by it but after the age of 10 I helped my mum and dad at lot at the family business then I get the things I wanted. He never used to do that at that age. So I think hes a bit Jealous of me in that Regard.
Original post by I’m a nobody
I’m sad to hear that. I can’t relate so I can’t really comment but I will anyway you could be right he may be jealous or envious of the treatment you get and instead of outright saying it chooses to act the way he does but another possibility is that you are full siblings so therefore doesn’t consider to full family which could have exaggerated the feels I’ve previously mentioned

How to solve this:
Talk. Just talk with your family explaining it have a honest and mature conversation with mum,dad and your brother to raise their awareness too

I hope I helped x
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by DrawTheLine

I feel the same away in the future I have other siblings and am okay with them. I guess that's just life
Pretty much same for me. He has a problem with everything I do. We are never on the same page. We live in the same house (I am thankfully going away for uni soon and I’m really glad to get away from him) and it’s a nightmare.

Earlier I use to feel bad about it and wanted to mend things but when i saw he was making no effort and just shooting me down more, I decided to ignore him and I am happier.

Honestly, his stupidity annoys me as well.

I am just glad that I am not the only one and other full siblings can be *******s too.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Pretty much same for me. He has a problem with everything I do. We are never on the same page. We live in the same house (I am thankfully going away for uni soon and I’m really glad to get away from him) and it’s a nightmare.

Earlier I use to feel bad about it and wanted to mend things but when i saw he was making no effort and just shooting me down more, I decided to ignore him and I am happier.

Honestly, his stupidity annoys me as well.

I am just glad that I am not the only one and other full siblings can be *******s too.

I've just learnt to deal with it.
Tell your parents and shame him to other fam and friends and make your own family and friends
Original post by Little Popcorns
Tell your parents and shame him to other fam and friends and make your own family and friends

Wow, savage 😂

I like :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending