The Student Room Group

Can I have two driving instructors at the same time?

Hello everyone.
My question is: can I learn to drive from two different driving instructors at the same time?
One of them only available at the weekends so I would take lessons with the other instructor during weekdays.
I know some people say it would confuse me ,but i would like to know if it's possible or not?
I want to let them know about it too.
Thanks very much :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Yano, I've wondered this too.
Why not just book twice/week? That's what I ended up doing tbh
In the initial stages it'll be best to have one instructor, each instructor has their preferred teaching methods and being taught the basics by two different people might get confusing. If you've got the basics down though then go for it.
You can give it a go, but like with any other teacher it helps that an instructor knows what stage you're at and what you have/haven't covered yet. They might also have different ways of teaching and end up disagreeing with one another!

I would suggest having lessons with one of them for a few weeks, then start driving in your own time with a family member or friend to get some practise in. As they won't be teaching you, you'll still gain experience and learn pretty fast but the instructor will be able to keep up better. I did this driving with my Dad and it worked pretty well for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies. For me to drive with my family members or friends is not an option. We tried with few people and i can't drive their car as a learner.
I will try with 2 instructors and I will see how it goes. :smile:
Original post by Littleagnes
Thanks for the replies. For me to drive with my family members or friends is not an option. We tried with few people and i can't drive their car as a learner.
I will try with 2 instructors and I will see how it goes. :smile:

Why not just pay the same instructor for more lessons?
Not the best idea really. They have different styles and it will get confusing for all three of you. And they may not be willing to carry on when they find out.
Book 2 a week with one instructor. Or if you can afford it book an intensive course and drive every day for a couple of weeks then one a week is enough.
Most professionals don't like to be "doubled up"
It's a conflict of interest
Reply 8
Original post by The_Internet
Why not just pay the same instructor for more lessons?

I can't because he is busy.
Sure you can, obviously it's not an ideal situation but there's no reason you can't have two. In any case, learning with a family member and an instructor is practically the same as having two instructors so why not?
i would only have two instructors if you are at a good standard and you are used to changing cars. you will pick up tips and different teaching methods, it may work - no harm in trying, plus if you like one more than the other you can choose which to continue with
No harm in trying, but I am sure their teaching methods will be different, which could be quite confusing.
Let us know how it goes though!
Hi did you end up going with two different instructors if you did how did it go ?!
Original post by Shoniqua moniqa
Hi did you end up going with two different instructors if you did how did it go ?!

I had extra lessons with a different instructor and it helped me A LOT.
Did you let your original instructor know about this and did it not confuse you have two different instructors ? Sorry for the annoying questions
Original post by Bubblylibra
I had extra lessons with a different instructor and it helped me A LOT.
Did you let your original instructor know about this and did it not confuse you have two different instructors ? Sorry for the annoying questions

I didn’t tell him just because at that time I already failed 3 times... so I decided to get extra lessons in a completely new area with a different instructor to get second opinion - I really wanted to check if I’m a terrible driver because something wasn’t clicking. Turned out I can drive perfectly fine, however within 5 minutes it also turned out I’m exciting roundabouts (last exit with more than one lane) wrong - everything else was fine. I was taught wrong by my original instructor but got the hang of roundabouts with my new instructor by the end of first lesson and never made a mistake again! I was so disappointed. I saw a huge difference between my instructors and wished I had my second instructor in the first place! I only had a few hours with my second instructor, but what I can tell you is that my original instructor asked me “did you have extra practise?” :smile: And no, it didn’t confuse me at all, but then I already drove for over 30 hours.

Is there a specific reason why you want two driving instructors?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Bubblylibra
I didn’t tell him just because at that time I already failed 3 times... so I decided to get extra lessons in a completely new area with a different instructor to get second opinion - I really wanted to check if I’m a terrible driver because something wasn’t clicking. Turned out I can drive perfectly fine, however within 5 minutes it also turned out I’m exciting roundabouts (last exit with more than one lane) wrong - everything else was fine. I was taught wrong by my original instructor but got the hang of roundabouts with my new instructor by the end of first lesson and never made a mistake again! I was so disappointed. I saw a huge difference between my instructors and wished I had my second instructor in the first place! I only had a few hours with my second instructor, but what I can tell you is that my original instructor asked me “did you have extra practise?” :smile: And no, it didn’t confuse me at all, but then I already drove for over 30 hours.

Is there a specific reason why you want two driving instructors?

Hey that’s for this and sorry for the late reply I’m with my 3rd instructor now and even though I know a couple of people who have passed with him, I just don’t feel comfortable with him tbh so far his driving style is just very chill he hasn’t shown me any manoeuvres or anything so right now I’m just driving on the test route which is good but I just want to pass ASAP I know you have to be patient with these things but it’s been a year since I’ve been learning and it seems to me everyone I know is passing so fast burn hefe I am still learning and still not knowing how to parallel park. I guess it’s partially my fault as I’ve changed my instructors a few times but there were reasons for each one of them. I really just want to pass quickly so thought if I have two instructors this would help quicken the process as I can’t really drive with any family memebers and so far am only getting 2 hours a week on the same day which isn’t enough as it’s such a big gap until the next lesson which I feel like makes me forget at the first half out of the lesson then I start picking it up again but I feel like I’m getting nowhere.

If I were to have two instructors I feel like it would quicken my chance of passing if not I would Atleast get more practice in and not feel like I’m
Starting over At the beginning of each lesson. I have asked my instructor if I could split the lessons into 1 hour twice a week but he said no to do so that’s why considering getting a second instructor but the people I have asked went no don’t do that it will confuse you blah blah and we’re against the idea ! So I’m just confused. I feel like I’ve been learning for so long and am getting no where it makes me feel like I’m wasting money.

Learning manual btw if it matters ?

Sorry for my rant answer.
Yes, it is possible.

If you are only starting out then I suggest you stick to one instructor for now so you understand the basics then maybe after 5-6 sessions get another instructor. As each instructor has their own was of teaching, and trust me you will get confused.

I don't know how long your lessons are, so maybe make them 2 hours on the weekend? That way you won't have to get another instructor.
I currently do hours on the same day, I have asked for these to be split into 1 hour lessons twice a week (eg- 1 hour Monday and 1 hour friday) but he said no to this

Currently I am doing 2 hours and then a gap until the next lesson (2 hours on Monday then no driving until the following Wednesday) - stuff like this which isnt making it any easier for me. I’m forgetful and need repetition in my life to get a hang of things if I’m having such a big gap in between it’s harder for me to learn and will just be wasting time. So I’m not Sure if I should just get a new instructor overall who can do two lessons a week or just get a second instructor without telling the one I have now.

And by basics what do you mean - I’m familiar with steering, biting point, mirror check, gears, round abojts etc the only thing I haven’t done properly is parking

Original post by kurro
Yes, it is possible.

If you are only starting out then I suggest you stick to one instructor for now so you understand the basics then maybe after 5-6 sessions get another instructor. As each instructor has their own was of teaching, and trust me you will get confused.

I don't know how long your lessons are, so maybe make them 2 hours on the weekend? That way you won't have to get another instructor.

i just don’t want to be wasting my money but then I have only had 4 lessons with this instructor (8 hours) I feel like I should be more comfortable and more up to speed with the lesssons but I just feel set back every lesson as if I was just about to drive for the first time.

And no I can’t take any extra lessons with family memebers during the week I wish I could get extra practice in but I can’t unless this instructor lets me or I get another one.
If it's just parking you have left then getting second instructor wouldn't be a problem as the reference points for parking are the same.

So do you mean you do 4 hours in total each week? Or 2 hours a week?
If you do get another instructor and if their schedule is more open, maybe you could change instructors over all.
(I did 1 hour a week.)

I currently do hours on the same day, I have asked for these to be split into 1 hour lessons twice a week (eg- 1 hour Monday and 1 hour friday) but he said no to this

Currently I am doing 2 hours and then a gap until the next lesson (2 hours on Monday then no driving until the following Wednesday) - stuff like this which isnt making it any easier for me. I’m forgetful and need repetition in my life to get a hang of things if I’m having such a big gap in between it’s harder for me to learn and will just be wasting time. So I’m not Sure if I should just get a new instructor overall who can do two lessons a week or just get a second instructor without telling the one I have now.

And by basics what do you mean - I’m familiar with steering, biting point, mirror check, gears, round abojts etc the only thing I haven’t done properly is parking