What do you think happens after death? Watch

username4228878
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What do you think? Do you believe in the afterlife or do you think that there is nothing after death and we just stop existing?
StBernards
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The same thing will happen as in all living creatures. We die, we rot.... that’s it
Do we really believe that we somehow live on? All those billions of people who have died since humans first walked on this earth somehow live on?
We have one life and then it ends.... no matter what those religious nutters try and tell us
(Original post by username4228878)
What do you think? Do you believe in the afterlife or do you think that there is nothing after death and we just stop existing?
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oblivion. Like before you were born, except you aren't born again.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not a lot, really.
adviceisallineed
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yes, I believe in afterlife so we either go to hell (for eternal punishment or pay off our sins) or go to heaven (for eternal happiness and be with god and our family and friends)
(Original post by username4228878)
Study6076
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
there has to be some sort of afterlife or this life would just be useless and unfair because for example if a child dies in a car crash, don't they have the same right as us to live and cherish life so what would happen to them?
adviceisallineed
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what religion do you follow?
(Original post by Study6076)
there has to be some sort of afterlife or this life would just be useless and unfair because for example if a child dies in a car crash, don't they have the same right as us to live and cherish life so what would happen to them?
Study6076
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i am agnostic, why?
(Original post by adviceisallineed)
what religion do you follow?
Last edited by Study6076; 1 month ago
adviceisallineed
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
just interested lol

you said you believe in afterlife, like what do you believe happens? because like aren't agnostics confused about the existence of god?

sorry if I said anything wrong, just curious
(Original post by Study6076)
i am agnostic, why?
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No one will ever know until they actually die
Study6076
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yes sort of but i am just using my logic.
(Original post by adviceisallineed)
just interested lol

you said you believe in afterlife, like what do you believe happens? because like aren't agnostics confused about the existence of god?

sorry if I said anything wrong, just curious
StBernards
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If a child dies in a car crash then they are dead... they are as dead as someone who dies in their bed aged 95. They may have been unlucky and unfortunate but that is the chance we all take when we are born.. we don’t deserve to live after death just because of an accident. We die and then that is all
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All the evidence suggests that consciousness is the result of brain activity, this stops when you die, so probably no afterlife. Although, we don't know an awful amount about our consciousness and I've never died, so :dontknow:
Last edited by Obolinda; 1 month ago
Indiana.Jones
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I believe in an afterlife. I will present my limited understanding of it.
Those who think that after death we will simply cease to exist, our bodies will rot and that’s it, should also think about how life actually came about. If you want to put it scientifically, then think about how we as human beings came about. What does science say? Billions of years of evolution! - from microscopic organisms to the complex beings that we are today. Then why is it not possible for us to be raised again? Looking at the very nature surrounding us we can get clues. In winter when the trees shed their leaves, I am amazed to think how a ‘lifeless’ tree will soon become full of life again. It is in front of us. Science is amazing because no matter where you look or how much more into detail you go, you realise that life is too complex and amazingly genius to simply be an accident. I am not a Physicist, but trying to understand bits of quantum physics, I understood that life really is beyond our comprehension - we have not fully understood everything, even though we are at our ‘peak intelligence’.

We will be raised again, but we probably cannot fully understand how. When you die, you go to an intermediate space, before you go to heaven and hell. That intermediate space is probably a long period, but when we are awake from that, it will seem to us as if just a short amount of time has passed - just like when we wake up from sleep, but in reality more time has gone by....

We are here to nurture our soul. Our soul will be given a new body or become a body. If our soul is not sensitive to the pleasures of connecting with God and doing good, then we are putting our future bodies at disadvantage. The pleasures of the next life will be more intense. Not talking about materialistic stuff, as next life will be different but better than our imagination if we qualify for heaven, otherwise hell is worse. Everything is in the hands of God and God knows best. This life is nothing compared to what is to come.
DanSmith572
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it's very vain that us humans think we're something more than other creations and deserve an after life and they don't. It states that god created all, so why would he give us an after life and not animals?

I don't believe in any gods fyi, it's just something other humans do because they don't have an answer for everything so they turn to religion and here say.
Heyysarah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which religion are you referring to?
(Original post by DanSmith572)
I think it's very vain that us humans think we're something more than other creations and deserve an after life and they don't. It states that god created all, so why would he give us an after life and not animals?

I don't believe in any gods fyi, it's just something other humans do because they don't have an answer for everything so they turn to religion and here say.
DanSmith572
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Heyysarah)
Which religion are you referring to?
Any that believes in after life or that there's gods.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Indiana.Jones)
You have no understanding of it, as there is zero evidence for one.

Then why is it not possible for us to be raised again?
There is a difference between something not being impossible and there being evidence for it. There is none for an afterlife. There *is* evidence that, as parts of our brain die, we lose the person that we were.

Looking at the very nature surrounding us we can get clues. In winter when the trees shed their leaves, I am amazed to think how a ‘lifeless’ tree will soon become full of life again.
Simplistic, religious "thinking".

I am not a Physicist, but trying to understand bits of quantum physics, I understood that life really is beyond our comprehension - we have not fully understood everything, even though we are at our ‘peak intelligence’.
Speak for yourself.

We will be raised again, but we probably cannot fully understand how. When you die, you go to an intermediate space, before you go to heaven and hell. That intermediate space is probably a long period, but when we are awake from that, it will seem to us as if just a short amount of time has passed - just like when we wake up from sleep, but in reality more time has gone by....
You have ZERO evidence for this, yet you're sure of it. That is a problem.

If our soul is not sensitive to the pleasures of connecting with God and doing good, then we are putting our future bodies at disadvantage.
NO evidence for a soul (you can't even define it in physical terms), or a god.

The pleasures of the next life will be more intense. Not talking about materialistic stuff, as next life will be different but better than our imagination if we qualify for heaven, otherwise hell is worse. Everything is in the hands of God and God knows best. This life is nothing compared to what is to come.
Indoctrinated nonsense. It's as likely as that invisible, yellow unicorn that's following you.
Indiana.Jones
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are free to think whatever you want to think. No pressure.
(Original post by RogerOxon)
You have no understanding of it, as there is zero evidence for one.

There is a difference between something not being impossible and there being evidence for it. There is none for an afterlife. There *is* evidence that, as parts of our brain die, we lose the person that we were.

Simplistic, religious "thinking".

Speak for yourself.

You have ZERO evidence for this, yet you're sure of it. That is a problem.

NO evidence for a soul (you can't even define it in physical terms), or a god.

Indoctrinated nonsense. It's as likely as that invisible, yellow unicorn that's following you.
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Those who think that after death we will simply cease to exist, our bodies will rot and that’s it, should also think about how life actually came about. If you want to put it scientifically, then think about how we as human beings came about. What does science say? Billions of years of evolution! - from microscopic organisms to the complex beings that we are today. Then why is it not possible for us to be raised again? Looking at the very nature surrounding us we can get clues. In winter when the trees shed their leaves, I am amazed to think how a ‘lifeless’ tree will soon become full of life again. It is in front of us. Science is amazing because no matter where you look or how much more into detail you go, you realise that life is too complex and amazingly genius to simply be an accident. I am not a Physicist, but trying to understand bits of quantum physics, I understood that life really is beyond our comprehension - we have not fully understood everything, even though we are at our ‘peak intelligence’.

We are here to nurture our soul. Our soul will be given a new body or become a body. If our soul is not sensitive to the pleasures of connecting with God and doing good, then we are putting our future bodies at disadvantage. The pleasures of the next life will be more intense. Not talking about materialistic stuff, as next life will be different but better than our imagination if we qualify for heaven, otherwise hell is worse. Everything is in the hands of God and God knows best. This life is nothing compared to what is to come.
I think if you were raised again, it still wouldn't be you. If you have matter, it can exist in different forms, but it doesn't have to make up a conscious entity and if it did our memories won't be restored and our mental existence wouldn't be the same.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (150)
24.79%
Pop (146)
24.13%
Jazz (26)
4.3%
Classical (35)
5.79%
Hip-Hop (106)
17.52%