The Student Room Group

Student Finance problems

Hi all,
My application for student finance has been approved but I am not eligible for the tuition fee loan and I have to get funding myself. I am just wondering if there is any support to help with the tuition fee loan please. As I could get student finance in 2020/2021.
Original post by Lion1996
Hi all,
My application for student finance has been approved but I am not eligible for the tuition fee loan and I have to get funding myself. I am just wondering if there is any support to help with the tuition fee loan please. As I could get student finance in 2020/2021.

Usually you would only be refused a tuition fee loan due to previous study. Is this the case for you?

You're going to have to speak to your university. Their hardship funds and any repayment plans or fee waivers that they can offer are likely to be the most substantial support available. Otherwise you might be able to get grants from charities.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Usually you would only be refused a tuition fee loan due to previous study. Is this the case for you?

You're going to have to speak to your university. Their hardship funds and any repayment plans or fee waivers that they can offer are likely to be the most substantial support available. Otherwise you might be able to get grants from charities.

Hi yes that is correct, as I was repeating my foundation year due to not getting any support from my previous year as I had my support came in late.
Hi yes that is correct, as I was repeating my foundation year due to not getting any support from my previous year as I had my support came in late.

Hi,

Were there extenuating circumstances which meant you had to repeat the year such as medical reasons or personal circumstances? Did receiving your funding late affect your ability to study?

Thanks, Tégan
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Tegan
Hi,

Were there extenuating circumstances which meant you had to repeat the year such as medical reasons or personal circumstances? Did receiving your funding late affect your ability to study?

Thanks, Tégan

Hi,

yes it did affect my ability to study I had my study need assessment for DSA just before when I finished University. As I received my support back in June 2017 which was late. That is the reason why I could not complete my studies as I was not getting any support or extra time in my exams. This academic year I did get the support I needed and I passed my foundation year and progressing to my first year. Could the non eligible for finance happen if there is a course change.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi,

Have you changed course? Please can you confirm which years of the course you studied in which academic years?

Do you have evidence which would confirm that you had to leave your course or repeat the study due to these circumstances?

Thanks, Tégan
Hi,

yes it did affect my ability to study I had my study need assessment for DSA just before when I finished University. As I received my support back in June 2017 which was late. That is the reason why I could not complete my studies as I was not getting any support or extra time in my exams. This academic year I did get the support I needed and I passed my foundation year and progressing to my first year. Could the non eligible for finance happen if there is a course change.
Reply 6
Hi,

I have changed course as the registry department at my university changed my course. I studied Foundation Automotive engineering but changed to Foundation mechanical engineering. Academic year 2018/2019. I did not leave my course I have completed my foundation year on repeating modulus that I have failed. I did have a letter from registry to say I have to repeat my foundation year course due to attendance. I got evidence for my assessment and my study needs assessment report they did my assessment really late it before I broke up for Christmas holidays. I was told I had 5 years of finance - 2 years which gives me 3 years of funding.
Hi,

Have you changed course? Please can you confirm which years of the course you studied in which academic years?

Do you have evidence which would confirm that you had to leave your course or repeat the study due to these circumstances?

Thanks, Tégan
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi,

Your funding is dependent upon the length of your course.

So, did you study the Foundation Year in the 17/18 academic year and then repeated this in 18/19?

Thanks, Tégan
Hi,

I have changed course as the registry department at my university changed my course. I studied Foundation Automotive engineering but changed to Foundation mechanical engineering. Academic year 2018/2019. I did not leave my course I have completed my foundation year on repeating modulus that I have failed. I did have a letter from registry to say I have to repeat my foundation year course due to attendance. I got evidence for my assessment and my study needs assessment report they did my assessment really late it before I broke up for Christmas holidays. I was told I had 5 years of finance - 2 years which gives me 3 years of funding.
Reply 8
Yes that is correct. it is a 4 years course including foundation year.
Hi,

Your funding is dependent upon the length of your course.

So, did you study the Foundation Year in the 17/18 academic year and then repeated this in 18/19?

Thanks, Tégan
Hi,

We would recommend that you contact us via social media so we can take a look into your previous study on your account and be able to advise you further.

Thanks, Angela.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending