The Student Room Group

JRM's hedge fund

I was recently reading an article in the crock of [fill in the blank] that is the New European when I discovered a strange argument. Apparently Jacob Rees-Mogg has moved his hedge fund to Dublin because [insert conspiracy theories about how he is working with the Illuminati/Russians/Tufton St/Da Jooos to cause Brexit and make money].
I was thinking about this and have decided to make the Remainy populace of TSR an offer. If anyone can provide me with real proof that his hedge fund (Somerset Capital) has moved the entirety operations to Dublin, I will gladly delete this account.

Good luck

Scroll to see replies

We all know you'll ignore any proof of Somerset Capital setting up operations in Dublin, you've already moved the goalposts to entirety of operations rather than set up in Dublin to keep access to the EU (the actual charge), but how about the Financial Times, or The Irish Times.

Brexit is a monumental act of national self harm, everyone knows that, and serves only disaster capitalists.
Reply 3
Original post by LiberOfLondon
I was recently reading an article in the crock of [fill in the blank] that is the New European when I discovered a strange argument. Apparently Jacob Rees-Mogg has moved his hedge fund to Dublin because [insert conspiracy theories about how he is working with the Illuminati/Russians/Tufton St/Da Jooos to cause Brexit and make money].
I was thinking about this and have decided to make the Remainy populace of TSR an offer. If anyone can provide me with real proof that his hedge fund (Somerset Capital) has moved the entirety operations to Dublin, I will gladly delete this account.

Good luck

No one has ever made that claim...
with the pound sterling falling against the major currency such as US$ dollar. Most of the liquid assets, cash are moving out of the UK. And going into the safe haven.
it is human nature.
save as much money as you can , before the fire gets to it.
this is part of leaving the EU. too much uncertainty and the investors will shy away from the UK.
Original post by Napp

I point you to the users of the #FBPE hashtag.
Reply 6
I point you to the users of the #FBPE hashtag.

Cant say I use twitter (which i assume you're refering to?) However, a twitter user does not an authoritative source make.. Especially as you were asking for sources, which i take to mean reputable articles.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
We all know you'll ignore any proof of Somerset Capital setting up operations in Dublin, you've already moved the goalposts to entirety of operations rather than set up in Dublin to keep access to the EU (the actual charge), but how about the Financial Times, or The Irish Times.

Brexit is a monumental act of national self harm, everyone knows that, and serves only disaster capitalists.

Who's everyone?
Reply 8
Attack Moggy you attack me :angry:
Original post by Napp

I believe you are incorrect once again. Many people have made this incorrect accusation including Jeremy Corbyn several times.
Reply 10
Original post by Burton Bridge
I believe you are incorrect once again. Many people have made this incorrect accusation including Jeremy Corbyn several times.

Read the context of my reply before making an incorrect comment, yet again.
Original post by Napp
Read the context of my reply before making an incorrect comment, yet again.

Mmm- No one has ever made that claim...

I'm lost, explain to me what you are saying by the words, No one has ever made that claim...if its not that nobody has claimed Jacob Rees-Mogg moved his hedge fund to the eurozone? :redface:

I will also alert @QE2 to this topic, he claimed this himself which I dismantled but QE2 refused to believe. I look forward to proof, not that I want @LiberOfLondon to delete their account, I'm pretty sure your safe mate :wink:
Reply 12

I'm lost, explain to me what you are saying by the words, No one has ever made that claim...if its not that nobody has claimed Jacob Rees-Mogg moved his hedge fund to the eurozone? :redface:

I will also alert @QE2 to this topic, he claimed this himself which I dismantled but QE2 refused to believe. I look forward to proof, not that I want @LiberOfLondon to delete their account, I'm pretty sure your safe mate :wink:

You dont seem to understand the concept of context? He was asking for sources that have made this claim i.e. papers, journals and other reputable sources i.e. none of the aforementioned have ever claimed that Moggs entire operation has moved. Random people who preach their expertise on forums/social media dont count as sources in this instance im afraid.
Really, if you're going to try and make yourself appear smart it would help if you actually read the background to said comment before making these rather amusing comments.

Equally, i rather doubt you "dismantled" QE2's remarks on the matter. I might disagree with him on many things but he tends to know his stuff and is a far superior debator to your good self im afraid. In particular he doesnt falsely inflate his own nominal intelligence and just call everything he doesnt like "wrong", "a lie" or "slander".
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Napp
You dont seem to understand the concept of context? He was asking for sources that have made this claim i.e. papers, journals and other reputable sources i.e. none of the aforementioned have ever claimed that Moggs entire operation has moved. Random people who preach their expertise on forums/social media dont count as sources in this instance im afraid.
Really, if you're going to try and make yourself appear smart it would help if you actually read the background to said comment before making these rather amusing comments.

Equally, i rather doubt you "dismantled" QE2's remarks on the matter. I might disagree with him on many things but he tends to know his stuff and is a far superior debator to your good self im afraid. In particular he doesnt falsely inflate his own nominal intelligence and just call everything he doesnt like "wrong", "a lie" or "slander".

Well that depends on how you define source, anyway thank you for explaining even though it was a little confrontational but as least we are making progress!

the fact remain the facts, we still don't directly elect a British Prime Minister which is unequivocal fact

Anyway thanks for the explanation even though I'm not convinced that that's true but I'll leave it here because Ive got work to do, unfortunately.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14

The company that Mogg works for stated in its own prospectus that it was creating that fund in Ireland to avoid the predicted issues caused by Brexit. I quoted this the last time you brought this up.
You are clearly delusional if you think you have dismantled anything (except perhaps any sense of your own credibility and self-respect).
Original post by QE2
The company that Mogg works for stated in its own prospectus that it was creating that fund in Ireland to avoid the predicted issues caused by Brexit. I quoted this the last time you brought this up.
You are clearly delusional if you think you have dismantled anything (except perhaps any sense of your own credibility and self-respect).

Is J R-M the MD of Somerset Capital or just an employee?
Original post by Napp
Again irony abounds in this post...

I've taken nothing out of context. Maybe if you wish to make the point Jacob Rees mogg moved his entire company, this is your point is it not?

there are plenty of 'sources' which has peddled this mistruth. Hear the Labour Party leader.

https://youtu.be/34W5K0ztnho

Many newspapers have reported the company opened in Ireland also.

Good day
(edited 4 years ago)
@QE2

I didn't? Well I got you so discombobulated that you posted a link trying to prove the same point you have again just stated in #16 l. In your link it stated this;

'A spokesperson for SCM said that for many years it had plans to launch a dedicated strategy for UK and European investors, saying: “Our decision to choose Ireland as a domicile had absolutely nothing to do with Brexit. We have funds domiciled all over the world including in Europe, the US and Australasia, and we will continue to offer a global service to our client base.”

:lol: priceless.

Come on then you pair provide some with real proof that his hedge fund (Somerset Capital) has moved the entirety operations to Dublin, I'll get my popcorn
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 18
Is J R-M the MD of Somerset Capital or just an employee?

He is a non-executive board member. He is paid nearly £500/hour for his trouble.
Reply 19
Good lord above, I tried to give you a way out, when it's clear as day I've took nothing out of context. Maybe if you wish to make the point Jacob Rees mogg moved his entire company, this is your point is it not?

Anyway you are still incorrect, they are still in london, so as per usual you're incorrect. Also there are plenty of 'sources' which has peddled this mistruth. Hear the Labour Party leader.

https://youtu.be/34W5K0ztnho

Many newspapers have reported the company opened in Ireland also.

I've had many of good debate with A level students, you could learn much from them

Good day

When your argument relies on the semantic difference between "He moved his hedge fund to Ireland to avoid potential issues caused by Brexit" and "He set up his new hedge fund in Ireland to avoid potential issues caused by Brexit", you know you are in trouble. :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending