The Student Room Group

How do i access the medical school bank of mcqs

so i want to know what kind of qs they have on that bank..
Original post by Anonymous
so i want to know what kind of qs they have on that bank..

You don't lmao, unless they've told you how to (check your intranet?).

If not, just get a subsciption to OnExamination/PassMedicine/PasTest. Or MCQ books from the library.
What sort of books had similar qs to the mcqs tested in your exam?
Reply 3
they changed the format this week so they haven't been able to help.
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
You don't lmao, unless they've told you how to (check your intranet?).

If not, just get a subsciption to OnExamination/PassMedicine/PasTest. Or MCQ books from the library.

out of all those which was most helpful?
out of all those which was most helpful?

I used PassMedicine in med school - the notes were very good and I think it was actually the least expensive too.
Reply 6
Original post by Democracy
I used PassMedicine in med school - the notes were very good and I think it was actually the least expensive too.

my friend has an exam after tomorrow, she said 50% of her exams will be from the bank... should she use passmed or something else.
The medical school's bank of questions is independent of the ones commercially available. Depending on your medical school will depend on which commercial question bank, if any, most closely matches the style/content/difficulty of questions in your summative assessments. To protect the integrity of the assessment, your medical school obviously will not release their bank of live questions that could appear in this year's or future exams. There will also be some questions sampled from the UK Medical School Council's question bank - which is used by medical schools - but once again, these questions are kept strictly for faculty access only.

If you are going onto a completely new format of assessment this week and are generation 0 for it - there's no way of telling which commercially available question bank will be most helpful. It's unlikely your medical school will advise on that front. However, they should at release some specimen questions for you to get a flavour of the style and difficulty of questions.
Reply 8
Original post by purplefrog
The medical school's bank of questions is independent of the ones commercially available. Depending on your medical school will depend on which commercial question bank, if any, most closely matches the style/content/difficulty of questions in your summative assessments. To protect the integrity of the assessment, your medical school obviously will not release their bank of live questions that could appear in this year's or future exams. There will also be some questions sampled from the UK Medical School Council's question bank - which is used by medical schools - but once again, these questions are kept strictly for faculty access only.

If you are going onto a completely new format of assessment this week and are generation 0 for it - there's no way of telling which commercially available question bank will be most helpful. It's unlikely your medical school will advise on that front. However, they should at release some specimen questions for you to get a flavour of the style and difficulty of questions.

no specimen apparently copyright issues... Is there any way I can access the commercial question bank
no specimen apparently copyright issues... Is there any way I can access the commercial question bank

You sign up and pay for one - and then you can access it.
Original post by junior.doctor
You sign up and pay for one - and then you can access it.

how do i pay for it
how do i pay for it

What do you mean, how do you find the funds or how do you physically pay the money?
When you sign up online, there will then be a section to pay with debit card. Just like buying any other item online. Then you'll get log in details to be able to use the question bank.
What do you mean, how do you find the funds or how do you physically pay the money?
When you sign up online, there will then be a section to pay with debit card. Just like buying any other item online. Then you'll get log in details to be able to use the question bank.

sorry i misread that and thought you meant access to the medical school bank
sorry i misread that and thought you meant access to the medical school bank

Your question was "how can I access the commercial bank"...

You will NOT be able access your medical school's question bank that they use for setting exam questions. That would be pointless. Why would they allow you access to the actual questions that they put in the exam? Some med schools may give out a few sample questions so you can see the style of question, many don't. Generally, any of those sorts of things that they give out, are very clearly available on the university intranet.
Your question was "how can I access the commercial bank"...

You will NOT be able access your medical school's question bank that they use for setting exam questions. That would be pointless. Why would they allow you access to the actual questions that they put in the exam? Some med schools may give out a few sample questions so you can see the style of question, many don't. Generally, any of those sorts of things that they give out, are very clearly available on the university intranet.

thinking back to your final year MCQs what book/website/quizzes that you used had similar qs?
thinking back to your final year MCQs what book/website/quizzes that you used had similar qs?

My final year was 12 years ago. Things are very different now. There were no online question banks when I was a medical student!

Ask students in the year above you, which resources they found most useful for your year in your course. Every course is different.
My final year was 12 years ago. Things are very different now. There were no online question banks when I was a medical student!

Ask students in the year above you, which resources they found most useful for your year in your course. Every course is different.

oh that name tag tho haha. thanks for your help btw.
oh that name tag tho haha. thanks for your help btw.

I am still a junior doctor - as I am not yet a consultant.
Lots of people don’t realise that “junior doctor” doesn’t just apply to FYs/SHOs, but also applies to senior registrars too..... Which is daft.
Our finals came exclusively from the national bank and lots of things on passmedicine came up (I actually wish I’d done more passmed because it was so similar). I also had a subscription to OnExamination but found that the questions on there focused on rare diseases or tiny details and didn’t reflect the exam at all. I’ve never used PasTest so I can’t comment but I think people also find that useful.

I know we were allocated some questions but the med school chose the rest so I’m not sure if the similarity to passmed was driven by my particular uni or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending