The Student Room Group

I have been accepted by a uni (and I have firmed it) but I now want to go to another

Hello, I'm stressed and I need help!
I took a gap year after college but I have
a place already at Sheffield which I firmed last year on Ucas. However now I want to go to another Uni (SOAS) and apply through clearing how will I be able to change because it is quite late please help!
You should could ring UCAS, but they will tell you that they need Sheffield’s permission to release you from your offer. So, call Sheffield and ask them to release you from your offer and that you wish to be placed into clearing instead. Sheffield will probably tell you to write your request in an email with your personal UCAS ID. Sheffield then send their permission to UCAS and UCAS release you from your offer. (This is what happened for me when I wanted to be released from my insurance choice of uni)
Original post by anonONE1
You should could ring UCAS, but they will tell you that they need Sheffield’s permission to release you from your offer. So, call Sheffield and ask them to release you from your offer and that you wish to be placed into clearing instead. Sheffield will probably tell you to write your request in an email with your personal UCAS ID. Sheffield then send their permission to UCAS and UCAS release you from your offer. (This is what happened for me when I wanted to be released from my insurance choice of uni)

You don't need to do this as this year you are able to self release yourself into clearing.

I would call the uni you now want to apply to and say you want to apply through clearing and you'll probably have to give them details. Hopefully they'll give you a verbal offer and then you can log onto UCAS and self release into clearing and you'll be given a clearing number. Then call them again and give them that number and they'll tell you what will happen.
Original post by Mariashannon8
a place already at Sheffield which I firmed last year on Ucas. However now I want to go to another Uni (SOAS) and apply through clearing how will I be able to change because it is quite late please help!

This year UCAS have introduced an new feature to allow you to decline your firm place.

If SOAS are advertising spaces in clearing, then give them a ring tomorrow and talk to them about your situation. It might be possible to get a verbal offer, but it's more likely they'd want to see your application, in which case, you'll have to decline your current place so that SOAS can have access to your application- this does come with the risk that if SOAS don't accept you, you'd end up with potentially no place.

It might be worth speaking to Sheffield as well before declining to see if they'd hold your place for a short period.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
This year UCAS have introduced an new feature to allow you to decline your firm place.

If SOAS are advertising spaces in clearing, then give them a ring tomorrow and talk to them about your situation. It might be possible to get a verbal offer, but it's more likely they'd want to see your application, in which case, you'll have to decline your current place so that SOAS can have access to your application- this does come with the risk that if SOAS don't accept you, you'd end up with potentially no place.

It might be worth speaking to Sheffield as well before declining to see if they'd hold your place for a short period.

Where is that feature on UCAS? I rang them yesterday and they didn’t mention that I can release myself?
Where is that feature on UCAS? I rang them yesterday and they didn’t mention that I can release myself?

If you have an unconditional Firm offer from Sheffield, there should be a "decline your place" button in Track which allows you to do what it says on the tin. This is copied and pasted from the UCAS website:

From 5 July, if you are holding a firm unconditional place, you can use online self-release into Clearing, by using the ‘decline your place’ button in Track.

You should only use this button if you no longer wish to take up your place at your firm choice, and you have spoken to your university or college and/or an adviser at your school/centre.
If you use the button and complete the steps, your place will be declined and your contract with the university or college will be cancelled and you will lose your place therefore, only use this button if you are sure you no longer want your place.
Decline your place etc isn’t an option for someone with a deferred offer from last year.

OP - you need to completely withdraw your 2018 cycle application (through Track if you can see that option or by ringing Sheffield). You also need to complete (including PS and reference and application fee) a 2019 cycle application to use 2019 clearing.
Original post by harrysbar
If you have an unconditional Firm offer from Sheffield, there should be a "decline your place" button in Track which allows you to do what it says on the tin. This is copied and pasted from the UCAS website:

From 5 July, if you are holding a firm unconditional place, you can use online self-release into Clearing, by using the ‘decline your place’ button in Track.

You should only use this button if you no longer wish to take up your place at your firm choice, and you have spoken to your university or college and/or an adviser at your school/centre.
If you use the button and complete the steps, your place will be declined and your contract with the university or college will be cancelled and you will lose your place therefore, only use this button if you are sure you no longer want your place.

Thank you!
Thank you!

Well I did try to help but it seems my advice was flawed as @PQ has pointed out above that you can't simply decline your place since you have a deferred offer from last year - sorry :frown:
Heyy @Mariashannon8 :smile:

You can ring the university you want to go today and apply with them through clearing. If they can offer you a place, I would then log on to UCAS and 'self-release' yourself from your previous university you applied for. Then, you can add your new offer from the university to UCAS.

I hope this makes sense, good luck!:biggrin:

Ashley :tongue:
Original post by Mariashannon8
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Heyy @Mariashannon8 :smile:

You can ring the university you want to go today and apply with them through clearing. If they can offer you a place, I would then log on to UCAS and 'self-release' yourself from your previous university you applied for. Then, you can add your new offer from the university to UCAS.

I hope this makes sense, good luck!:biggrin:

Ashley :tongue:

That won’t work, see the posts above

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending