The Student Room Group

cheapest unis

what r the cheapest unis in the uk to live at? or in the area? like in terms of accomodation, food, transport etc.

Scroll to see replies

North generally (but not Durham so much)
Almost every university city/town from B'ham upwards and south of Edinburgh shouldn't have you struggling to find affordable living arrangements.
i remember reading sometime ago Aberystwyth was very cheap and Swansea for housing is quite cheap too. Also northern areas are fairly cheap.
Reply 4
All Chinese universities are not expensive.
What grade are you in?
What will you major in?
Can't go wrong with Welsh unis tbh! Very cheap and very enjoyable :smile:
Belfast is ridiculously cheap, groceries would be about £15 a week. when you're out of student halls, rent is around £250 a month (would 100% recommend halls for first year tho). translink does all transport here and they do student cards that give 50% off fares from July to Halloween, then 1/3 off the rest of the year. at that, a full bus ticket is only £1.20 max. A train to two hours away is £12.50 full price. I don't know if you drink, but if you do, average double and mixer is £5, unless it's a student night then it is £2.70
(edited 4 years ago)
University of South Wales! It depends what you're studying, but Treforest/Pontypridd in particular are pretty cheap. I saw someone advertising a room in a student house this afternoon for something like £55/week + £40/month bills!

Wales, generally, is a pretty good shout. :smile:
Original post by rjckk
All Chinese universities are not expensive.
What grade are you in?
What will you major in?

i aint goin china tf
but im going into y13, which is think is 12th grade and will prob do physics
Original post by CosimasDelphine
Can't go wrong with Welsh unis tbh! Very cheap and very enjoyable :smile:

Original post by cait1239
Belfast is ridiculously cheap, groceries would be about £15 a week. when you're out of student halls, rent is around £250 a month (would 100% recommend halls for first year tho). translink does all transport here and they do student cards that give 50% off fares from July to Halloween, then 1/3 off the rest of the year. at that, a full bus ticket is only £1.20 max. A train to two hours away is £12.50 full price. I don't know if you drink, but if you do, average double and mixer is £5, unless it's a student night then it is £2.70

Original post by damnshinoda
University of South Wales! It depends what you're studying, but Treforest/Pontypridd in particular are pretty cheap. I saw someone advertising a room in a student house this afternoon for something like £55/week + £40/month bills!

Wales, generally, is a pretty good shout. :smile:

how would going to uni outside of england work for someone living in england? does it even matter cuz i have a uk passport? r fees different?
Original post by samazimi
how would going to uni outside of england work for someone living in england? does it even matter cuz i have a uk passport? r fees different?

Fees are the same since they are determined by where you live (England). Another suggestion is Lancaster, in the North of England. Its a nice uni and a cheap city for rental costs. They're really good for Physics but want around AAB
You wouldnt need anything like a passport for Wales or Scotland as they are part of the UK so you just drive on the motorway or go on the train. Belfast is also in the UK so you shouldnt need a passport although as you are going by ferry or air I suspect you may need some form of ID. Maybe someone on here with more knowledge of Northern Ireland may be able to help
Any uni not in a big city and in the north will be fairly affordable (Lancaster is definitely the cheapest out of the unis that my friends go to!). London, Edinburgh, Surrey and Birmingham are all expensive.
Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!
Charlotte :smile:
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
If you're eligible for the whole maintenance loan, Cambridge. Living costs are pretty high, but probably not £3,500/year (the amount you'll get as a bursary) higher than elsewhere.
Reply 14
i aint goin china tf
but im going into y13, which is think is 12th grade and will prob do physics

Why not consider China?

It really doesn't change anything! the fees are the usual 9,250 a year

Lol! Do you work for the NI tourist board?!

£15 a week on groceries, eh? Where are you buying your food?
Original post by chlo_bel
Lol! Do you work for the NI tourist board?!

£15 a week on groceries, eh? Where are you buying your food?

hahaha I should do with all this promo lol. I shop in Tesco
Reply 18

What do you major in?
Original post by rjckk
What do you major in?

sociology with quantitative methods

Quick Reply

Latest