The Student Room Group

Cats are selfish

Scroll to see replies

I dunno... My cat is always bringing me unrequited gifts of mice.
I've got a cat, and he's very affectionate. He's 'selfish' in that he won't hesitate to let you know if he wants something like food, but when his needs are met, he's a very sociable little beast. And very cute.

I'm typing this one-handed because he's presently curled up on my lap, fast asleep, with his head buried in my hand and both paws wrapped around my left arm.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 22
wow
if a cat shows you no affection, a) that's just their personality, you can still do other things with them. b) you haven't worked for it, c) you're the problem - why would a cat want to show affection to somebody that clearly isn't worth their affection?
A cat would eat you if you died. A dog would guard your body with it's life.

Dogs>Cats in almost every regard.
Original post by hallamstudents
I believe cats are selfish creatures who show no affection and think they’re better than their owners. They creep up on you on the sofa, get too close to your face and scratch everything in sight.

Agree/Disagree?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: loooool why does this sound so funny to me??
You may be right, but still nothing beats when the cat gets too close to your face and starts nuzzling you and simultaneously purring nonstop. When it does it to you while asleep, however, the "OMG SO CUTEEEE" reaction is no longer valid. I know how this feels:biggrin:

They're still my favourites though, even if they sometimes can be indeed ungrateful:lol:
Cats are boring. I much prefer dogs.
To be honest, I think cats are selfish. That doesn't mean they can't be loveable and affectionate, as those things aren't exclusive.

My cat comes to cuddle me, purrs at me, greets me when I come in through the front door.. but it's always on her terms, when she wants. She doesn't come when called unless she wants, sometimes she won't even twitch if I call her.

Dogs on the other hand are trained from day 1 to be loyal, and there is a definite different. You do not truly "own" a cat in the same way, as they are their own creatures, but that's not to say that they're not still great pets, and you can definitely get affection from them!
I believe cats are selfish creatures who show no affection and think they’re better than their owners. They creep up on you on the sofa, get too close to your face and scratch everything in sight.

Agree/Disagree?

Cats are selfish, yes, but they're also very affectionate. They think they're better than us because they are!

Whenever I was unwell, one of my cats would spend the entire day curled up in bed next to me. She only got up to eat or use the litter box, and then she was straight back next to me. She did this for around 3 days straight. Slept at the bottom of my bed at night (which says a lot because I'm a very active sleeper, they never slept on my bed because of this!), curled up to me during the day. My other cat couldn't care less that I was unwell!

However, that other cat demanded affection and lap time if you were sat on the sofa. She would come up to you purring her little heart out and forcing herself onto your lap and into your arms for cuddles. She would meow if you stopped fussing over her. She loved when you groomed her with the brush. In fact, if she was sleeping upstairs and you scraped the brush across a cushion, she would come thundering down the stairs and jump into your lap to be groomed.

Cats are interesting creatures. If they like you, then they will be affectionate and loving when they want to be. If they don't like you, then they won't go near you and will hiss at you. That's why people say they hate cats some of the time, because the cats haven't liked them. It isn't the cat's problem - it's the human's problem!

It can also depend greatly on how the cat was treated when they were a kitten. If they were loved from day one, shown what cuddles were and played with lovingly, then they're more likely to grow up to be human-loving cats. If they suffered abuse or weren't given cuddles then they're less likely to be comfortable with showing you affection.

Sorry as you can tell I love cats!
I think the only difference between cats and dogs is that dogs get enjoyment just from human attention, but cats do not (at least not generally to the same degree). So I wouldn't say that cats are any more self-interested or selfish than dogs, they have simply not evolved to gain as much enjoyment from the attention of people. I love both cats and dogs but I admire cats for how they are independent and are responsible for themselves.
I'm not a fan of cats. I find them sly and unnerving. Dogs are much much nicer.
Reply 31
Every evening when I'm on the sofa my cat comes into the room, meows, jumps up onto the sofa and lies down on me, purring

that's affection matey

until he gets excited, then he's dangerous
No love for ecology, always killing wildlife :angry::angry::angry:
did a dog write this?
Reply 34
yeah if they weren't cute they wouldn't be able to get away with all the sh it that they do

Agree/Disagree?

Well that’s a quick and easy way to get an angry mob at your front door...
Dogs have an owner... cats have a home. They can be just as affectionate.
Is this the first publication of the Sheffield Hallam Veterinary School?
Too cute though
Yes, animals are selfish. Next?

Quick Reply

Latest