The Student Room Group

Would you date/remarry after your spouse's death?

Bit of a heavy topic.

Me and my fiancee/soulmate talked about it today. She told me how it used to be normal for a husband to have 7 wives and a woman only 1. I told her I would never remarry or look at another woman if she somehow passed away before me. I truly believe I would wait to see her again, and she assured me she would wait too. In fact, the idea of her moving on and being with someone else disgusts me both emotionally and physically.

Does anyone else feel like this with their partner? It's not really a talked about topic. I strongly believe true love for someone doesn't change based on circumstances.
Nope.
To be honest, the chances of me finding one person who tolerated me enough to get married and actually remain married to me until the end of their life (barring suicide fuelled by their utter hatred of being with me) is so slim that to find a second person the same would be nay-on-impossible. So even if I wanted to, I couldn't.
I probably won't marry more than once.
But I could date or live with another guy who was willing to act as one legal guardian to any child that I had, so that there would be someone to take care of the child if I died.
Absolutely yes.

Just because you're dead doesn't mean I'm gonna be miserable and live in pity. I'm gonna find me a new partner and start all over ~
Original post by Joel 96
Bit of a heavy topic.

Me and my fiancee/soulmate talked about it today. She told me how it used to be normal for a husband to have 7 wives and a woman only 1. I told her I would never remarry or look at another woman if she somehow passed away before me. I truly believe I would wait to see her again, and she assured me she would wait too. In fact, the idea of her moving on and being with someone else disgusts me both emotionally and physically.

Does anyone else feel like this with their partner? It's not really a talked about topic. I strongly believe true love for someone doesn't change based on circumstances.

I think it depends. If my fiance was to die now, considering how young I am it would be unrealistic for me to say I'll never look at another man again for the next 60+ years of my life. But if he died when I was in my 70s then I doubt I'll consider it. It would not be healthy for me to remain hooked on him if he died now. I'd be stuck in the past, depressed for the rest of my life. He wouldn't want that for me.
Original post by Joel 96
Bit of a heavy topic.

True love doesn’t change but there are f 7billion people in this world and you are still capable of finding someone to make you as happy or even more than the deceased partner.
So if my partner died and I happen to meet some down the road that am compatible with, I would go for it, that doesn’t change that I loved/love them.

It’s like people who break up/divorce but still care deeply for each other and are more like bffs now
Original post by Joel 96
Bit of a heavy topic.

(I am a strong atheist)

Longest relationship I've been in was 2 years but I'd try moving on, maybe it's different if you're with someone for 10 years. I'd sure as hell want my partner to move on as quick as possible, I'm gone and never coming back so why would I care?

If I truly believed there was something afterwards (and suicide doesn't work as a simple shortcut otherwise I'd do that, no family or anyone who would care much) then it would depend on how old I was and how long I was with them and how old I was. If we were together 20 years and she died at 65 then yeah I expect I'd stay single and wait for heaven. If we were together a few years and she died at 25 then no I'm not waiting, she isn't exactly going to care in 50 years.
Original post by Anonymous
Absolutely yes.

Just because you're dead doesn't mean I'm gonna be miserable and live in pity. I'm gonna find me a new partner and start all over ~

PRSOM
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
PRSOM

What?
Reply 10
It actually upsets me how alone I am on this. Does nobody else here like the idea of only staying fully committed to one person?

I will just say that I am religious and believe in an afterlife, so maybe that plays a part in the contrasting views here
uhmmmm.... aighttt ima 14 yr old so dont mind my grammar and unwise words i dont get enough experience but i would... just think about it wouldnt your spouse want you to b ehappy instead of mourning for something thats never going to comeback no matter what??? so in my opinion if i found love again i would plus youre making this new person happy too

Original post by Joel 96
Bit of a heavy topic.

What?

Please Rate Some Other Member - it won't let me upvote your comment because I've upvoted one of your posts recently. Which is interesting considering you're anonymous.
Original post by Joel 96
It actually upsets me how alone I am on this. Does nobody else here like the idea of only staying fully committed to one person?

I will just say that I am religious and believe in an afterlife, so maybe that plays a part in the contrasting views here

There are lots of wonderful people out there. I'm of the opinion that all we really have in life is time and people with whom to spend it.
Id shag about (sex to me is just fun and meaningless) but i i wouldnt remarry. Id stay loyal to my partner, i know id see him again once im dead too and dude, i couldnt deal with the love triangle after me and said new partner died 😂 plus, i know id Constantly compare the new guy to the old one, which just isnt fair on him
Reply 15
Id shag about (sex to me is just fun and meaningless) but i i wouldnt remarry. Id stay loyal to my partner, i know id see him again once im dead too and dude, i couldnt deal with the love triangle after me and said new partner died 😂 plus, i know id Constantly compare the new guy to the old one, which just isnt fair on him

Yeah I totally understand that. The sex thing would be hard, but I'd resist.
That love triangle would be super awkward... omg
I don't think you can answer that one as the circumstances are probably something you could not forsee.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending