The Student Room Group

Young A levels

im in a levels at 15 i want to go to oxford for medicine but minimum age required in medicine is 18 years by then i will be only 17 years 10 months old what to do im too scared i really wanted to go to oxford

Scroll to see replies

Just take a gap year. What on earth are you scared of? Alternatively you could contact the uni when you’re at the point of applying in year 13 and see if they’d take you. If not, then my first point is again your answer.
Original post by Mehbhooba
im in a levels at 15 i want to go to oxford for medicine but minimum age required in medicine is 18 years by then i will be only 17 years 10 months old what to do im too scared i really wanted to go to oxford

as its only 2 months, i would email the Uni and ask if they could allow early entry hence check to ensure the application is not wasted.

if they say no, i guess you have no choice but to defer or go to another Uni. fyi with medicine going to Oxbridge is not as much of an advantage as other programs are.
You can still go to Oxford! Goodness me!

Why don’t you take a gap year right after a levels and do lots of medical reading? See if you can identify an area of medicine you are interested in and find out more about it.

You will have more time to practise for the bmat etc, without the distractions of school work. In fact, many would envy your position. Especially if you obtain the grades before applying, as any offer would be unconditional.

Plus join St. John ambulance and try to get work in a residential home once you reach 16.

If they don’t let you join med school until 18 I can see why. The extra workload can come as a shock. Also you will start anatomical prosecution and will open a door only to find body parts on the tables. This was tough for most of the 18 year olds to see ( but they’ve got used to it now)

My son has written a chapter about how he got in for Oxford medicine and what the course is like. Will tag you in.

Oxford's requirement is being 18 by 1st November, if that makes a difference. Although I'm sure you've looked that up already.

Have you looked at what unis will accept you? Because this is far from just Oxford. Being 18 is often a (admittedly really stupid but that's how they work) requirement of insurers including malpractice insurers, hence the requirement is becoming increasingly common nowadays.

Even if you are free to apply, Oxford is really competitive. It has one of the highest application to offer ratios of any med school, and a very high standard of applicant. I take it you have amazing GCSEs, for example? A great BMAT is also needed. Without knowing anything about you, your chances of getting in are less than 10% even if you can apply.

If you are too young, your option is apply for deferred entry, then if unsuccessful, gap year and reapply. Oxford do not normally like to make deferred entry offers, but its not unheard of.
Hola Mebhooba,

The minimum age bar for Medicine (due incidentally to the Clinical component in First Term) in full is as follows:

Your application will not be shortlisted unless you will be at least 18 years old on 1st November in the year you are intending to start the course.

It is possible to apply for deferred entry. The Medical School give this general advice:

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/faqs/can-i-apply-for-deferred-entry

The link above states that 'successful applications for deferred entry will generally be among the strongest of the cohort for their subject.' Our own preferred approach is to relax this condition in the case of candidates applying for deferred entry who would be significantly below age 18 at the start of the course should they not be taking a gap year. However, since Medicine admissions are centrally organised you would need to enquire whether or not you would need to 'be among the strongest of the cohort'.

Brasenose Admissions

Original post by nexttime
Oxford's requirement is being 18 by 1st November, if that makes a difference. Although I'm sure you've looked that up already.

Have you looked at what unis will accept you? Because this is far from just Oxford. Being 18 is often a (admittedly really stupid but that's how they work) requirement of insurers including malpractice insurers, hence the requirement is becoming increasingly common nowadays.

Even if you are free to apply, Oxford is really competitive. It has one of the highest application to offer ratios of any med school, and a very high standard of applicant. I take it you have amazing GCSEs, for example? A great BMAT is also needed. Without knowing anything about you, your chances of getting in are less than 10% even if you can apply.

If you are too young, your option is apply for deferred entry, then if unsuccessful, gap year and reapply. Oxford do not normally like to make deferred entry offers, but its not unheard of.
Reply 6
Thank you so much for the replies
Reply 7
Thank you so much
Original post by mnot
as its only 2 months, i would email the uni and ask if they could allow early entry hence check to ensure the application is not wasted.

If they say no, i guess you have no choice but to defer or go to another uni. Fyi with medicine going to oxbridge is not as much of an advantage as other programs are.
Reply 8
Thank you
(edited 4 years ago)

Exactly the same situation as you. I’m currently sixteen and going into year 13. They’re a good amount of unis that’ll take you at 17 and I’m talking Russel Group Universities. Oxford is a great UNI but just because of oxford you’ll delay your entire course by a year I really considered doing this I really wanted to apply there too. I had great stats and I felt it would the best for me to study medicine but now I’m really not bothered at the end you and the people who graduate from other Russel Group Unis still become doctors some world class doctors didn’t even go to oxford.
Think about it even the chances of getting in are slim but it’s worth a shot. Good luck in your future
Reply 10
Will atleast applying to my second choice cambridge worh
I know that, but these schools only take people 18 or above, Brighton and Sussex I know accepts candidates under 18. I don’t think you read the question clearly
Thanks but don’t worry I wasn’t assuming that I know clearly that RG universities aren’t always better.
Reply 13
Have a look here for med schools' minimum age requirement for medicine - but do check it is up to date before relying on it
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/minimum-age-requirements-for-medicine/

My advice would be not to be in such a hurry. Take a gap year, work a bit, travel a bit, have some time off and just give yourself a chance to enjoy life before you start on a process that is full on and will give you no respite for many years
Reply 14

I recommend taking a gap year. There's a business called Yipiyap that employ academic gap year students to provide tutoring in schools. They attract a lot of medics because you develop communication skills, empathy and confidence while also keeping on top of your studies.
It’s important to go to open days and see where you would be happy. If you really want Oxford course and you feel you have a chance, then you could still apply. However as nexttime said, it’s very competitive and grades alone will not get you a place
such a reppable comment. Enjoy your teenage years while you can.
Original post by GANFYD
Have a look here for med schools' minimum age requirement for medicine - but do check it is up to date before relying on it
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/minimum-age-requirements-for-medicine/

My advice would be not to be in such a hurry. Take a gap year, work a bit, travel a bit, have some time off and just give yourself a chance to enjoy life before you start on a process that is full on and will give you no respite for many years
Reply 17
Original post by Oxford Mum
such a reppable comment. Enjoy your teenage years while you can.

We are offering this advice, despite me being barely able to remember my own teenage years!! :rofl:
Yes, I see you, ecolier and nexttime constantly offering useful advice for info hungry prospective medics. The most important thing is you all know what it’s like on the other side (ie in the hospital/gp bubble)

Medicine isn't my area, but I do have one thing to add. You can get two attempts at a place, without delaying when you'd start. You can apply for deferred entry, and then, if unsuccessful, apply again during a gap (but productive) year. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending