The Student Room Group

Birkbeck reputation in IB/Sales and Trading? CFA instead?

I got 2 rejections from the LSE =(((
in MSc Finance & MSc Finance and Economics

I was thinking of applying to Birkbeck MSc Economics but I am unsure of its reputation in IB and potential contacts/networks?

A friend of mine did a Diploma at Birkbeck and said it was one of the worst experiences of her life. Many spoke ESL and she got lumbered with correcting simple grammar in group work assignments and overall, not a great experience.

If you don't think much of Birkbeck would it be better for me to pursue the CFA instead? I have a non-finance background (Law SOAS) & need a post-grad finance/economic qualification to bring my cv up to scratch with the competition.

Any suggestions, advice, thoughts much appreciated!
Original post by s18bgid

I was thinking of applying to Birkbeck MSc Economics but I am unsure of its reputation in IB and potential contacts/networks?

A friend of mine did a Diploma at Birkbeck and said it was one of the worst experiences of her life. Many spoke ESL and she got lumbered with correcting simple grammar in group work assignments and overall, not a great experience.

If you don't think much of Birkbeck would it be better for me to pursue the CFA instead? I have a non-finance background (Law SOAS) & need a post-grad finance/economic qualification to bring my cv up to scratch with the competition.

Hi, sorry you haven't had any responses to this yet - just giving it a quick bump, so hopefully someone will be along soon :smile:

I believe @Princepieman might know more about this, although I'm not certain!
Original post by s18bgid

how have you gone from only LSE to birkbeck? Imperial, Cass, Warwick also place well.

The likes of UCL, Durham, Bath and Bristol which, although don't traditionally place at the masters level as much are still way better.

Plus all of the European target schools..

really, I wouldn't bother getting a masters degree to break into front office finance unless it's from a good school
Reply 3
Hi thanks for the response! I should have applied to Imperial but now too late =(
This sentence makes a lot of sense to me 'I wouldn't bother getting a masters degree to break into front office finance unless it's from a good school' & you have saved 10s of thousands worth of debt which I dont think a masters from Birkbeck can justify

Wondering what your thoughts might be on the CFA? It is cheap and distance-based independent study.

EDIT: Just checked out Imperial and they are recruiting. I will apply this weekend. Fingers crossed and thanks!
Original post by Princepieman
how have you gone from only LSE to birkbeck? Imperial, Cass, Warwick also place well.

The likes of UCL, Durham, Bath and Bristol which, although don't traditionally place at the masters level as much are still way better.

Plus all of the European target schools..

really, I wouldn't bother getting a masters degree to break into front office finance unless it's from a good school
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by s18bgid
Hi thanks for the response! I should have applied to Imperial but now too late =(
This sentence makes a lot of sense to me 'I wouldn't bother getting a masters degree to break into front office finance unless it's from a good school' & you have saved 10s of thousands worth of debt which I dont think a masters from Birkbeck can justify

Wondering what your thoughts might be on the CFA? It is cheap and distance-based independent study.

EDIT: Just checked out Imperial and they are recruiting. I will apply this weekend. Fingers crossed and thanks!

CFA isn’t worth it, its something most people do once on the job as a qualification just like ACCA or whatever accounting name you get
Reply 5
Original post by xtrembob
CFA isn’t worth it, its something most people do once on the job as a qualification just like ACCA or whatever accounting name you get

Not correct the CFA is a respected qualification and many roles ask for msc/CFA designation. Now they’re different because naturally no lectures etc but in terms of raw knowledge you get a lot and it would help you get a role.

Since poster is already looking at msc I would go down that road since it’s more holistic and they’re going to have to do CFA anyway depending where they end up, and it’s important to get a good name on CV.
Original post by IPEguy
Not correct the CFA is a respected qualification and many roles ask for msc/CFA designation. Now they’re different because naturally no lectures etc but in terms of raw knowledge you get a lot and it would help you get a role.

Since poster is already looking at msc I would go down that road since it’s more holistic and they’re going to have to do CFA anyway depending where they end up, and it’s important to get a good name on CV.

For IB the CFA won't counter balance a target. At the masters level you only have targets students coming in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending