Timmermans: UK ran around 'like idiots' in Brexit negotiations Watch

Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Lets see how triggered the resident population of brexstremists here get with this latest report on the ineptitude of their plan :rolleyes:

UK ministers were "running around like idiots" when they arrived to negotiate Brexit in 2017, a top EU official says.
The EU Commission's First Vice-President, Frans Timmermans, said he expected a "Harry Potter-like book of tricks" from ministers.
But he told BBC's Panorama that, instead, they were like Lance Corporal Jones from Dad's Army.
Panorama: Britain's Brexit Crisis is due to be broadcast on BBC One on Thursday at 21:00 BST.
Negotiations between the UK and EU began in 2017 after Prime Minister Theresa May triggered the Article 50 process to leave the bloc.
At the end of 2018, a withdrawal agreement was settled between the two sides and EU officials said the matter was closed.
But MPs voted against the plan three times, which led to a number of delays to the exit date - now set for 31 October.

In an interview in March 2019 with the BBC's Nick Robinson, Mr Timmermans said he found it "shocking" how unprepared the UK team was when it began negotiations.
"We thought they are so brilliant," he said. "That in some vault somewhere in Westminster there will be a Harry Potter-like book with all the tricks and all the things in it to do."
But after seeing the then-Brexit Secretary David Davis - who resigned over his disagreements with the deal - speaking in public, his mind changed.
"I saw him not coming, not negotiating, grandstanding elsewhere [and] I thought, 'Oh my God, they haven't got a plan, they haven't got a plan.'
"That was really shocking, frankly, because the damage if you don't have a plan...
"Time's running out and you don't have a plan. It's like Lance Corporal Jones, you know, 'Don't panic, don't panic!' Running around like idiots."
'Playing games'

Mr Timmermans - interviewed two months before Mrs May announced her resignation - also criticised Boris Johnson's approach to Brexit negotiations from when they began.
"Perhaps I am being a bit harsh, but it is about time we became a bit harsh. I am not sure he was being genuine," he said.
"I have always had the impression he is playing games."
Mr Johnson was asked for an interview by Panorama, but he declined.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49021081
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lol, this isn't really news - it was so patently obvious that Davis had absolutely no clue what to do and also very little interest in doing it. I think he was the kind of Brexiteer (and there are lots like this) who thinks that now they've jolly well voted for it, everything will simply fall into place and all that needs doing is issuing the odd insult about Johnny Foreigner and treating any talks with derision or lazy irresponsibility - something that Davis excels in.

I always assumed Theresa May gave him that job precisely so that no progress would be made and Brexit be put off. That's kind of what's happened thus far.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Boris will get things moving. yes sirree Bob.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by the bear)
Boris will get things moving. yes sirree Bob.
He will wave a smoked mackerel about, causing widespread fear and trembling throughout the Barnier and Juncker teams.
Palmyra
Report 1 month ago
He's not wrong. Disgraceful incompetence from our side.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
He will wave a smoked mackerel about, causing widespread fear and trembling throughout the Barnier and Juncker teams.
FWIW in French un maquereau is a pimp

:pierre:
username4540078
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This isn't really news, the chaos and confusion was entirely apparent from news reports at the time.

If Brexiters had done some serious planning beforehand rather than expecting other people to think for them, our government could have gone into the negotiations with a genuine plan and we would have already left the EU by now.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by the bear)
FWIW in French un maquereau is a pimp

:pierre:
The Boris plan is to intimidate the horrible foreigners with a whole array of wet fish and possibly also some selected salad items.
nutz99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The problem was that they were expecting a no vote and the resulting vote befuddled them. Even after, I feel that they expected acceptance of some sort of halfhearted deal to leave the EU but really staying in the EU expecting the public to accept their hogwash. Like a lot of government ministers - wrong person, wrong job!

(Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe)
This isn't really news, the chaos and confusion was entirely apparent from news reports at the time.

If Brexiters had done some serious planning beforehand rather than expecting other people to think for them, our government could have gone into the negotiations with a genuine plan and we would have already left the EU by now.
Napp
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
I always assumed Theresa May gave him that job precisely so that no progress would be made and Brexit be put off. That's kind of what's happened thus far.
I believe the political term for such a move is masterly inactivity :lol:
Napp
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe)

Nevermind their atrocious belittling of the Civil Service, the people who actually have to carry out this act, unlike the politicians who do damn all.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Nevermind their atrocious belittling of the Civil Service, the people who actually have to carry out this act, unlike the politicians who do damn all.
The way the ERG and their Johnson-come-lately fellow travellers have behaved towards the major British institutions, like for example senior civil servants (not least, Olly Robbins) during this process has been appalling. These are not people who believe in British institutions. They are extremists, people more wedded to an Ayn Rand model of dog-eat-dog economics and their own money making schemes. Rees-Mogg is a well-tailored professional liar and con artist who is far more motivated by his capital investment interests (in Russia and the EU) than in anything going on in this country.
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean, it’s not a totally naive position to think that IF leaving the European Union is being presented in an option during an election then if you vote for that there will be a process for delivering it and it will be delivered (comparative to what happens during a general election, council election etc.). The issue at bottom was that a binary choice was presented to the public in a bizarre turn of events where there was no process for actually implementing one of the options.
scenicroute
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's going to be no deal because any other option is seen as impure or a *******ization of the original dream. It's gonna be a Red, White and Blue Brexit and you're gonna like it.
username4750714
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by scenicroute)
It's going to be no deal because any other option is seen as impure or a *******ization of the original dream. It's gonna be a Red, White and Blue Brexit and you're gonna like it.
Yes who doesn't love a good old recession?
scenicroute
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lol, and Boris "**** Business" Johnson is about to be elected next PM. Do you think he would have said if he wasn't playing to the crowd so to speak?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (198)
24.15%
Pop (202)
24.63%
Jazz (33)
4.02%
Classical (46)
5.61%
Hip-Hop (155)
18.9%