The Student Room Group

feeling a bit lost.

I wanted to do medicine my whole life (as cliche as it sound) but after doing my A levels (bio maths and chem) the chance of me actually getting 3 As is virtually impossible. Its been a good month since my exams were dont but i cannot stop thinking about it. I had no back up, I was thinking of doing pharmacy (MPharm) but my cousins and uncle have scared the hell out of me. and after observing a community pharmacist i realised that its not for me. i would do biomedical science but the job prospects are freaking me out. then i thought maybe i might do diagnostic radiography. I thought that if i could graduate with a 1st in diagnostic radiography then maybe i could go into graduate entry medicine and if i get rejected the first time then i would have a stable job and i could save up money and apply again getting more experience. I know some unis dont look at the A levels when you apply for GEM like Warwick. but who knows by the time i apply all the unis may ask for a life science (radiography isnt a life science right?), three As at A level and the gamsat. ugh i feel like my career as a doctor has ended before it started. I dont qualify for a lot of the foundation courses. Im not sure about resit policies but i heard that alot of unis dont accept resits. and if they do youd have to get a certain minimum like AAB or ABB) the annoying thing is that i cant do anything right now but wait for results day to plan out the rest of my life. This is actually messing with my mind.

Its come to the point that i cannot enjoy this holiday. anything i do where it be walk in the park or playing playstation or watching netflix, reading manga or books or anything. i just feel dead inside. like i know many people have come before me and have gone through this but i dont know.

sorry for the long post ( and how all over the place this post is), i just wanted to see if there was anyone in a similar situation and how your going about it or how you went about it.

/rant

thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Caiyren
I wanted to do medicine my whole life (as cliche as it sound) but after doing my A levels (bio maths and chem) the chance of me actually getting 3 As is virtually impossible. Its been a good month since my exams were dont but i cannot stop thinking about it. I had no back up, I was thinking of doing pharmacy (MPharm) but my cousins and uncle have scared the hell out of me. and after observing a community pharmacist i realised that its not for me. i would do biomedical science but the job prospects are freaking me out. then i thought maybe i might do diagnostic radiography. I thought that if i could graduate with a 1st in diagnostic radiography then maybe i could go into graduate entry medicine and if i get rejected the first time then i would have a stable job and i could save up money and apply again getting more experience. I know some unis dont look at the A levels when you apply for GEM like Warwick. but who knows by the time i apply all the unis may ask for a life science (radiography isnt a life science right?), three As at A level and the gamsat. ugh i feel like my career as a doctor has ended before it started. I dont qualify for a lot of the foundation courses. Im not sure about resit policies but i heard that alot of unis dont accept resits. and if they do youd have to get a certain minimum like AAB or ABB) the annoying thing is that i cant do anything right now but wait for results day to plan out the rest of my life. This is actually messing with my mind.

Its come to the point that i cannot enjoy this holiday. anything i do where it be walk in the park or playing playstation or watching netflix, reading manga or books or anything. i just feel dead inside. like i know many people have come before me and have gone through this but i dont know.

sorry for the long post ( and how all over the place this post is), i just wanted to see if there was anyone in a similar situation and how your going about it or how you went about it.

/rant

thanks

Radiography is a healthcare degree so like you say it's not usually classed as a life science. That said, getting into GEM with a radiography degree is still very doable, especially if you're willing to be flexible about location. You don't need a first either.

Or you could do biomedical sciences - if you know you're definitely going for GEM then the long term job prospects of a biomed degree are less important surely. If you don't get in the first time round, you could spend a year being an HCA or phlebotomist or similar while you re-apply. Or you could do a masters degree if that's something which is practical for you.
Reply 2
wow. I had to google what a phlebotomist was (much research is needed in terms of the job market) . thanks I appreciate the advice
Original post by Democracy
Radiography is a healthcare degree so like you say it's not usually classed as a life science. That said, getting into GEM with a radiography degree is still very doable, especially if you're willing to be flexible about location. You don't need a first either.

Or you could do biomedical sciences - if you know you're definitely going for GEM then the long term job prospects of a biomed degree are less important surely. If you don't get in the first time round, you could spend a year being an HCA or phlebotomist or similar while you re-apply. Or you could do a masters degree if that's something which is practical for you.
Hey there, fingers crossed for you that you do get AAAs! however if you don't, and you also don't get the ABB or whatever you need to resit then I still wouldn't advise you to go for another degree aiming to do GEM after. I've said this in a couple of other threads, but exeter and plymouth will accept school leavers with no qualifications whatsoever if it's been 2 years since they sat their a-levels providing that they meet their GAMSAT cut off score. The issue with GEM isn't just that its harder to get into, but could you see yourself studying hard for a subject/area you ultimately don't want to go into?

I wish you good luck with whatever you decide.

Re phlebotomist: I worked as one whilst applying for GEM - would highly recommend!
Original post by Caiyren

/rant

thanks

Same situation but i had 1 interview and my backup ( but rejected it )then I kept thinking this is my only chance then messed it up. I was predicted A* in chem ( pray that i get it) but 2 Bs in psychology and biology which didn't make any sense as I was getting As throughout year 12 expect from my first mocks in february still salty because it stopped me from applying to the unis I had my heart set on going but it doesn't matter now praying to get the grades i want but how bad the exams went I just don't know and its frustrating because you can't do anything I understand. Oh i created a gyg so you can get the whole story there because its soo long i thought i was the only one in this situation. then repply or clearing

here is the link
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5858400&p=84560278&page=3#post84560278

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending