The Student Room Group

Adivce for year 11's going to year 12

I wanted to write this for anyone who wants advice on transitioning and wat its like cuz when I went to year 12 I was sooo clueless.

My biggest tip for anyone is START EARLY cuz u might think u have forever left but u don't trust me u have to do ur mocks for predicted grades, u have to apply for uni and do work experiance (if u need to), u have to build up ur personal statement. Start early means pay attention in class, think about wat course u wanna do in uni now like in the holiday have a plan sorted out and work towards that goal, u don't wanna be in July still deciding on wat course u wanna do cuz deadlines r in October for medical and dental students and the rest in January like u really don't have time if u start early it helps.

If u wanna do medicine or dentistry apply for admissions tests such as UCAT and/or BMAT I didn't even know wat these were until someone asked me if I booked it, research unis u wanna go to and wat they require have a plan early on so u know wat to work to for example if u need AAA or work experiance.

Work experiance is another thing find placements early on when u don't have much to do in the beginning ur school should let u have days off to do work experiance even if its for a whole week, when u write about work experiance in ur personal statement don't just state u went to work experiance do further reading and say wat u learnt from it and say stuff like 'I was able to organise work experiance at...' it shows u were able to put in the effort to get work experiance urself.

Another major thing is don't focus on the drama if it wont matter in 5 years don't spend ur time and energy on useless drama I know my year had so much drama that people were more invested on that then getting good grades u have 2 years to make it count like 2 years is nothing it goes by so quick, if u have issues with teachers or the work go tell someone its ur learning take control of it, if school isn't helping do the work urself buy stuff like snap revise or get a tutor to help if u need it don't put stuff like that off.

Book open days early on u have to decide on which uni u wanna go to in like September to January depending on ur deadline its best to get an idea of wat the university looks like so ur not blindly making any decisions.

Also go to lectures universities such as Kings and UCL hold free public lectures it looks good on ur personal statement.
In ur free periods don't spend all ur time messing around with ur friends go to a quite area and revise this really helps
(edited 4 years ago)
Pay attention to your mental health. Most people in my year cried at least once. It's tough! Communication is key, let people know if you are struggling....
that was really helpful thank you! could you please give me some advice on how to revise and stuff? i know i should be doing stuff at home, but i dont know what i could be doing to improve my grades
just wondering how do you take notes in class? do schools provide books like they did with GCSEs or do you bring your own? ((: how did you guys spend your year 11 summer holiday?
Reply 4
100% true i let my mental health slllippp its harder to get better than to try to prevent it step my step
Original post by EmCharles
Pay attention to your mental health. Most people in my year cried at least once. It's tough! Communication is key, let people know if you are struggling....
Reply 5
Spend ur summer relaxing don't do work if u get summer work only do that trust me this summer is the only time you'll get to fully rest the summer between year 12 and 13 is just revision.
For note taking i took rough notes in class then after class i used my text book and snap revise to make more detailed notes, don't just copy notes make sure u understand then ur gonna remember the content for longer if u properly understand it.
BIGGEST PIECE OF ADVICE read ahead before u go into ur class it definitely helps u understand more even make rough notes before class so u have an understanding.
For textbooks u really just have to ask ur teachers i didn't get any for my first year but they gave us books in the second year it really just depends.
Original post by pipthesqueak
just wondering how do you take notes in class? do schools provide books like they did with GCSEs or do you bring your own? ((: how did you guys spend your year 11 summer holiday?
NEVER rewrite your notes!

Have a copy of the spec for each of your subjects and make sure you're always referring to it. Especially science subjects
Reply 7
Make sure u try to understand the content than just memorising, go to ur teachers and ask for help like go over topics u did in class another thing is I personally can’t revise at home i always go to the library its a different environment ,also try whiteboards this might help i remember seeing alot of people using whiteboard to study ik it sounds pointless but it really does help and do practise questions idk wat subjects ur doing but try websites like physics and maths tutors
Original post by shauna.23
that was really helpful thank you! could you please give me some advice on how to revise and stuff? i know i should be doing stuff at home, but i dont know what i could be doing to improve my grades
I got some Workshadowing done, I'm glad I did, saves me from having to do a lot this summer for my personal statement. Also printed off all the specs for my subjects and read through them. I also made sure I brushed up on my GCSE knowledge for biology
Original post by pipthesqueak
Reply 9
Another thing is make a good impression on ur teachers when it comes to predicted grades (july-septemeber) if they think u don't care no matter what grade u get in ur mocks there probably gonna doubt u, i didn't care at all in my chemistry classes cuz i hated the teacher (she couldn't teach) i wouldn't show up to class when i got my grade from my mocks they couldn't believe that i did good cuz they thought i Couldn't care less.
Make sure u give of the best impression and don't fall into the wrong crowds literally I'm trying to give advice on all my mistakes, hope they help

Original post by alexa_g62
I wanted to write this for anyone who wants advice on transitioning and wat its like cuz when I went to year 12 I was sooo clueless.

My biggest tip for anyone is START EARLY cuz u might think u have forever left but u don't trust me u have to do ur mocks for predicted grades, u have to apply for uni and do work experiance (if u need to), u have to build up ur personal statement. Start early means pay attention in class, think about wat course u wanna do in uni now like in the holiday have a plan sorted out and work towards that goal, u don't wanna be in July still deciding on wat course u wanna do cuz deadlines r in October for medical and dental students and the rest in January like u really don't have time if u start early it helps.

If u wanna do medicine or dentistry apply for admissions tests such as UCAT and/or BMAT I didn't even know wat these were until someone asked me if I booked it, research unis u wanna go to and wat they require have a plan early on so u know wat to work to for example if u need AAA or work experiance.

Work experiance is another thing find placements early on when u don't have much to do in the beginning ur school should let u have days off to do work experiance even if its for a whole week, when u write about work experiance in ur personal statement don't just state u went to work experiance do further reading and say wat u learnt from it and say stuff like 'I was able to organise work experiance at...' it shows u were able to put in the effort to get work experiance urself.

Another major thing is don't focus on the drama if it wont matter in 5 years don't spend ur time and energy on useless drama I know my year had so much drama that people were more invested on that then getting good grades u have 2 years to make it count like 2 years is nothing it goes by so quick, if u have issues with teachers or the work go tell someone its ur learning take control of it, if school isn't helping do the work urself buy stuff like snap revise or get a tutor to help if u need it don't put stuff like that off.

Quick Reply

Latest