The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I know this won't be popular, but I don't think young guys should be allowed to drive until they are over 21 and probably 25 or something like that. They are the absolutely worst drivers on the roads without doubt, the most prone to crashing and the most likely to cause death or serious injury to others and themselves. Anyone driving for a while will see incredible miscalculation, outrageous speeding and overconfidence and contempt for other drivers are all a standard feature for many young males in charge of vehicles.
Reply 2
It's been talked about before many times. Never really gets anywhere.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I know this won't be popular, but I don't think young guys should be allowed to drive until they are over 21 and probably 25 or something like that. They are the absolutely worst drivers on the roads without doubt, the most prone to crashing and the most likely to cause death or serious injury to others and themselves. Anyone driving for a while will see incredible miscalculation, outrageous speeding and overconfidence and contempt for other drivers are all a standard feature for many young males in charge of vehicles.

Of all people, you should know there'll never be a law created these days that treats one sex worse than another.
And anyway, as per the figures for fighting in schools and on the streets, girls will be catching up and overtaking soon enough.
Reply 3
Taxi drivers are the worst, especially considering they are supposed to be professional drivers. Stopping someone driving at night just means they will be worse at it later in life - doesn't make sense to me.
Original post by Drewski
It's been talked about before many times. Never really gets anywhere.

Of all people, you should know there'll never be a law created these days that treats one sex worse than another.
And anyway, as per the figures for fighting in schools and on the streets, girls will be catching up and overtaking soon enough.

Well in all seriousness if it got the young males off the roads, then by all means extend it to young women, even though all available evidence shows that young men are often unsuited to driving as they are over-confident and lack necessary inhibitions and are not trained to be protective of themselves or others. (not in all cases of course, but in enough to make this a public issue)
ugh, ban over 70s during the day.
This makes a lot of sense and is in the public interest. I'd also advocate that those under 25 with less than two years of post-test driving experience should not be able to carry more than one passenger between the ages of 15 and 21 inclusive.
I know this won't be popular, but I don't think young guys should be allowed to drive until they are over 21 and probably 25 or something like that.

Ban women from the middle lane.
One thing to be clear about on this subject is that most deaths caused by vehicle drivers are not the deaths of those in cars. Only 44% were in a recent study. A clear majority of deaths caused by car drivers are of pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/744077/reported-road-casualties-annual-report-2017.pdf

The figures for deaths and serious injuries have been coming down in recent years, most probably because of road congestion, preventing speeding and also because of increased use of lower speed limits, larger numbers of average speed detecting cameras and because of social pressures against bad driving. particularly the widening use of in-vehicle image recording.
Original post by the beer

Our sedate, but powerfully female and very slow domination of the central lanes makes the roads safer for everyone. :teehee:
Original post by the beer

Ban everyone from the middle lane
Original post by Good bloke
This makes a lot of sense and is in the public interest. I'd also advocate that those under 25 with less than two years of post-test driving experience should not be able to carry more than one passenger between the ages of 15 and 21 inclusive.

While it makes sense, how the hell do you police it?
Our sedate, but powerfully female and very slow domination of the central lanes makes the roads safer for everyone. :teehee:

That's a higher cause of accidents on motorways than anything else.
Original post by bones-mccoy
Ban everyone from the middle lane

Ban the middle lane. Job jobbed.
Original post by Drewski
While it makes sense, how the hell do you police it?

That's a higher cause of accidents on motorways than anything else.

Ban the middle lane. Job jobbed.

Speed is overwhelmingly the biggest cause of all accidents, motorway and otherwise, followed by alcohol/drug impairment and people falling asleep.

Of course people should respect the rules of the road and move over to the left on completion of overtaking, but the huge volumes on modern motorways and the behaviour of many drivers inevitably leads to comatose slow moving queues in all lanes. Alleging this is all caused by female drivers is a total nonsense.
Speed is overwhelmingly the biggest cause of all accidents, motorway and otherwise, followed by alcohol/drug impairment and people falling asleep.

Of course people should respect the rules of the road and move over to the left on completion of overtaking, but the huge volumes on modern motorways and the behaviour of many drivers inevitably leads to comatose slow moving queues in all lanes. Alleging this is all caused by female drivers is a total nonsense.

Its not the speed that kills, its the sudden stop at the end.

(I know you said accidents)
Original post by Andrew97
Its not the speed that kills, its the sudden stop at the end.

(I know you said accidents)

It's the inherent lack of ability to react in time that most speeding drivers suffer from. There is vast evidence accumulated over many decades that most drivers overestimate their abilities, stopping times available, etc and speed beyond their abilities. Males I don't have to mention are particularly affected by these delusions. The tendency of the motor car industry to constantly hype the speed of their vehicles does little to help things.
Like to see how this will be enforced
Alleging this is all caused by female drivers is a total nonsense.

Which is why I didn't do it.

I'm talking about middle lane hogs generally, regardless of sex.
Reply 17
Add:s-smilie:ome minors even drive without a driver's license.
Original post by Drewski
Which is why I didn't do it.

I'm talking about middle lane hogs generally, regardless of sex.

Sorry, I didn't mean you said it, I was referencing the earlier poster who did.
Original post by VisKent
Add:s-smilie:ome minors even drive without a driver's license.

Young kids driving around is a fairly common sight in my part of town. :teehee: One can call the cops, at which point you get a weary sigh and "oh. we'll send someone" in a tone suggesting nothing much will happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending