The Student Room Group

Super curriculars for philosophy and economics?

[deleted]
(edited 1 year ago)
The best thing you can do is LOADS and LOADS of reading (and note down everything the reading made you think too, it will form the backbone of your personal statement.) It is by far the most important thing.

Other things you could do: apply for some internships for economics? Or start a blog and write articles on philosophy and economics, perhaps in response to books you read? Or set up a debating society?

What ideas have you got for politics supercurriculars?
Reply 2
I just finished year 13. I applied for Econ and Maths, here’s what I did:

Volunteering: care home, local youth council, flyers for church, summer camp
Wider reading: MOOC on financial crisis, a book, essay comp, went to lecture in Switzerland, bunch of LSE lectures, economist magazine (great)
Work experience: big 4 firms and a bank (+ tutoring, summer camp leader)

Hope that gives you some ideas lol
Honestly I would say you'll do more work experience than most people who got offers ever did. The only work experience I did was a week's internship at a think tank in London during Year 12 summer. Be careful not to let all that, as good as it is, get in the way of your reading.

With the reading I went through the reading list on the PPE website. But don't stress about reading them all - if the first book you read really makes you curious about a specific topic and you want to read about it further, then go and do that. They want to see what you got out of the reading, and what it inspired you to do. I even had a line in my personal statement which was something like "this conflict between democracy and economic growth I observed while reading 23 Things they don't tell you about Capitalism lead me to Crick's essay ..." blah blah blah.

At the end of the day, be it book or work experience, what matters to Oxford is what you got from it intellectually. Both books and work experience should inspire you to further reading. Stuff you learn in class and current events should also inspire further reading, all of which you can write about in your personal statement!

You sound very determined and have clearly thought a lot about the steps you'll take to achieve your dream of studying PPE, and so I am sure this will all come naturally.
Original post by timif1
I just finished year 13. I applied for Econ and Maths, here’s what I did:

Volunteering: care home, local youth council, flyers for church, summer camp
Wider reading: MOOC on financial crisis, a book, essay comp, went to lecture in Switzerland, bunch of LSE lectures, economist magazine (great)
Work experience: big 4 firms and a bank (+ tutoring, summer camp leader)

Hope that gives you some ideas lol

Hey I was just wondering where you did work experience at?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending