The Student Room Group

Speeding ticket motorway Help

Hi there, I was on the motorway on the 6.7.19 & 7.7.19 m42 6500b gantrie.

I've now got x2 speeding tickets from that gantrie. The tickets say could resolve buy £100 & 3 points each one would this be the case once filled details in or could be worse... THERE WAS NO SPEED SIGNS UP INC NATIONAL SPEED LIMIT SIGN AND CAMERA DID NOT FLASH.... ANY HELP HERE AS IT WAS A HIRE VAN IT WAS ISSUED TO HIRE COMPANY ON THE 11.6.19 AND I RECEIVED IT ON THE 9.7.19 WITH ISSUE DATE ON THE PAPER 16.6.19...

NEED HELP HERE... I DRIVE FOR A LIVING AND NEED MY LICENCE CAN ONLY AFFORD 3 POINTS MAX OR LOSE MY JOB... MY FAULT YES I'M A FOOL YES. DONT SPEED NOTED...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
if the letter states a 100 fine and 3 points for each offence they can not change that once you respond. Do you not get the option to do the speed awareness course? if so you would only have to take 3 points for one of them
Reply 2
Firstly calm down with the caps.

Secondly it looks like you've made a mistake which will cost you, so be more careful in future because it sounds like you just have to suck it up. I don't have experience with this though so someone else might be able to say I'm wrong. If so then make this lesson count.
Reply 3
Sorry on caps must of hit cap button half way though... it was 93mph and 95mph !!! Again I'm a D****** yes... no speed awareness will send a picture of just one now..... will lose my job after 3 points any advise.

15633965417392650961169885983035.jpg15633967139712857449417824869874.jpg
Reply 4
Why were you going that fast? Surely there can’t be any need to be near that speed.

I’m guessing you are stuck with those points so you’re probably losing that job.
Why can you not do the course? Maybe ring them up and ask if it is an option? I think that they do not allow the course if you are speeding above a certain threshold (95 mph) is quite a lot to be speeding by. Ask though.

All Smart Motorways have cameras on them now, always slow down at the gantries.

Did your employer check your licence/points history when you first started? Do they do regular checks? Could you just not tell them?
Reply 6
that'll teach you not to speed like a tw@ on the motorway. what is the need to drive that fast and who are you trying to impress by speeding like that? drive properly or don't drive at all...
(edited 4 years ago)
The max limit with your force for a speed awareness course is 85mph in a car. What kind of van were you driving?

Does page 2 give you the option of rejecting the fixed penalty and going to court? That is your only hope.
Reply 8
Original post by Slowspeed24
Sorry on caps must of hit cap button half way though... it was 93mph and 95mph !!! Again I'm a D****** yes... no speed awareness will send a picture of just one now..... will lose my job after 3 points any advise.

yeah that's above max speed so speed awareness won't apply unfortunately
NO SPEED SIGNS UP INC NATIONAL SPEED LIMIT SIGN AND CAMERA DID NOT FLASH....

Neither of these is relevant. There are no speed limit signs on the motorway unless there is a limit below 70 mph.

Two offences on consecutive days shows that you consistently break the limit by rather a lot in that place. You should drive as if your job depended on keeping your licence, as it does apparently.
(edited 4 years ago)

We have all gone over 90 at some point. Just never got caught. Bummer eh. Expensive lesson to learn.
Original post by Bio 7
Why were you going that fast? Surely there can’t be any need to be near that speed.

I’m guessing you are stuck with those points so you’re probably losing that job.

When you work for the last 23 weeks 7 days a week 15-18 hours the thing I want to do I get home 60+ miles away.
I can see them!!
Attachment not found
When you work for the last 23 weeks 7 days a week 15-18 hours the thing I want to do I get home 60+ miles away.

Why is that relevant?

You weren't observant enough, and got caught. You need professional legal advice, but I don't see how you are going to avoid at least 6 points. I do have sympathy if you were driving safely on a motorway though - the limit hasn't changed, despite us driving much, much, more capable cars. The Highway Code gives a braking distance from 70mph of 75m. My current commuting car can stop in close to half that distance.
working long hours means you are tired and even more likely to be unable to safely drive at that speed. Even worse if you were driving a large vehicle. Take the points, learn the lesson and find a new job
Tbh if you're driving at 95mph you deserve everything you get. That is just ridiculous and dangerous. By all means injure yourself if you want to, but please don't put other road users at risk. You could kill someone's mum, dad, daughter, son. You've been allowed to drive a vehicle, and this brings with it great responsibility. Nobody cares how much you want to get home. It's better getting there late than not at all.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
We have all gone over 90 at some point. Just never got caught. Bummer eh. Expensive lesson to learn.

I doubt that. Getting caught driving at 95 miles an hour two days in a row shows a pattern of behaviour. If you take that risk, particular if you know that you can't afford the risk of the speeding tickets is reckless.

All the more reason not too speed. If you have been working 15-18 hours a day 7 days a week you will be tired and your driving will be impaired, your reaction times slower and your ability to cope with changing road conditions reduced.
For those speeds there is no way they would offer a speed awareness course. In fact, the OP is very lucky they gave the option of tickets and didn't send him straight to court.

Speed awareness courses are usually only considered if you've only gone slightly over the limit.
Original post by abucha3
Why can you not do the course? Maybe ring them up and ask if it is an option? I think that they do not allow the course if you are speeding above a certain threshold (95 mph) is quite a lot to be speeding by. Ask though.

All Smart Motorways have cameras on them now, always slow down at the gantries.

Did your employer check your licence/points history when you first started? Do they do regular checks? Could you just not tell them?
(edited 4 years ago)
You put others lives at risk and you think you deserve to get out of it. I think you should lose your job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending