The Student Room Group

Will Brexit be like the collapse of the Soviet Union?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ByEeek
Agreed. But if you destroy that society, what jobs are your uneducated kids going to do?

It’s capitalism that’s destroying society. I value my children’s happiness and welfare above working for some corporation that views then as replaceable cogs.
Original post by desou
This is such an odd and irrational stance. France and Germany are our greatest friends and allies in the world. We have a mutually beneficial partnership of equals with them - something we will never have with the US or China, for example.

Why would we want to totally wreck our own economy simply to slightly damage theirs? If they were our enemies, this would be stupid and irrational. But as they're not our enemies, but actually our most valuable and trusted allies and partners in geopolitics, this is beyond stupid, its completely and totally insane, like deciding to chainsaw off your own hands in order to win a bet where the prize is some gloves. Its just totally ****ing mental.

If the EU actually cared about the UK, they wouldn't be trying to trap us in the backstop. Since they don't care about us, they are. Our greatest allie is the US, the US will always defend the UK. The EU should be lucky that after WW2 they survived, we could have easily taken over France and dismantled Germany forever.
Reply 42
Original post by maachu_pichuu
If the EU actually cared about the UK, they wouldn't be trying to trap us in the backstop. Since they don't care about us, they are. Our greatest allie is the US, the US will always defend the UK. The EU should be lucky that after WW2 they survived, we could have easily taken over France and dismantled Germany forever.

The EU care about the people of the UK far more than our current leadership or anyone who advocates any form of Brexit. They've bent over backwards to try to make things as easy for us as possible. Honestly, when the dust has settled Donald Tusk deserves a knighthood. That man is an absolute ****ing hero.

The US could not give 3 ****s about the UK, Donald Trump has made that abundantly clear. There is no "special relationship". We are not equals. The US expects us to bend the knee at every opportunity. We are just another useful idiot.

"The EU should be lucky that after WW2 they survived" wtf. The EU didn't exist at the time of WW2. Is this genuinely how little you know about the subject? Typical Brexiteer, all mouth and zero actual understanding.
Original post by desou
The EU care about the people of the UK far more than our current leadership or anyone who advocates any form of Brexit. They've bent over backwards to try to make things as easy for us as possible. Honestly, when the dust has settled Donald Tusk deserves a knighthood. That man is an absolute ****ing hero.

The US could not give 3 ****s about the UK, Donald Trump has made that abundantly clear. There is no "special relationship". We are not equals. The US expects us to bend the knee at every opportunity. We are just another useful idiot.

"The EU should be lucky that after WW2 they survived" wtf. The EU didn't exist at the time of WW2. Is this genuinely how little you know about the subject? Typical Brexiteer, all mouth and zero actual understanding.

You should go and live in the EU then, why do you stay in the UK if you hate it so much?
Reply 44
You should go and live in the EU then, why do you stay in the UK if you hate it so much?

I do live in the EU you complete idiot, and so do you.

The only people here who hate the UK are the ones advocating it should leave the EU, which is the geopolitical equivalent of jumping off the boat straight into a river full of piranhas claiming its ok because you can walk on water. A real friend would not let you do that.
Original post by desou
I do live in the EU you complete idiot, and so do you.

The only people here who hate the UK are the ones advocating it should leave the EU, which is the geopolitical equivalent of jumping off the boat straight into a river full of piranhas claiming its ok because you can walk on water. A real friend would not let you do that.

We will be out of the EU on 31st October 2019, and good, that organisation has done nothing but bleed this country dry. Mass uncontrolled immigration, taking money from us and setting laws we don't want. We should celebrate our independence from the EU.
@desou and @Fullofsurprises I assume by your silence that you acknowledge then that the working classes did overwhelmingly vote for brexit. No sweat we all make mistakes

Despu- neither the Eu nor the us or anyone else cares about us. They are both rightly putting their interest first.

Full of surprises- I’m guessing you would vote to leave an EU headed by Salvini and refuse a free. Trade deal with the US even if doing so was hugely economically painful because you have a moral incentive to do so and that this is just as ‘irrational’ as the vote leave vote. Am I wrong?
Reply 47
We will be out of the EU on 31st October 2019, and good, that organisation has done nothing but bleed this country dry. Mass uncontrolled immigration, taking money from us and setting laws we don't want. We should celebrate our independence from the EU.

This time last year you said we'd be out of the EU on 31st March 2019. But we're not.

You're entirely wrong about the UK's position within the EU. There have been dozens upon dozens of political, sociological and economic studies about the costs and benefits of our relationship, and they've repeatedly concluded that EU membership has been incredibly powerful and empowering for the UK.

"Mass uncontrolled immigration" Complete rubbish - the majority of UK immigration comes from outside of the EU, and we have complete control of our borders. We have the right to kick out EU citizens who aren't contributing. Other countries do this, the UK chooses not to.

"taking money from us". More drivel. The financial benefits of being in the EU massively outweigh the relatively marginal costs. Estimates put the figure at around £30b per annum.

"setting laws we don't want". The EU does not set UK law. This is a complete myth.

Again - typical Brexiteer, you're totally and utterly misinformed about absolutely EVERYTHING.
Original post by desou
This time last year you said we'd be out of the EU on 31st March 2019. But we're not.

You're entirely wrong about the UK's position within the EU. There have been dozens upon dozens of political, sociological and economic studies about the costs and benefits of our relationship, and they've repeatedly concluded that EU membership has been incredibly powerful and empowering for the UK.

"Mass uncontrolled immigration" Complete rubbish - the majority of UK immigration comes from outside of the EU, and we have complete control of our borders. We have the right to kick out EU citizens who aren't contributing. Other countries do this, the UK chooses not to.

"taking money from us". More drivel. The financial benefits of being in the EU massively outweigh the relatively marginal costs. Estimates put the figure at around £30b per annum.

"setting laws we don't want". The EU does not set UK law. This is a complete myth.

Again - typical Brexiteer, you're totally and utterly misinformed about absolutely EVERYTHING.

It doesn't matter, boris will suspend parliament and we will be out on the 31st October. If you don't like it, tough, you can always move to Romania.
Reply 49
Original post by Alt Tankie
@desou and @Fullofsurprises I assume by your silence that you acknowledge then that the working classes did overwhelmingly vote for brexit. No sweat we all make mistakes

Despu- neither the Eu nor the us or anyone else cares about us. They are both rightly putting their interest first.

Full of surprises- I’m guessing you would vote to leave an EU headed by Salvini and refuse a free. Trade deal with the US even if doing so was hugely economically painful because you have a moral incentive to do so and that this is just as ‘irrational’ as the vote leave vote. Am I wrong?

Watch this clip from newsnight, and learn something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOMiUONDLno
Original post by desou

People voted for brexit because they were tired of polish, romanian and bulgarian immigration putting strain on jobs, schools, NHS and transport networks. It's never wise to have mass uncontrolled migration of low skilled labour, while simultaneously doing nothing to improve public services. I can count 4-5 eastern european shops that have opened on my high street, I don't want mass unskilled immigrants in this country, we have enough chavs already.
Reply 51
People voted for brexit because they were tired of polish, romanian and bulgarian immigration putting strain on jobs, schools, NHS and transport networks. It's never wise to have mass uncontrolled migration of low skilled labour, while simultaneously doing nothing to improve public services. I can count 4-5 eastern european shops that have opened on my high street, I don't want mass unskilled immigrants in this country, we have enough chavs already.

ok, so you're a massive racist and you don't want ethnic minorities or foreigners in the country.

Why didn't you just say that at the start? It would have saved you so much time making half-hearted and obviously nonsensical arguments.

Why don't YOU just move somewhere where there are no black people, Asian people, Polish plumbers, liberals, homosexuals etc? Like some kind of white supremacist summer camp that you never have to leave.

If this is all you want, just say so, I'm sure it could be arranged. On the Pitcairns or something maybe.
Original post by desou
ok, so you're a massive racist and you don't want ethnic minorities or foreigners in the country.

Why didn't you just say that at the start? It would have saved you so much time making half-hearted and obviously nonsensical arguments.

Why don't YOU just move somewhere where there are no black people, Asian people, Polish plumbers, liberals, homosexuals etc? Like some kind of white supremacist summer camp that you never have to leave.

If this is all you want, just say so, I'm sure it could be arranged. On the Pitcairns or something maybe.

I am not a racist, I just don't want unskilled immigrants, when we have plenty unskilled labour already in this country. I think you do this country an injustice when your allegiance lies with the EU. I support the Queen, the support the UK and I support its people. I don't suck up to some foreign entity and label people as racists.
Reply 53
I am not a racist, I just don't want unskilled immigrants, when we have plenty unskilled labour already in this country. I think you do this country an injustice when your allegiance lies with the EU. I support the Queen, the support the UK and I support its people. I don't suck up to some foreign entity and label people as racists.

But once again, this is complete *******s.

EU immigrants who come over here are generally high-skilled. They have on average higher skill rates than UK citizens. They have been shown to have a positive impact on public finances - ie far from "using up" public services, they tend to be young, fit, smart and employment, and they work hard and pay taxes for services they then don't use. We'd be far poorer, and our public services in even worse shape, without them.

So I'll ask again - given that its nothing to do with skills or public services, what IS it about foreign people that you hate so much?
Original post by desou
But once again, this is complete *******s.

EU immigrants who come over here are generally high-skilled. They have on average higher skill rates than UK citizens. They have been shown to have a positive impact on public finances - ie far from "using up" public services, they tend to be young, fit, smart and employment, and they work hard and pay taxes for services they then don't use. We'd be far poorer, and our public services in even worse shape, without them.

So I'll ask again - given that its nothing to do with skills or public services, what IS it about foreign people that you hate so much?

You can't guarantee anything mate when the border is open for any tom, **** or harry to walk over. I want SKILLED immigrants, I don't want polish people with no education claiming benefits and putting pressure on our schools and NHS. What is to stop them coming over? Unskilled immigration is no benefit to this country, we have plenty of people who could do those jobs.

I would say this max influx of unskilled people from the EU has ruined the UK, look at your surgery and NHS waiting times, look at the trains (you will be lucky if you get a seat), look at the schools. Our country has been ruined because of the EU mass immigration of people with little to no education.
Reply 55
You can't guarantee anything mate when the border is open for any tom, **** or harry to walk over. I want SKILLED immigrants, I don't want polish people with no education claiming benefits and putting pressure on our schools and NHS. What is to stop them coming over? Unskilled immigration is no benefit to this country, we have plenty of people who could do those jobs.

I would say this max influx of unskilled people from the EU has ruined the UK, look at your surgery and NHS waiting times, look at the trains (you will be lucky if you get a seat), look at the schools. Our country has been ruined because of the EU mass immigration of people with little to no education.

You're just repeating nonsense. I've told you the facts: EU immigrants are more skilled on average than the UK population. EU citizens do not have the right to settle in the UK and claim benefits indefinitely. EU migrants pay more in tax than they take out in public services.

Without EU migrants, we'd be poorer, our surgery and NHS waiting times would be longer, our trains would have less free seats, and our schools would be more overcrowded.

These are the verified facts. Nothing you are saying is true. Its almost like you just hate foreigners and are making up nonsense to try and justify that hatred.
That’s complete *******s from the neoliberal BBC. That show cites as evidence the very polling that I gave (lord Ashcrofts poll) that shows very clearly that the poorest classes D &E voted to leave. Then it’s the usual guff about the £350 million and being lied to. At least bother to watch the crap you post

Original post by desou

Reply 57
Original post by Alt Tankie
That’s complete *******s from the neoliberal BBC. That show cites as evidence the very polling that I gave (lord Ashcrofts poll) that shows very clearly that the poorest classes D &E voted to leave. Then it’s the usual guff about the £350 million and being lied to. At least bother to watch the crap you post

Mate, its Danny Dorling, Oxford don and the number 1 expert in Brexit voting patterns. I've met Danny a few times, he knows his stuff. I guarantee he knows a lot more about this than you do.

If you disagree with Danny, you're an idiot.
Original post by desou
You're just repeating nonsense. I've told you the facts: EU immigrants are more skilled on average than the UK population. EU citizens do not have the right to settle in the UK and claim benefits indefinitely. EU migrants pay more in tax than they take out in public services.

Without EU migrants, we'd be poorer, our surgery and NHS waiting times would be longer, our trains would have less free seats, and our schools would be more overcrowded.

These are the verified facts. Nothing you are saying is true. Its almost like you just hate foreigners and are making up nonsense to try and justify that hatred.

Are you even reading what you are writing?
Original post by desou
Mate, its Danny Dorling, Oxford don and the number 1 expert in Brexit voting patterns. I've met Danny a few times, he knows his stuff. I guarantee he knows a lot more about this than you do.

If you disagree with Danny, you're an idiot.

The only idiot here is you frankly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending