The Student Room Group

Breaking News: Iran seizes British Flagged ship

Scroll to see replies

We shall send forth our mighty navy to crush them, under our brave new leader.

BojoBoast.jpg
Reply 3
reports of another tanker the Mesdar being seized today. this vessel is Liberian flagged but run by a UK company.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=mesdar&src=typd
Tit for Tat I suppose, it's a good thing we got involved.
That was entirely unpredictable.
Trump is threatening them. "They've made a big mistake".

The Mullahs will be in a right spin.
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
That was entirely unpredictable.

Almost feel it serves them right for continuing to ply their trade there when it was obvious they were going to hijack any British ships they could intercept. Let them keep doing it. Will make the world wonder just how many ships mysteriously wander into Iranian waters all of a sudden.
Reply 8
Actions have consequences...
Reply 9
Didn't we seize one of theirs? Why not all sides deescalate, this is getting worrying.
Original post by StriderHort
Tit for Tat I suppose, it's a good thing we got involved.

We are Britain. If we seized the Iranian tanker first, and refuse to release it, we have every right to because we are a more civilised nation and have never waged war on other countries, unlike Iran. Let us unite with Trump, who has shown profound wisdom and class domestically in in international affairs.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
We shall send forth our mighty navy to crush them, under our brave new leader.

BojoBoast.jpg

Let us unite with the peace loving Trump, and the pacifist Bolton, as well as humanitarian Nethanyahu.

Boris will deliver Brexit, which will surely be amazing for our economy, and then show Iran. Perhaps we can ask our great ally, Saudi Arabia to whom we have signed billions of dollars worth of arms sales, who are shelling those terrorist women and children in Yemen to help us?
We might barely escape economic chaos due to Brexit, let us please not get involved in a war. We have a whole generation living with their parents and unable to afford houses, a healthcare system on the brinks, and instead of that, we want to play Trumps utterly reckless games in the ME. Years of good negotiation got an Iranian government who vowed they would never build a nuclear weapon either way to sit down and sign away their ability to utilise nuclear energy. Trump ripped that up , throwing years of hard work down the drain.

Enough of these games. Sit down and talk, and stop following the US and look out for our interests.
The ship was seized because it was endangering shipping in the narrow Strait of Hormuz shipping lines: it had switched off its transponders and had entered the Strait of Hormuz via the wrong channel (there are pre-defined lanes in the Strait - one for incoming and one for outgoing shipping).

Regardless, the UK seized the Iranian Grace 1 oil tanker off the coast of Gibraltar. Iran warned the UK that not releasing it would have consequences and Iran would retaliate in kind. Iran waited and gave the UK the chance to de-escalate and release the ship. Instead, this morning they extended the detention period of the Grace 1 tanker for an additional 30 days. A few hours later, Iran made good on its promises.

Now, Iran has leverage over the UK to negotiate for the release of the Grace 1. Iran also showed that it can and will act to protect its interests. It can seize any ship at any time of its choosing. It doesn't want to and will only do so in response to a violation of its interests/rights, but it will do so if it has to.

The UK was stupid to get involved in Trump's neo-con games against Iran. Now I hope the UK has learned its lesson and won't repeat its stupid mistakes.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Palmyra
The UK was stupid to get involved in Trump's neo-con games against Iran. Now I hope the UK has learned its lesson and won't repeat its stupid mistakes.

"We're off to bomb Iranq!"

"Iranq? Don't you at least want someone to 'hold your beer'?"

"No! we drank it already!"

"Figures"
Original post by Palmyra
The ship was seized because it was endangering shipping in the narrow Strait of Hormuz shipping lines: it had switched off its transponders and had entered the Strait of Hormuz via the wrong channel (there are pre-defined lanes in the Strait - one for incoming and one for outgoing shipping).

Source needed.

Whereas multiple sources say that the tanker didn't have its transponder turned off until after being seized; standard Iranian misinformation.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/07/19/british-oil-tanker-seized-strait-hormuz/
"If you obey, you will be safe" to ship in international waters lmao

:rofl:

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Palmyra

Regardless, the UK seized the Iranian Grace 1 oil tanker off the coast of Gibraltar. Iran warned the UK that not releasing it would have consequences and Iran would retaliate in kind. Iran waited and gave the UK the chance to de-escalate and release the ship. Instead, this morning they extended the detention period of the Grace 1 tanker for an additional 30 days. A few hours later, Iran made good on its promises.

Now, Iran has leverage over the UK to negotiate for the release of the Grace 1. Iran also showed that it can and will act to protect its interests. It can seize any ship at any time of its choosing. It doesn't want to and will only do so in response to a violation of its interests/rights, but it will do so if it has to.

"The ship was seized because it was endangering shipping in the narrow Strait of Hormuz shipping lines: it had switched off its transponders and had entered the Strait of Hormuz via the wrong channel (there are pre-defined lanes in the Strait - one for incoming and one for outgoing shipping)."

Oh really? How awfully convenient for Iran that the ships captain and navigator did that in one of the worlds most congested shipping channels.

"Regardless, the UK seized the Iranian Grace 1 oil tanker off the coast of Gibraltar. Iran warned the UK that not releasing it would have consequences and Iran would retaliate in kind. Iran waited and gave the UK the chance to de-escalate and release the ship. Instead, this morning they extended the detention period of the Grace 1 tanker for an additional 30 days. A few hours later, Iran made good on its promises."

The Grace 1 was seized in full compliance with international law. The correct approach would be for Iran to instigate an appeal through the international courts. If the U.K. has not complied with international law then all of the instruments available to punish the U.K. for high-seas piracy are open to the international courts.

"Now, Iran has leverage over the UK to negotiate for the release of the Grace 1. Iran also showed that it can and will act to protect its interests. It can seize any ship at any time of its choosing. It doesn't want to and will only do so in response to a violation of its interests/rights, but it will do so if it has to. "

What leverage? Ya think the U.K. is a pushover? Dream on. All Iran is doing is providing all the evidence needed to build an international patrol to protect shipping and ratchet up sanctions. Iran will lose. The noose is closing around the neck.

"The UK was stupid to get involved in Trump's neo-con games against Iran. Now I hope the UK has learned its lesson and won't repeat its stupid mistakes."

Goodness me. Iran's actions reek of desperation. I feel for her innocent people suffering hardship, unfortunately, it's the fault of the Iranian leadership playing games with nukes and supporting terrorist organisations that is the problem.
Original post by uberteknik
Goodness me. Iran's actions reek of desperation. I feel for her innocent people suffering hardship, unfortunately, it's the fault of the Iranian leadership playing games with nukes and supporting terrorist organisations that is the problem.

I kind of feel 'Iran' & 'UK' are near interchangable there :rolleyes:
If only the US and UK didn't overthrow Mosaddegh's democratic government in 1953 to retain/control their oil supply - less likely to have such a despotic regime headed by religious nutjobs.

Iran must not be allowed to possess or develop WMDs under any circumstances.

As for this desperate attempt to get leverage of a tanker in international waters, failed the first time, definitely planned/motivated by possibility of leverage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending