The Student Room Group

Right or Wrong doesn't really exist.

We're simply the same as for dogs or cats, just more intelligent, dogs and cats have emotions, they know what feels good and what doesn't, they protect things, have some sort of moral compass you could say.

Yet in the larger scale of things, there is nothing really wrong with sawing someone's head off in the middle of the street, ultimately there is no wrong in that, there are the emotions people may feel, irrelevant in the larger scale, there is the life you have deprived, also irrelevant, we're just superior species to all the rest, there's legal and illegal to keep a society functioning, as well as religion to some extent.

But overall I think although you might feel wronged by something or someone, that's just an emotion, a natural biological response to stimuli, negative in this case, in the larger scale there is nothing wrong with punching someone walking down the street, emotions do not mean right or wrong.

Scroll to see replies

wow that was deep.
Original post by TheNamesBond.
We're simply the same as for dogs or cats, just more intelligent, dogs and cats have emotions, they know what feels good and what doesn't, they protect things, have some sort of moral compass you could say.

Yet in the larger scale of things, there is nothing really wrong with sawing someone's head off in the middle of the street, ultimately there is no wrong in that, there are the emotions people may feel, irrelevant in the larger scale, there is the life you have deprived, also irrelevant, we're just superior species to all the rest, there's legal and illegal to keep a society functioning, as well as religion to some extent.

But overall I think although you might feel wronged by something or someone, that's just an emotion, a natural biological response to stimuli, negative in this case, in the larger scale there is nothing wrong with punching someone walking down the street, emotions do not mean right or wrong.

All animals have emotions- not just dogs and cats.

Society is hypocritical when it comes to morality. For example they say its wrong and evil to kill and eat cats and dogs but it's ok to enslave, kill and eat billions of pigs, cows, chicken, sheep etc. It is based on nothing but human emotion 'I have an emotion attachement to dogs and cats therefore anyone that causes harm to it them is evil. However I have no emotions attachment to pigs and I love the taste of bacon therefore it's ok to cause harm to billions of them to suit my taste buds'. I despise people like this.
Ah u do admit that right or wrong exists for a functional society to exist! A bit antithetical with the title
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
I await all the religious to come in with 'muh objectivity'
Original post by lyer_in_hellfyre
Ah u do admit that right or wrong exists for a functional society to exist! A bit antithetical with the title

I never said that, read my OP again.
Ok. Me nah care
It's not just religious people 😂😂

Spoiler

Original post by gjd800
Original post by gjd800

not me

'Right or wrong' is an abstract societal/cultural/philosophical concept. Of course it doesn't 'exist' in a physical sense but what relevance does this have to anything?

I never said that, read my OP again.

well?
Reply 11
----> That's right.

2 + 2 = 5. That's wrong.

QED
Right or wrong does not exist?
Yet there is right or wrong in terms of what is legal or illegal. :confused:
If only there were philosophers who dealt with these issues in detail, and were properly trained thinkers, and made informed points.
Reply 14
So Hitler wasn't right or wrong to do what he did, gotcha.

Spoiler

I hope I have a higher moral compass than just a cat or a dog.

Yes, I can go and saw someone's head off in the street, but would check myself before I do. Because I know I would be prosecuted by the law, and civilisation, plus other people would condemn me. Furthermore, my religion and all the books I have read would influence me not to.

But it is more than just social conditioning that would stop me. In general I love people, and the thought of my causing such suffering and pain to another human being would be abhorrent to me. I would not even wish this fate on people who have treated me badly (and there are several such people).

Living in a world where there is no right and wrong would be my idea of absolute hell. The real problem is when you are living with someone who is actually like this, and doesn't know right from wrong. Then, watch out. However, thankfully most people are not like this.

Sawing off someone's head is exactly wrong, because it breaks the silent deal that allows to live and develop. You don't steal my stuff, so I don't steal yours, then we don't have to waste time on protecting it. I'm not going to kill you, so you're not going to kill me, therefore we don't have to waste time for fighting. Instead we can cooperate to prevent unwanted things to happen to us
People wish to achieve certain goals, morals are a tool that makes these goals much more achievable.

Already the Greeks understood that, that's why they generally believed that evil=stupidity.
Cheating on a exam is wrong
Have you ever been caught cheating
Sure!🙄

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending