The Student Room Group
It may help people to advise you if you let us know what the subject is you have an offer for.

To be honest, the most important thing is to choose a uni that's right for you. This means it's a good idea to think about what each uni can offer you in terms of course content, facilities, location and so on- maybe make a pros/cons list for each.

How long do you have to make a decision?
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
It may help people to advise you if you let us know what the subject is you have an offer for.

To be honest, the most important thing is to choose a uni that's right for you. This means it's a good idea to think about what each uni can offer you in terms of course content, facilities, location and so on- maybe make a pros/cons list for each.

How long do you have to make a decision?

Thank you for your reply.
I have applied for a bachelors degree in forensic science and I’m torn between the two Universities, both offer excellent modules in their courses and I would be happy to go to either.
I really just wanted other people’s opinions on the Universities, whether they had an experience with them in any way and were they happy there?, and cost of living etc.
I have 7 days to confirm my choice.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by B1999R
I have applied for a bachelors degree in forensic science and I’m torn between the two Universities, both offer excellent modules in their courses and I would be happy to go to either.
I really just wanted other people’s opinions on the Universities, whether they had an experience with them in any way and where they happy there?, and cost of living etc.

You could try looking at our sub forums for each uni as well:

Anglia Ruskin University
Teesside University

Which might help you get an idea about each university.

Your biggest cost whilst at uni will be rent, so it might be a good idea to look on sites like rightmove to get an idea about housing costs in both locations as well.
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You could try looking at our sub forums for each uni as well:

Anglia Ruskin University
Teesside University

Which might help you get an idea about each university.

Your biggest cost whilst at uni will be rent, so it might be a good idea to look on sites like rightmove to get an idea about housing costs in both locations as well.

Thank you for your help and advice.
I will take a look at the two sub forums.
😊
Hi @B1999R

Congratulations on both of your offers.

If you have any questions that we can help you with about your Teesside University course offer just let me know :smile:

Best wishes
Laura
Original post by B1999R
I have been offered a place at Teeside University and also at Anglia Ruskin University, has anyone any information on which would be the better choice please?
Any input into these two Universities would be appreciated.
Anglia Ruskin is probably not going to make the student loan stretch very far at all. Cambridge is a really expensive place to live.

I would go with Teesside, you'll get more bang for your buck. Trust me, money problems at uni are inevitable but they don't need to be Cambridge level money problems, unless your attending the other university in that city.
Have you visited both unis? :smile:
Original post by B1999R
I really just wanted other people’s opinions on the Universities, whether they had an experience with them in any way and were they happy there?, and cost of living etc.
Hello, I just finished my degree in Forensic Science at Anglia Ruskin University! I am an international student and came all the way from the US to attend and I really enjoyed my time there. I really enjoyed the practicality of all of the modules and the endless support from the staff. By the end of the course, there are so many ways to enter the work place and several of my friends had jobs before even graduating. I don’t know a lot about the other university but I would definitely recommend ARU for forensic science!! As far as living, it can be a bit pricy, but it is a really lovely city to live in. I hope this helps and don’t hesitate to ask me any questions about my experience if this helps you with your decision! xx Alexandra
Original post by She-Ra
Have you visited both unis? :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you very much for your reply.
I have just been looking into the cost of living in both places, and yes I agree with you that Cambridge is more expensive.
Time to try and work out my finances.
Thanks again.

Original post by Realitysreflexx
Anglia Ruskin is probably not going to make the student loan stretch very far at all. Cambridge is a really expensive place to live.

I would go with Teesside, you'll get more bang for your buck. Trust me, money problems at uni are inevitable but they don't need to be Cambridge level money problems, unless your attending the other university in that city.
Reply 10
Hi Alexandra😊
Congratulations on finishing your degree.
It’s good to hear that you enjoyed studying at Anglia Ruskin, and that you were happy with the course, that’s very encouraging for me to hear.
Can I ask you where you lived? Did you stay on campus or somewhere private?
I have been looking and prices and it seems to be around the £160+ a week for an en-suite room.
I’m very keen to attend Ruskin but the cost of living there is a big factor to consider.
Thanks again.
Original post by ARUStudents
Hello, I just finished my degree in Forensic Science at Anglia Ruskin University! I am an international student and came all the way from the US to attend and I really enjoyed my time there. I really enjoyed the practicality of all of the modules and the endless support from the staff. By the end of the course, there are so many ways to enter the work place and several of my friends had jobs before even graduating. I don’t know a lot about the other university but I would definitely recommend ARU for forensic science!! As far as living, it can be a bit pricy, but it is a really lovely city to live in. I hope this helps and don’t hesitate to ask me any questions about my experience if this helps you with your decision! xx Alexandra
You'll need to live in cluster flats in the UK if you want to less than £150 a week. (shared bathrooms)

This is a rule of thumb for any student accomodation.

For example in Nottingham (slightly to the North) my room for this year costs £106 per week.

But if i were to try and get an ensuite in the same complex, i would be looking at £152 a week...

If you want an ensuite it's going to cost alot in any city. So just be aware of that.

Original post by B1999R
Hi Alexandra😊
It’s good to hear that you enjoyed studying at Anglia Ruskin, and that you were happy with the course, that’s very encouraging for me to hear.
I have been looking and prices and it seems to be around the £160+ a week for an en-suite room.
I’m very keen to attend Ruskin but the cost of living there is a big factor to consider.
Thanks again.
Reply 12
Thank you for sharing your information about accommodation prices with me, it’s most helpful.
Time to trawl the internet to find accommodation and see what’s available.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
You'll need to live in cluster flats in the UK if you want to less than £150 a week. (shared bathrooms)

This is a rule of thumb for any student accomodation.

For example in Nottingham (slightly to the North) my room for this year costs £106 per week.

But if i were to try and get an ensuite in the same complex, i would be looking at £152 a week...

If you want an ensuite it's going to cost alot in any city. So just be aware of that.
Hello again☺️ I lived at CB1 my first two years and then moved into a house for my final year. CB1 was GREAT...but expensive. It can cost up to £160 a week or more. Living in a house was a bit cheaper but then you have to consider how far you are willing to live away from uni. I also have some friends who commuted, but again, it may be very time consuming, especially for early classes. I think it is personal preference and what you are willing to spend/how much time you want to put into getting to uni. However, even though it is expensive it is such a lovely place to live...so beautiful (so that is a pro😂). Hope this answers any questions! xx Alexandra
Original post by B1999R
Hi Alexandra😊
Thanks again.
Reply 14
Thank you again, your help and advice is very much appreciated. ☺️
Original post by ARUStudents
Hello again☺️ I lived at CB1 my first two years and then moved into a house for my final year. CB1 was GREAT...but expensive. It can cost up to £160 a week or more. Living in a house was a bit cheaper but then you have to consider how far you are willing to live away from uni. I also have some friends who commuted, but again, it may be very time consuming, especially for early classes. I think it is personal preference and what you are willing to spend/how much time you want to put into getting to uni. However, even though it is expensive it is such a lovely place to live...so beautiful (so that is a pro😂). Hope this answers any questions! xx Alexandra
Hey I’m in the same situation now! You have any clarity now?

Latest

Trending

Trending