The Student Room Group

Cats are selfish

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OhhEnnEmm
How's it a discussion? Cats are pure selfish end of :biggrin: I've never seen a cat do a nice thing

Yeah I see animals doing a good deeds on a daily.
Like yesterday I saw a Rhino help an old lady across the street
Two day ago I saw a rabbit hold the door open for someone
Original post by hallamstudents
Do you like other animals getting close to your face or is it just cats?

Back home, my parents have been raising a parrot for 9.5 years now. Despite me having been living away for years already, he still remembers me and calls my name whenever he hears my voice on the phone:h:. Whenever I visit my parents and see him, his reactions towards me are really beyond description, and yes, he brings his face close to mine even through the cage. He not only does this but also starts talking with that approach (usually flirting with me or doing kissing sounds to me), yes, with his face totally close to mine:biggrin::biggrin: I think you can imagine such a scene and hopefully it would feel at least a little bit more acceptable:biggrin: I don't know if other parrots are raised to behave as such with their owners, but believe me it is indeed sweet!
Original post by 04MR17
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff. :yes:

Haha yes exactly!! I feel they just make a mess then look at you and tell you to clean it up! I guess you don't have a cat then?
Sophia
Original post by angel.xo
i want a cat when i am a bit older so i can cuddle it and read books with it :emog:

Do they really cuddle though? I feel like they like their own space!
Sophia
Original post by MidgetFever
I dunno... My cat is always bringing me unrequited gifts of mice.

Ah no I hate that!! Makes me so sad :frown:
Sophia
Original post by Guru Jason
A cat would eat you if you died. A dog would guard your body with it's life.

Dogs>Cats in almost every regard.

Agreed!! I have an old english sheep dog and he would defo protect me if i needed it! Can't imagine a cat doing that! What pets do you have?
Sophia :smile:
Original post by Cross Eyed BJ
Cats are boring. I much prefer dogs.

Thank you!!! Dogs are so much more fun, but then again harder work i suppose! Do you have a dog?
Sophia
Original post by OhhEnnEmm
How's it a discussion? Cats are pure selfish end of :biggrin: I've never seen a cat do a nice thing

LOL
This debate is soooo....
Dogs are way better end of
No Agree or Disagree on that.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
To be honest, I think cats are selfish. That doesn't mean they can't be loveable and affectionate, as those things aren't exclusive.

My cat comes to cuddle me, purrs at me, greets me when I come in through the front door.. but it's always on her terms, when she wants. She doesn't come when called unless she wants, sometimes she won't even twitch if I call her.

Dogs on the other hand are trained from day 1 to be loyal, and there is a definite different. You do not truly "own" a cat in the same way, as they are their own creatures, but that's not to say that they're not still great pets, and you can definitely get affection from them!

This is true, i respect that answer! They can be loveable at times but yes still selfish! It just depends what you like/prefer i suppose. Would you prefer a cat or dog then?
This is true, i respect that answer! They can be loveable at times but yes still selfish! It just depends what you like/prefer i suppose. Would you prefer a cat or dog then?

I like both - the only thing I would change about my cat is that I wish she would be cuddly when I want her to be.. with a dog it's just unconditional love, which is different. But cats on the whole look after themselves, and I wouldn't want the commitment of being a dog owner.. so to be honest, a cat is a happy medium for me, and maybe a dog when I'm old and more settled - or even when I'm retired maybe, as I think dogs can keep you young!
I have a cat and she has all the characteristics one wouldn’t want in a pet. And that’s why I like her
Haven't you heard of dogs who eat their owners when they die?

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/06/pets-dogs-cats-eat-dead-owners-forensics-science/
Original post by Guru Jason
A cat would eat you if you died. A dog would guard your body with it's life.

Dogs>Cats in almost every regard.
Reply 73
I believe cats are selfish creatures who show no affection and think they’re better than their owners. They creep up on you on the sofa, get too close to your face and scratch everything in sight.

Agree/Disagree?

they can be selfish when it comes to food but that's all, they can be really loving and affectionate. So what if they were selfish? They're not human and deserve to be treated like they are above us, they aren't here for long. All animals are precious, we don't deserve them and the way some people treat them is disgusting.
(edited 4 years ago)
I bet the majority of those who voted that cats are selfish don't own a cat.
Original post by angel.xo
i want a cat when i am a bit older so i can cuddle it and read books with it :emog:

Everyone's dream
The majority of people who voted probably have not even touched a cat in their life.
Original post by Telamonian Ajax
I bet the majority of those who voted that cats are selfish don't own a cat.
Original post by MosesDaBoy
Yeah I see animals doing a good deeds on a daily.
Like yesterday I saw a Rhino help an old lady across the street
Two day ago I saw a rabbit hold the door open for someone

Oh arrogance and sarcasm, low, low, low forms of wit!

I've seen a dog save a child from being hit by a car. More so the type of thing I was thinking...

I can think of plenty of "nice" things dogs and other animals do that I don't typically witness in most cats.

Animals do still have their own temperaments, traits and natures. (Something that is obvious, but you'd seemingly prefer to ignore so that you can mock others in order to make yourself feel really really special and clever, like a child in a playground...?)

If they didn't have their own natures/traits, would we be nearly so interested in them as companions?

I'm saying I witness more of these traits in dogs and various other animals, as opposed to cats. -

Cats have just tended to display a much more selfish nature than many other domesticated pets in my experience, and according to many friends/family.

Btw, I didn't say "good deeds", I said "nice things" - It's a nice thing to smile at someone, but I wouldn't call it a good deed. A good deed is always a nice thing, but a nice thing isn't always a good thing. They have different implications, and aren't always interchangeable both ways. But you know that, and again would prefer to look past it in order to feel very special, whilst looking very silly:wink:.

How about asking for more insight, as opposed to making me cringe with your dead ass humour, next time?

Quick Reply

Latest