The Student Room Group

Should I get ANC headphones for uni?

I know I most likely won’t actively need them, but I’m trying to justify spending £250+ on a pair of headphones.

I’m looking at the Sony WH-1000mx3 or the Bose QC 35 ii.

Is this a waste of money? Please someone help justify this purchase lmao

I was thinking that they’d be useful if my halls were noisy or for studying.
Not an expert, but the new Bose 700 might also be worth looking at around this price range.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Not an expert, but the new Bose 700 might also be worth looking at around this price range.

I don't think I'd be able to find them under £340 sadly :frown:
Bose QC35 ii’s, you will not regret your purchase. Worth every last penny.

I think knows his stuff on this subject and will be able to offer you good advice.
I got refurbished Sony WH-1000xm3 at a cheaper price and boy they are AMAZING!
For uni? No, you don't need anything like that for uni.

If want them just buy them. Don't make up a reason to justify the purchase.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Bose QC35 ii’s, you will not regret your purchase. Worth every last penny.

I think @Gofre knows his stuff on this subject and will be able to offer you good advice.

Over the Sony ones? Or are they relatively equal? I have small ears so the cup size on the headphones is not an issue
Original post by WhatIsLife1
Over the Sony ones? Or are they relatively equal? I have small ears so the cup size on the headphones is not an issue

Watch some YT reviews and comparisons from audiophiles. I watched them before I got my QC35’s and they mentioned there wasn’t much difference between each; but most concluded that the QC35’s were marginally better.
I bought the Bose ones from Amazon for 275£ I think. They are fabulous and up to this day I dont regret my decision, very comfortable, easy to use, Alexa integrated, noise cancellation works amazing even if you are not listening any music... go for it!
Original post by Anonymous
I got refurbished Sony WH-1000xm3 at a cheaper price and boy they are AMAZING!

Where from?
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Watch some YT reviews and comparisons from audiophiles. I watched them before I got my QC35’s and they mentioned there wasn’t much difference between each; but most concluded that the QC35’s were marginally better.

I could actually pop into Curry's and try them both on the way back from work tomorrow to be honest
(edited 4 years ago)
I could actually pop into Curry's and try them both on on the way back from work tomorrow to be honest

Not a bad idea
Where from?

Amazon
Original post by Anonymous
Amazon

I got the black ones which for some reason are more expensive, but they were literally brand new apart from the box.
Bose are not a serious contender by any qualitative metric. Instead, consider Sony, Sennheiser (HD6XX), Stax, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Audio-Technica or Koss.
I know I most likely won’t actively need them, but I’m trying to justify spending £250+ on a pair of headphones.

I’m looking at the Sony WH-1000mx3 or the Bose QC 35 ii.

Is this a waste of money? Please someone help justify this purchase lmao

I was thinking that they’d be useful if my halls were noisy or for studying.

Active noise cancelling works best on constant or continual background noise like the noise of car engines or trains, it's less effective for spontaneous or changing noise like people talking in the background or other sources of music. A good pair of sealed headphones will block out 90% of the noise passively when listened to at even moderate volumes, and will sound much better than a pair of ANC headphones at the same time. Unless you plan on listening at low volumes, I would skip the noise cancelling options and go for a pair of regular closed back headphones. If you can give me a rough budget I can make recommendations.
They will be used for fairly frequent travelling also. 2+ plane journey's abroad per year and countless hour+ ones on a train.

I've got an absolute maximum of £250, willing to buy second hand.
They will be used for fairly frequent travelling also. 2+ plane journey's abroad per year and countless hour+ ones on a train.

I've got an absolute maximum of £250, willing to buy second hand.

In that case ANC headphones are worth considering.

With that said, I'm going to make a third suggestion, the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0. They're the best sounding of the bunch and come in significantly under budget. The noise cancelling is better on the other two pairs, but not enough to justify spending an extra 30-40% for your described usage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Momentum-Over-Ear-Wireless-Headphones-Black/dp/B00SUZVLAA/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=momentum+2.0&qid=1563523754&s=gateway&sprefix=momentum+&sr=8-2
Alright. Thanks a bunch man!
Alright. Thanks a bunch man!

No worries :yy: the Momentum's benefit from.having an extra couple of years of price depreciation under their belt, they're fantastic at they're current price.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending