The Student Room Group

Will my uni appeal be successful

Hi, recently I was in an abusive relationship, which went on for 10 months. I could hardly leave the house for fear of people seeing my bruises. I was very depressed because of this so my uni attendance slipped, and so regrettably did my marks. I failed my second year of uni and am appealing to be able to resit the year as I am no longer in that relationship and am hoping to get my life back on track. My question is, do you think my appeal will be successful? I don't really have any evidence of this as I was very embarrassed to share what was happening with any body, it even took me a while to come to terms with it myself.. Thank you for your time.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Nicole2344
Hi, recently I was in an abusive relationship, which went on for 10 months. I could hardly leave the house for fear of people seeing my bruises. I was very depressed because of this so my uni attendance slipped, and so regrettably did my marks. I failed my second year of uni and am appealing to be able to resit the year as I am no longer in that relationship and am hoping to get my life back on track. My question is, do you think my appeal will be successful? I don't really have any evidence of this as I was very embarrassed to share what was happening with any body, it even took me a while to come to terms with it myself.. Thank you for your time.

If you dont have any evidence then unlikely.
How do they know you were even in a relationship?
What was your attendance and marks in year 1 like? Did they both show a drastic decline? Did you stop going to tutorials?

Advice
Did you take any photos, see your GP, tutor or social worker, tell anyone such as the police?
Nobody has the right to hit you. You can never let yourself get into such a relationship again. Violence is not normal or acceptable behaviour. It is the behaviour of a bully, coward and insecure loser.

At least go and see your GP, some sort of counsellor and maybe victim support. Do it asap so you can submit any letter with your appeal.
Maybe they can attest to the fact you have the symptoms of someone who has been abused although they cant verify anything because you have little proof. They wont want to say no, but you need to give them something.

It is possible to put something together if you work quickly and dont hide. They need some sort of evidence or opinion that comes from professionals and reliable third parties.

If your grades were good and your appeal fails, then I suggest you transfer course and try to enter year 2 at a different uni.
If you failed significant modules then resits will be capped and that can wreck your degree, so a transfer into year 2 elsewhere would salvage it.
https://www.refuge.org.uk/

Victim support
https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/help-and-support/get-help

Your uni should have their own nightline and student manned counselling service.

The Mix. 0808 808 4994. Sunday to Friday from 2pm to 11pm. webchat Sunday to Friday from 2pm to 11pm, and Saturday from 8pm to 11pm.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you very much for your reply. I have spoke to my doctors and got an appointment with them in a few weeks, however I have already sent my appeal form in. I spoke to someone in student services and they said it was 50/50 wether I'll get to resit the year. My attendance was good during first year, and my marks weren't so bad either... I deleted all pictures of us when we broke up, like I'm sure most people do when relationships end. I had no idea I would need proof of the relationship after. It's all such a mess
Original post by 999tigger
If you dont have any evidence then unlikely.
How do they know you were even in a relationship?
What was your attendance and marks in year 1 like? Did they both show a drastic decline? Did you stop going to tutorials?

Did you take any photos, see your GP, tutor or social worker, tell anyone such as the police?
Nobody has the right to hit you. You can never let yourself get into such a relationship again. Violence is not normal acceptable behaviour.

At least go and see your GP, some sort of counsellor and maybe victim support. Do it asap so you can submit any letter with your appeal.
Maybe they can attest to the fact you have the symptoms of someone who has been abused although they cant verify anything because you have little proof. They wont want to say no, but you need to give them something.

If your grades were good and your appeal fails, then I suggest you transfer course and try to enter year 2 at a different uni.
If you failed significant modules then resits will be capped and that can wreck your degree, so a transfer into year 2 elsewhere would salvage it.
https://www.refuge.org.uk/

Victim support
https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/help-and-support/get-help

Your uni should have their own nightline and student manned counselling service.

The Mix. 0808 808 4994. Sunday to Friday from 2pm to 11pm. webchat Sunday to Friday from 2pm to 11pm, and Saturday from 8pm to 11pm.
Reply 3
I just don't want this bad relationship to ruin my life
Thank you very much for your reply. I have spoke to my doctors and got an appointment with them in a few weeks, however I have already sent my appeal form in. I spoke to someone in student services and they said it was 50/50 wether I'll get to resit the year. My attendance was good during first year, and my marks weren't so bad either... I deleted all pictures of us when we broke up, like I'm sure most people do when relationships end. I had no idea I would need proof of the relationship after. It's all such a mess

You need to speak to the appeal people and explain although you have submitted it you are still waiting to see if you can provide some medical evidence, so could they suspend hearing it until 3 weeks by which time you will have seen your GP.
Now is not the time to be shy and you need to be speaking to independent professionals about what happened plus getting them to say what they think although no one can corroborate your story because it is all after the event.

I would be cautious of this person in student services. I would rate your chances as much lower because you have no evidence that these events happened and appeal boards want evidence. I would say its more an answer of they dont know. Their assumption will be no evidence of something that happened over a year is insufficient for them to make a decision in your favour.

The pictures I was talking about concerned of all the beatings and bruisings you claim to have happened. Its not uncommon for people to take images of these.

1. Time is of the essence and you need the support of third parties. The officer at uni who deals with female issues , rape, assault and aggression. Every uni has them. Also the mental health/ counselling team.

2. Talk to appeals and get the appeal suspended till you have time to submit whatever evidence you have from third parties, although what they can say is limited.

3. If it doesnt work just leave. Start contacting clearing now and look for alternative courses. That is 100% in your power to do and gives you a fresh start. You can be doing that now.

Notwithstanding your experience, you need to give more urgency about the things I have suggested.
If I were in the situation I would be sceptical about the appeal working out because of the lack of evidence and be preparing for 3.
If you want the appeal to have more chance then you need to get that independent evidence.
Reply 5
You need to speak to the appeal people and explain although you have submitted it you are still waiting to see if you can provide some medical evidence, so could they suspend hearing it until 3 weeks by which time you will have seen your GP.
Now is not the time to be shy and you need to be speaking to independent professionals about what happened plus getting them to say what they think although no one can corroborate your story because it is all after the event.

I would be cautious of this person in student services. I would rate your chances as much lower because you have no evidence that these events happened and appeal boards want evidence. I would say its more an answer of they dont know. Their assumption will be no evidence of something that happened over a year is insufficient for them to make a decision in your favour.

The pictures I was talking about concerned of all the beatings and bruisings you claim to have happened. Its not uncommon for people to take images of these.

1. Time is of the essence and you need the support of third parties. The officer at uni who deals with female issues , rape, assault and aggression. Every uni has them. Also the mental health/ counselling team.

2. Talk to appeals and get the appeal suspended till you have time to submit whatever evidence you have from third parties, although what they can say is limited.

3. If it doesnt work just leave. Start contacting clearing now and look for alternative courses. That is 100% in your power to do and gives you a fresh start. You can be doing that now.

Notwithstanding your experience, you need to give more urgency about the things I have suggested.
If I were in the situation I would be sceptical about the appeal working out because of the lack of evidence and be preparing for 3.
If you want the appeal to have more chance then you need to get that independent evidence.

Will I still be allowed to apply for other courses when I've been awarded an exit certificate for this one?
Will I still be allowed to apply for other courses when I've been awarded an exit certificate for this one?

You will have 2 options:
1. If they award you a certhe, then you can apply for a uni transfer into second year. Depends on course and uni. Takes a lot of ringing up and checking to see if they will take you.
2. If they dont issue or you want a fresh course then you need to submit a compelling personal reasons claim to student finance now, which if awarded would let you ignore this years finance usage and leave you enough to start any degree from year 1. You have to get a move on if thats what you want. They will also require evidence.

What does your personal tutor say about your experience?

You should be looking and contacting unis or using clearing now, if you want to continue studies in 2019.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
My personal tutor isn't much help at all. I asked him for advice and he sent me to student services.
You will have 2 options:
1. If they award you a certhe, then you can apply for a uni transfer into second year. Depends on course and uni. Takes a lot of ringing up and checking to see if they will take you.
2. If they dont issue or you want a fresh course then you need to submit a compelling personal reasons claim to student finance now, which if awarded would let you ignore this years finance usage and leave you enough to start any degree from year 1. You have to get a move on if thats what you want. They will also require evidence.

What does your personal tutor say about your experience?

You should be looking and contacting unis or using clearing now, if you want to continue studies in 2019.
My personal tutor isn't much help at all. I asked him for advice and he sent me to student services.

Ive told you above the three options you have and you now need to do as much as you can in terms of research and progressing each one to see which one best suits you.

Have you told any friends or your parents?
Have to talked to refuge or any of the helpines I linked?
You need to start acting in your own best interests.

Ask them if you can get a student advocate to help you.
https://www.refuge.org.uk/get-help-now/for-teenage-girls/
http://womanstrust.org.uk/

You need to make a to do list and get things done. If you dont you will miss out this year, so make the effort and if you cant do it alone then get help.
Family and friends etc.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Thank you for your help.. I'm going to look into starting a fresh course and also seeing if I can get counselling through my GP as I think the uni one won't be much help of they do not let me continue my studies there
Ive told you above the three options you have and you now need to do as much as you can in terms of research and progressing each one to see which one best suits you.

Have you told any friends or your parents?
Have to talked to refuge or any of the helpines I linked?
You need to start acting in your own best interests.

Ask them if you can get a student advocate to help you.
https://www.refuge.org.uk/get-help-now/for-teenage-girls/
http://womanstrust.org.uk/

You need to make a to do list and get things done. If you dont you will miss out this year, so make the effort and if you cant do it alone then get help.
Family and friends etc.
Thank you for your help.. I'm going to look into starting a fresh course and also seeing if I can get counselling through my GP as I think the uni one won't be much help of they do not let me continue my studies there

GL no harm in looking round and preparing for all eventualities.
Maybe a fresh start is in order.
If you need to start a degree from year 1 then you still have to prove compelling personal reasons as to the restart to get extra finance.
If its from year 2 you need your cert he from the existing uni.
Nobody has the right to hit you and if that every happens again then walk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending