The Student Room Group

Watching a surgery for the first time any advice

I’m at work experience in a hospital and tomorrow I get to watch a orthopaedic surgery. I’m very nervous as I have never seen a surgery or anything in real life as I’m only 17 and people keep telling me how bad it is and it’s only made me more nervous
And advice?
Original post by Madelin
I’m at work experience in a hospital and tomorrow I get to watch a orthopaedic surgery. I’m very nervous as I have never seen a surgery or anything in real life as I’m only 17 and people keep telling me how bad it is and it’s only made me more nervous
And advice?

It's not something to be worried about :smile: They'll ask you to change into scrubs and theatre shoes, and you'll be told where to stand. Depending on the type of operation, you might be able to see what's going on by looking around the surgeon or it may be on a screen. The patient will be covered up with numerous drapes, so the actual operation site won't be as extensive as it seems on TV.

Sometimes people feel unwell when they observe operations - if this happens, make sure you tell someone and they can help you. This is pretty common and no one will be annoyed at you.
Original post by Madelin
And advice?

Be nice to the runners and nurses, they are the ones who can answer questions and look after you. Do as you're told. Notice examples of good (or bad) team work and make notes afterwards, they may be useful if you apply for medicine and get interviews. Also you might like to chat to the anaesthetist, they have a very different role from the surgeon(s).
Reply 3
Thank you this really helped I got to watch some interesting surgery’s
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
It's not something to be worried about :smile: They'll ask you to change into scrubs and theatre shoes, and you'll be told where to stand. Depending on the type of operation, you might be able to see what's going on by looking around the surgeon or it may be on a screen. The patient will be covered up with numerous drapes, so the actual operation site won't be as extensive as it seems on TV.

Sometimes people feel unwell when they observe operations - if this happens, make sure you tell someone and they can help you. This is pretty common and no one will be annoyed at you.

Thank you this it was really helpful
Original post by Madelin
Thank you this really helped I got to watch some interesting surgery’s

How much hammering and sawing was there.
Reply 6
Original post by nexttime
How much hammering and sawing was there.

So much I was in theatre all day and saw 5 surgeries but I surprised my self at how okay I was with it and I really enjoyed my day :smile:
Reply 7
Operations, not surgeries!
Reply 8
Original post by Helenia
Operations, not surgeries!

I got told that yesterday but I don’t understand why?
Original post by Madelin
I got told that yesterday but I don’t understand why?

"Surgeries" makes you sound like you're trying out for a part on Grey's Anatomy :wink: It's operation in the UK.
Reply 10
Original post by Democracy
"Surgeries" makes you sound like you're trying out for a part on Grey's Anatomy :wink: It's operation in the UK.

Ha okay 😂
Reply 11
try not to vomit in the patient.
For invasive procedures I found that the acc surgeon (unless they were the ones you got the work exp through) didn’t stick around too long and were busy during the procedure- speaking to the anaesthetists and others in the team is just valuable!
How did you get the opportunity to do this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending