The Student Room Group

📣Careers advice live NOW📣

Send us your careers, education, employment and apprenticeship questions from 6pm-9pm!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I think I’ve failed my a levels so I have a long way to go to med, but my question was what stem based jobs or degrees have high rates of employment ?
Original post by Alayna1234
Hi, I think I’ve failed my a levels so I have a long way to go to med, but my question was what stem based jobs or degrees have high rates of employment ?

Hi there,

Thanks for your question.

To be honest most STEM careers are seeing strong job growth across the country and it is a fast growing career sector. Did you have any specific jobs in mind?

I hope that your A-level results are not what you're thinking but if this does happen there are other options and pathways out there.

Thanks - Sophie.
Hi there, I am in a bit of a situation right now. I'm currently working a full-time job with a somewhat long commute (2.5 hours a day both sides). I want to get on a graduate scheme for 2020 and they open in the upcoming September however, the application process for them is quite long so I'm not sure if there will be enough time for me after work in the evenings + weekends to apply myself fully to graduate scheme applications. Should I consider leaving my FT job, get a part time job (if I can get one) and look for graduate schemes full time?
Original post by mathsguy123
Hi there, I am in a bit of a situation right now. I'm currently working a full-time job with a somewhat long commute (2.5 hours a day both sides). I want to get on a graduate scheme for 2020 and they open in the upcoming September however, the application process for them is quite long so I'm not sure if there will be enough time for me after work in the evenings + weekends to apply myself fully to graduate scheme applications. Should I consider leaving my FT job, get a part time job (if I can get one) and look for graduate schemes full time?

Hi there,

Thanks for your post.

Two and half hours either side of your working day is considerably higher than the average (58 minutes) so I fully sympathise with your situation.

Do you get a couple of days off a week either at the weekends or during the week? Or are you able to plan in a few days of annual leave that will allow you to focus on your applications?

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks - Sophie.
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi there,

Thanks for your post.

Two and half hours either side of your working day is considerably higher than the average (58 minutes) so I fully sympathise with your situation.

Do you get a couple of days off a week either at the weekends or during the week? Or are you able to plan in a few days of annual leave that will allow you to focus on your applications?

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks - Sophie.

Ok so I have thought about that, I have 25 days annual leave allowance from now to end of April. Can possibly buy 10 holidays extra which gives me 35 days off. But will that be enough? I am not sure. I graduated in 2018 so really would like to get on to a good graduate scheme and not take risks however, maybe I am over estimating the work to get a graduate scheme? Interested to hear your and other peoples' opinions.
Original post by mathsguy123
Ok so I have thought about that, I have 25 days annual leave allowance from now to end of April. Can possibly buy 10 holidays extra which gives me 35 days off. But will that be enough? I am not sure. I graduated in 2018 so really would like to get on to a good graduate scheme and not take risks however, maybe I am over estimating the work to get a graduate scheme? Interested to hear your and other peoples' opinions.

Thanks for getting back to me.

It depends on how many you are thinking about applying for.

I would have thought that over the space of a week or even a few days you could do a fair few applications. People spend between 1-2 hours on a job applications (generally speaking).

It would be great to hear from other graduates about how long they tend to spend on the applications.

You could organise this in way that is more time efficient by narrowing down the positions you know you definitely want to apply for and try to read up on the organisations in your free time before sitting down to do the application process.

The hard truth is this question is a little bit like 'how long is a piece of string'

My advice would be to try and set aside some time (maybe take a week off) to focus on your applications, get yourself organised so you know exactly which ones you want to apply for and in your free time in between tasks do your organisation research.

I hope some other graduates are around tonight to help you out too!
Thanks for getting back to me.

It depends on how many you are thinking about applying for.

I would have thought that over the space of a week or even a few days you could do a fair few applications. People spend between 1-2 hours on a job applications (generally speaking).

It would be great to hear from other graduates about how long they tend to spend on the applications.

You could organise this in way that is more time efficient by narrowing down the positions you know you definitely want to apply for and try to read up on the organisations in your free time before sitting down to do the application process.

The hard truth is this question is a little bit like 'how long is a piece of string'

My advice would be to try and set aside some time (maybe take a week off) to focus on your applications, get yourself organised so you know exactly which ones you want to apply for and in your free time in between tasks do your organisation research.

I hope some other graduates are around tonight to help you out too!

Yeah I agree. I am thinking of applying for enough that will lead me to 5 final stage interviews/ assessment centres so that there is a high probability of me getting one. And thanks for the feedback, it helps a lot!
Hi there,

Thanks for getting involved tonight.

The best advice I can give is speak to the uni's directly. Your degree isn't related to the Msc you want to do but, they MAY be willing to overlook that based on how well you did and encourage you to make an application.

Getting into writing careers involves a lot of networking and getting your writing noticed. Volunteering at local newspapers can be a good place to start as well as doing your blogging in your free time.

You could work in TV or radio as a scriptwriter. BBC Writersroom has information, advice and workshops on writing and submitting scripts - https://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/

The Poetry Society and Writers & Artists have more details on writing competitions, how to enter and get involved -
https://poetrysociety.org.uk/competitions/
https://www.writersandartists.co.uk/

Once you start to build up both your experience and your reputation you may find it a little easier to go for writing jobs as you'll start to build up a portfolio of your work.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks - Sophie
I haven't seen it, but I'm not sure I would take careers advice from a meme but that's just me personally.
Send us your careers, education, employment and apprenticeship questions from 6pm-9pm!

I’m going back to university after a gap year to finish my final year. I want to get a banking job but I don’t have any experience or internship in banking. However, I have done some volunteer work at my university and the local community centre. Could you please advice me on how can I make my application better and how can I stand out?
My advice would be to email them, quite formally and explain that you're looking to build a career in the industry and build your work experience and would like the opportunity to volunteer or do some work placements with the newspaper.

The more you approach the more likely it is you will hear back. You could even approach local charities who often look for volunteers to support with their media and social media activity.
Original post by Lostgirl12
I’m going back to university after a gap year to finish my final year. I want to get a banking job but I don’t have any experience or internship in banking. However, I have done some volunteer work at my university and the local community centre. Could you please advice me on how can I make my application better and how can I stand out?

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch tonight.

Can I ask if you would consider getting some financial experience during your final year?

Generally, you will need about 6-12 months of relevant work experience on your CV especially for things like graduate schemes.

Thanks - Sophie.
Thanks for all your questions tonight, if you missed our live session you can chat to our advisers online until 10pm here -

https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/contact-us

GOODNIGHT
Goodnight.
Unfair isn’t it? No one tells 18 year olds that biology related degrees are not particularly employable but they promotion of STEM not unrealistically leads them to think all STEM degrees are the way to go.
Hi! We are live on TSR until 9pm! If you have any questions regarding careers, education or employment- ask us here.
You guys need to give us more notice.
Hi there!

Our live Q&A session are every Wednesday 6pm-9pm on Twitter, Facebook and TSR, however if you have any questions to ask which are not during our live sessions, we are still happy to answer these- it may just take a little longer for us to respond.

I hope this helps!

Thanks-Samrita.
Ah, that's very useful to know. Thank you :smile:
Hi there!

Our live Q&A session are every Wednesday 6pm-9pm on Twitter, Facebook and TSR, however if you have any questions to ask which are not during our live sessions, we are still happy to answer these- it may just take a little longer for us to respond.

I hope this helps!

Thanks-Samrita.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending